Hello,

I am interested in purchasing some wood to do some scroll saw work with but I figured I might as well get wood in useful dimensions for this hobby as well.  What are useful dimensions for extra wood in this hobby?  thickness 1/8", 1/4", 1/2" etc and as for width is the wider the better so if I can get like 7"+ wide sheets then that would the way to go?  I intend on getting a Byrnes saw before too long and possibly a thickness sander if that helps with this question.

Next question: what species of wood would you guys recommend, I know there are a ton of different woods that are useful in this hobby but if you were just going to buy a few, which would you go with?  maple, basswood, cherry, mahogany, poplar, walnut and various others are commonly available in my area and where I am looking to purchase online.

Thanks for your responses to these very broad questions. 

-Max

"We should not moor a ship with one anchor, nor our life with one hope."

Current Build: Benjamin Latham, Model Shipways

On Hold:  Pilot Boat Phantom, Model Shipways

Completed Builds:  Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff, Midwest;  The Dinghy, Midwest;  Sharpie Schooner, Midwest

I try to get wood in 1 to 2 inch thickness and 3 or 4 inch widths because most of the time you end up re-sizing it anyway and these sizes are easy to work with.  As for species I try to keep poplar, maple, black walnut and basswood in stock.  I also keep a lookout for any local woods that I can get and re-saw on my band or table saw.  Not sure what you would find in Colorado but I would think apple, pear, cherry and plum might be some you could lay your hands on.  If you know anyone with these trees in their yards you could offer to help prune them in exchange for the offcuts.  Another possible source is orchard operators.  See if you can get pieces they trim off during pruning operations.

Edited by grsjax

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Grsjax, 

Thanks for the reply, that is just what I was looking for.  I just found a guy on craigslist that has a huge storage unit FULL of exotics at reasonable prices.  He is milling some of the wood for me which is costing extra but hopefully soon I will be able to pick up the tools needed to do it myself.

-Max

"We should not moor a ship with one anchor, nor our life with one hope."

Current Build: Benjamin Latham, Model Shipways

On Hold:  Pilot Boat Phantom, Model Shipways

Completed Builds:  Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff, Midwest;  The Dinghy, Midwest;  Sharpie Schooner, Midwest