HMS Victory by mtdoramike - FINISHED - Artesania Latina

Cool, I was not expecting her to be in full dress, now then i'm inteding in doing the same, Mike help a buddy and put tons of pictures on, close ups too please, looking stunning and one that really fuels the debate to paint or not to paint thats for sure. Beautifully built mate.

Thanks George and Paul. I'm studying the rigging plan thoroughly, which isn't bad, but I have had better rigging plans with Constructo and Mamoli models. So some educational guess work may be in order. To help with this issue, I have ordered Anatomy of the Ship HMS Victory from Amazon and expect it in a few days. Hopefully this will give me a little more guidance than just the rigging plan alone.

mike

I have run across an area that I'm finding problematic or at least to me it is......At the stern portion of the Vic, it only has one belaying pin rail, which is directly behind the mizzen mast. The problem I'm seeing is that the pin rail has at most about 8-10 belaying stations and on the rigging diagram, it shows each belaying point being utilized for any where from two to three rigging lines. I only have one line belayed to each point in the photo and as you can see, it gets quite bulked up with one line muchless two or three lines. Most ships that I have built has multiple belaying pin rails near the Mizzen mast as well as port and starboard sides of the stern section.

The AL kit also contains what I call a green rigging thread, to be used for most of the running rigging, I prefer a light tan or cream colored line for the running rigging, but it is what it is. I'm trying to stay as close to the kit supplied items as I can as to give an overall persective of the kit. But the rigging thread is testing this. 

Lastly, I usually try and use my own rigging thread and prefer a cotton blend rather than straight cotton thread because of the fuzz factor. I tried waxing the lines, but wasn't happy with this result. So after much consideration, I recalled something that I did years ago when I was stuck with straight cotton rigging line, I went to my wife's make up cabinet, grabbed her can of hair spray. I spray a good bit on my fingers and then run the rigging lines between my fingers a couple of times to coat them with the hair spray. It seems to tame that pesky fuzz quite nicely. Fortunately it's the spray that drys none sticky. My wife isn't too happy about the donation, but I told her I would buy her a case of the stuff if I continue to use it :rolleyes:

mike   

post-13395-0-90308600-1438892861_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-01461100-1438892886_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-51525000-1438892892_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-88692500-1438892896_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtdoramike

Some of these kits leave something to be desired when it comes to many things, but the rigging plans on my own come right out and say to use my own judgement when it comes to belay points, and to drill extra holes and add pins, and dump more than one line on a pin, but to just try and be logical about it.  And in there own words, "It was a judgement call by the Captain, and you're the Captain". 

As far as the line goes, kit-supplied line isn't very good anyway, and with all of the great work you've already put into this beautiful ship, I'd get better rope, and keep a record of the changes. 

Cheers

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks George, I was thinking of doing a little extrapolating when it comes to the belaying locations. I was thinking of adding a belaying pin rack to each side of the stern. But upon checking the Anatomy of the Ship HMS Victory, it only shows the one belaying rack near the Mizzen mast. I'm not apposed to tying off two lines to one pin if it looks good and makes sense, but more than two is where I draw the line per say hahahahaha.

mike    

Mike,

I hear you on the AL rigging thread, I'm trying to use all the materials supplied in my kit as well.  But I'm definitely going to replace most of the thread as it's such a key aspect of the build....right in your face so to speak  :)  

FYI - I ordered some samples from Syren and I really like the quality. 

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Thanks Thomas, I'll have to check out their line of thread and see what they can come close to. I even checked Hobby Lobby, Walmart sewing section in my area and they have nothing that comes close to the sizes that I need in a cotton blend. I have used Constructo and Mamoli rigging thread as well as Model Shipways and like most of their's.

mike

Edited by mtdoramike

Thanks for the encouragement George, I needed that because I'm starting to flounder a bit. It usually happens to me when I get to this stage of the build and I wind up needed a little kick in the seat of the pants to continue on. The Library is really anxious to get the model and would really like to get it before the end of the year and would like to plan a big doings before the Christmas Holidays. I will be gone around the middle of Sept to October when we will take a trip to the USVI to visit family there. So the time restraints are closing in hahahahaha. 

I spent a few more hours on the Vic today. As you can see all the strings hanging from the stay sails, which the rear ones still ned to be ran to their belaying points. It can get a bit confusing with all those lines laying around, but I found it easier to attach all the lines first then start belaying them off one at a time.

mike 

post-13395-0-38831900-1439251724_thumb.jpg

OK, I had to do a slight modification to the display case. I found that while placing the top plexiglass panel in, it twisted slightly enough that it fell into the display case. Fortunately, it was a dry run and no model was inside the display case at the time. I decided to drill a few holes just below the rabbit that was routed by the factory for the glass panel and then I glued in a few dowels which will act to catch the glass panel if it happens again and keep it from falling on top of the model, which would be devastating and would require a good cry and a slew of expletives. I believe in an ounce of prevention versus a pound of cure.

mike    

post-13395-0-00087800-1439337381_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-51908600-1439337385_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-53094600-1439337389_thumb.jpg

I like your method of doing all the stays, jibs, and sprits first before hanging the yards, that would undoubtedly get in the way.  :dancetl6:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Thanks George, I usually hang all the sails in one section like on the Foremast, I will hang all three sails and run the rigging, before tying anything off. It can get a bit confusing, but it seems to keep me from belaying lines, only to have to go back and rebelay them because they are criscrossed or binding on another line. I hate the looks of binded lines.

Mate she looks beautiful, I want super close ups of all the mast junctions to save me some serious research. Lazy I know but hey what can I say. So so glad you did a dry run on that display cabinet, I just could not imagine what could have been. That said it shouldn't happen really, it's not like the case was a budget one.

Edited by Paul0367

Hey Paul, your right, but that is one BIG piece of plexi to try and manuver into place. The way to probably avoid it would have been to place the plexi into the grooves of the top and then place the wood framed top onto the cabinet and then screw it down. But, the only way that will work, is you would have to use some type of strap and wrap it completely around the entire cabinet length ways in order to keep the corners from spreading out towards the top of the cabinet and the side plexi from coming out of the grooves. It's one of those where the more hands the better when assembling it.

mike 

Sounds like having a set of "cabinet straps" would be a handy thing to have for that case during assembly. They're designed to hold the sides of a cabinet together during glue-up. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Those are some nicely sewn sails and the look great hanging on the yards. Do you plan to billow them at all Mike?

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

No, no billows to speak of. I have tried in the past to billow sails from using molds to placing in front of large fans and spraying them with hair spray, which gave a hint of a billow, but also turned the sails a brown tinge after a year. I have in the past sewn into the sails a thin wire, which helped to hold the billow once the sail was molded, but that was during the sail making process. These sails came pre-made and a sight better than I could have done with a needle and thread.

mike 

• 2 weeks later...