Dremal Power Tool

I am considering purchasing a Dremal, but wanted to get some thoughts before I do. I have never bought power tools for the ship modelling before, so this will be a whole new game for me.

My latest build has quite a lot of sanding intricate areas, so a Dremal might make it easier to produce the results I desire.

Any thoughts on Dremal, or other mini rotary tools would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Adam

Current build : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/6891-us-brig-syren-by-spiderpig-model-shipways-scale-164-1803/#entry202979

Mare Nostrum

Past builds : Artesania Latina Virginia 1819, Occre Corsair Bridgantine, Constructo HMS Prince

You can buy a Dremel, but others on MSW also use Proxxon and Foredom. When purchasing a rotary tool, these are (IMHO) the most important considerations:

- Price. Dremel is the cheapest and most available, Foredom costs the most.

- Chuck diameter. Dremel has the smallest chuck (which limits the size of the tool you can hold). Foredom has the largest.

- Flexible shaft. AN ABSOLUTE NECESSITY IMO. This allows you to hold the tool with a pencil grip and saves you from having to wrestle a large tool when performing delicate work. All three systems have flexible shafts as an accessory. With Foredom, you have a choice of many different shafts and heads.

- Tool bits. All accessories are interchangeable between Dremel, Proxxon, and Foredom - with the notable exception that larger diameter shank tools will not fit if your chuck diameter is too small (see point #2). Just because Dremel has the largest and most available selection of tool bits should NOT influence your decision. You can easily use a Dremel tool bit on a Foredom if you so choose.

- Smoothness. Proxxon and Foredom are said to be noticably smoother than Dremel with less rotational eccentricity. Important if you are carving very fine work but not so much if you are using your Dremel as a Drum sander or to cut bits of wood off.

- Foot pedal. Only Foredom has a variable speed foot pedal. This is important because your tool is not rotating when you apply it to the workpiece - increasing your precision. Both Dremel and Proxxon can be adapted with an "on-off" pedal, but this does not give you the ability to adjust speed using foot pressure.

I have a Dremel and I am happy with it. Good luck with your choice.

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Whichever tool you select, I suggest you get one that is NOT battery operated.

The re-chargeable Dremel I was given for Christmas was just about useless.  It lacked torque and the charge went away very quickly.  Although it was given to me to replace my 20 year old Dremel that finally bit the dust, I got so frustrated using it I bought a new plug-in model. I got the cheapest model and use my soldering iron rheostat to control the speed.

Any of these tools will become invaluable for your modeling as well as for use around the house.

Edited by bogeygolpher

PROWE

If someone says something can't be done, it only means they can't do it.

Building:Shipyard - HMS Mercury card madel

Completed Builds:

Wood Models; AL Bluenose II 1989, Corel Toulonnaise 1995, Corel Flying Fish 2000, AL Scottish Maid 2005,

Sergal President 2010, Mamoli Beagle 2011, Corel Eagle 2013, Mamoli Constitution Cross-section 2014, Victory Cross-section 1/98 by Corel 2015, Occre San Francisco Cable Car 2018, Model Shipways Armed Long Boat 2021

Card Models

Christmas Train by PaperReplika 2012, Yamaha DSC11 Motorcycle 2013, Canon EOS 5D Mark II 2014, WWII Tiger I Tank by Paper-Replika 2014, Wrebbit Mercedes-Benz 500K Roadster 2014, Central Pacific no. 60 Jupiter card model 2015, Mirage III 1/30 converted to 1/33 card model 2017, TKpapercraft 1912 Mercer 2021

A Dremel is great and has many uses, BUT, use it carefully! It can take off a tremendous amount of material very quickly and you can't put it back once it's gone.

