Dewalt 788 Scroll Saw Steal

Hey guys, 

Today I lucked out like no other and wanted to share with you all.  I have been searching for a Dewalt 788 for a while now and have only been finding the occasional one pop up on craigslist, normally costing between $300-$400 and they get snatched up before I even see the ad.  I was surfing craigslist tools today and not much had changed from the night before when I had checked it last, darn.  Then I took some time to post some various things the wife wanted sold on the site and when I finished was about to get up but thought I should check the tools section one more time before moving on with my day.  Lucky I did because the top item on the list was a Dewalt 788 scroll saw which had been posted less than twenty minutes before and only asking $100!  I looked at the pictures and it looked practically new.  I quickly called the number... no answer, I then texted and was drafting up an email when I get a response to my text saying that it worked well and I could come take a look a few hours later.  

When the evening rolled around, my wife and I hopped in the car and drove nearly an hour to get to the seller's house.  We went down stairs to the basement and saw the beautiful saw.  I asked to test it so we plugged it in and the machine hummed to life with little to no vibration and not much noise at all.  The seller asked if I wanted to cut some wood and I said "of course", excited to give it a try.  While he was fetching the wood, I played with the blade tension-er, speed control, and made sure the light worked, then turned it off.  The seller came down the stairs with wood in hand and I excitedly flipped the switch to test this bad boy out... silence.  It turned out the outlet breaker had popped the safety fuse so we brought the saw up stairs to the garage.  We plugged it in and flipped the switch... still nothing.  Perplexed, the seller found a new fuse and swapped it out and nothing at all.  

The seller then apologized for wasting our time and gas and figured I no longer wanted the saw.  I asked if he would come down on the price and offered $60 since I was taking a risk on a broken machine.  He agreed after a short (felt like an eternity) pause and I hauled it off.  When I got home, I plugged it in to check if it would work and nothing, then I pulled the switch housing off the saw and vacuumed out the debris... still nothing.  Then, I noticed one of the wire terminals was very loose where it connected to the switch and I held it tight and the saw hummed to life.  Now I have a flawlessly working Dewalt 788 and only paid $60 for it!  I can't wait to start making saw dust with this thing.  

Anyone have any suggestions on wood to practice on just to get the hang of it?  Also, what blades would you guys recommend?

-Max

"We should not moor a ship with one anchor, nor our life with one hope."

Current Build: Benjamin Latham, Model Shipways

On Hold:  Pilot Boat Phantom, Model Shipways

Completed Builds:  Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff, Midwest;  The Dinghy, Midwest;  Sharpie Schooner, Midwest

Hey Max, good for you! What a find! I'll bet you're still grinning like a Cheshire Cat, and probably will be for some time yet.

I'm no expert, but I know a lot of folks recommend the Flying Dutchman brand of saw blades. I've just got some myself and so far I'm liking them a lot - enough to order more anyway. The type I'm using are called Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse and they come in a range of sizes. I suggest that you buy a dozen or so in a variety of sizes and test them out to see what you like. Over here they're costing me AUD $4.50 per dozen (about US $4.00). With all that money you just saved, you could buy a life-time's supply!

Have fun with the new toy. :)

Edited by gjdale

Great find!!!!  

I've been using both Olson and some from Saw Bird.  I think it would depend on what you're planning to cut.  My current blades are the Saw Bird #3 Double Reverse Tooth (TPI 20) with 8 reverse teeth.  Good for 1/8" to 1/4" thick wood.  I use the Olson Skip Tooth #400 (TPI 33) for the thinner woods.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great find. sometimes a little poking around can yield great results. My best find lately was a 50 inch TV Walmart had as a floor model. The remote was missing and the bolts for the stand had been lost. I bought a remote at Walmart and stopped at the hardware store on the way home for bolts and Voila a $1300 MSRP TV for $500. Not quite sixty bucks but a great savings. That was 2 yrs ago BTW   Bill

Edited by reklein

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies!  The flying dutchman blades were the ones I remembered being highly recommended and I am ordering some of those for sure.  Mark and reklein, you guys found some great deals as well, without the added risk of buying a broken item so well done!  Jud, I thought about contacting him and letting him at least know the saw started working but the cragslist post is now removed and my phone is kind of glitchy so I cant seem to find the text message thread that would reveal the seller's number.  Oh well, I took a risk and it paid off.

I have been so happy today, going around town and looking for stuff to get all set up now.  I found a great woodworking shop that has a decent selection of hardwoods so I got a few sheets of various species, a little variety pack of Olsen blades to get me working before my flying dutchman blades come in, and I have been reading though some books and whatnot on scroll sawing.  I think I am going to do a few scroll saw projects just for fun now that I have my saw haha, modelling will have to wait at least a few days.  

Well, happy modelling guys!

-Max

Completed Builds:  Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff, Midwest;  The Dinghy, Midwest;  Sharpie Schooner, Midwest

That's a very lucky find, well done!

I have the same saw and I use the Flying Dutchman Ultra reverse blades in a variety of sizes, mostly #3 and #5 and I have had very good experience with them, although they don't last forever cutting hardwoods like boxwood and Swiss pear.

Ben

Ben,

I've found that buying blades with fine teeth is a better deal when buying them by the gross.  Cherry wears them out in a hurry also.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

My flying dutchmen blades just came in and I got a couple of the starter packs that come with a variety of sizes in the selected blade layouts.  I think I will probably start buying the blades by the gross once I find which blades I prefer and which sizes etc.  I am excited to get started making saw dust but now that school has started back up, I fear it might be some time before I have any real time to cut.  Also, I need to find some time to tune the saw a bit, it has a little bit of the knock that seems to be common with dewalts and I may need to adjust the length of the rod that aligns the upper blade holder to get a better blade track.  That may just have been the way I put the blade in though, I just havent had an opportunity to mess with it since I cut my first project.

-Max

• 1 month later...

Nice score :)  I bought the same scroll saw a year ago off of Craigslist as a "used once for 5min" deal.  Paid a bit more that you did and got the stand (nice) and light (not as necessary), but it's a very nice tool.  I've used it quite a bit the last few months and it does the job nicely.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Congratulations Max, it really is great when the stars align in the universe.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.