Sandbagger Sloop Annie by altalena18 - FINISHED

I have to agree with Patrick.  The topsides are beautiful.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks! it was a little difficult- I laid the boat on a sheet of paper and traced out the shape of the cockpit. I had some really pretty plywood left over from a kit I never built, and I used that for the coaming, Once I got all the pieces glued I ground and sanded them to shape. The herringbone pattern of the decking was inspired by some photos of models I found, it does look really cool! Now I have to put up photos of the painted and coppered hull...

• 4 months later...

Well, I finished this build of Annie. I haven't really consistently updated with photos of progress, but I did take some! There are definitely a few gaps in the timeline, but here they are. This is the first build where i don't feel particularly unhappy with how it came out. My craftsmanship will always improve, but everything came out pretty decently and evenly. On, as always, to the next ship!

post-970-0-64836400-1446471283_thumb.jpg

post-970-0-85224400-1446471286_thumb.jpg

post-970-0-04656500-1446471291_thumb.jpg

post-970-0-17614700-1446471297_thumb.jpg

post-970-0-62534000-1446471305_thumb.jpg

Hi Altalena

I was wondering what had happened to you because I've missed your posts. However, updates or no updates, there's no doubting what a brilliant job you've done. Lots of character and atmosphere, coupled with beautiful sails. Really nice.

Would you be putting her in a case in order to keep the dust away?

Cheers

Patrick

And a beautiful little boat she is.   Well done

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Altalena

The final results of your hard work are evident in that last picture. A sleek looking sailboat indeed she looks fast and graceful, a credit to the builder. I agree that a case would help to keep those dust devils at bay.

Congratulations on finishing the model.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks everyone for all the kind words, and my apologies for not being the most consistent of updaters. Hopefully soon I'll be taking some pictures of the finished model and putting up a post in the finished models section. We actually had a big dust storm and I had a lot of dusting of both the sandbagger and my Fair American, so cases are probably a good idea! And luckily I don't own a cat, and I built a nice solid base so hopefully we won't have any accidents. I think I have ideas for my next build, but all in good time.