Ahoy Spiderpig :D 

The Rotary power tool opens a whole new world for the model shipbuilder 

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/1643-x-y-attachment-for-dremel/?p=54766

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Have had Dremel  for years. Somewhere I obtained a larger chuck, so have the one that came with it and a larger one. I rarely use the burs, when I do I use the flexible shaft. As was mentioned, if I need anything other than free hand precision a stand and some sort of 3 axis moving table to hold the work would be needed, I don't have a setup like that but do have a mill. Have used the cut off tool the most for rivets and small bolts. Have also used it with small drill bits for making hidden stitching holes for Cheyenne Rolls on saddles, it worked but tended to burn the bits, I went back to using awls. Was told to buy the more expensive dremel that used roller bearings in the motor, bought the 395 type 4 with bearings and it is still running fine, should last me as long as I will be wanting it.

jud

Edited by jud

While a Dremel has a lot of uses, here's what I've been using for most of my sanding... they don't take as much off as fast as with Dremal. http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/341-micro-power-sanders/

Having said that, what the others have said about speed, power vs. battery, and the flexshaft are very true.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for all the advice. Mtaylor, I had a look at that sander by Micromark. It looks great, however because its designed for America, it probably wouldn't be the correct AC rating for us in AU. The thing that worries me about the Dremal, is being overly powerful and taking too much wood of in seconds. I guess it comes down to practice with the tool.

Thanks

Adam

Current build : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/6891-us-brig-syren-by-spiderpig-model-shipways-scale-164-1803/#entry202979

Mare Nostrum

Past builds : Artesania Latina Virginia 1819, Occre Corsair Bridgantine, Constructo HMS Prince

Whichever tool you select, I suggest you get one that is NOT battery operated.

The re-chargeable Dremel I was given for Christmas was just about useless.  It lacked torque and the charge went away very quickly.  Although it was given to me to replace my 20 year old Dremel that finally bit the dust, I got so frustrated using it I bought a new plug-in model. I got the cheapest model and use my soldering iron rheostat to control the speed.

Any of these tools will become invaluable for your modeling as well as for use around the house.

For what it's worth, I have several Dremels; both corded and battery, big Lithium and old fashioned small-guy.  Each has its place.  However, I put the most mileage on the small battery Dremel.  I had (have) a 770 with a extra battery.  Agreed, the charge does not last as long as I would like, but it is not a show stopper.  The oldest battery is about to give up the ghost after many years of use.  Instead of getting another battery, I decided to get another Dremel...this time the 7700.  It seems quieter (although that may because I drove the bearings into the ground on my old one), it is quite light and has enough power for what I need most of the time. 

I found that the amount of material removed has alot to do with the attachment used and the 'touch' you apply.  Whatever brand or model you choose, I think you will find it is a handy tool to have.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Try the micro chuck.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I was probably going to go for the 3000. Its the best in regards to pricing, and offers what I need in a rotary tool.

Adam

Mare Nostrum

Yeah, Chuck, I bought one of those microchucks (for those small #'d drill bits) and contrary to the comments about it on AMAZON, mine runs straight and true

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

Gidday Spiderpig,

My son bought me a rotary tool complete with 130 something accessories and a flexible shaft for around $50 AU. it came from Autobarn of all places. Admittedly I have not had much experience with it but it seems to perform OK.

As others have said be careful not to remove too much material.

Regards,

Mark.

Ahoy Mates :D 

Just a little reminder regarding the rotary "power" tools. Don't forget to include a good pair of safety glasses. I would rate these puppies as one of the most dangerous when it comes to your eyes. 

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Bart,

The chuck I am thinking of inserts into the dremel like a collet rather than screws into the head.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

That's the one.

I have the next size up for my 770, but it screws into the head. It takes from #80 drill to 1/8" shank.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

I had one years ago. It finally bit the dust. Dremel is not a precision tool. But for what we do perfect. When used correctly you would be

Surprised at what it can do. Just remember that it is not a toy and where protection when you use one. Years ago I was shaping some brass and the part I was working on shattered. All I lost was a pair of glasses.

David B