no standing rigging?

ronv

I asked this question in my build log yesterday, with no luck. That post is already buried on page three. It is amazing how many posts on this forum daily. It is great.  So... maybe it will get more attention here. I am rebuilding the AL swift which I originally built many, many years ago and this time I want to add a little more detail. I can't seem to find much information and my plans (probably not very accurate) were tossed years ago. I think I have discovered that these pilot boats had no stays or shrouds, so no standing rigging. Is this correct? That seems a little strange to me. But if so all the rigging would be the same, lighter color. Is that correct?

Ron,

If it had/has masts it almost certainly has to have standing rigging.  Looking at some pictures of it online shows me that it has set of shrouds for each mast and a fore stay.  Probably more.  Its a pretty simple rig, so there is not much there.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Hi Chuck. Thanks for your reply. My assumption that no standing rigging is present is based on an old-old single sheet plan of "Katy of Norfolk" Virginia Pilot Boat from a Model Shipways kit. It appears that Katy is very similar to Swift. A note on the plan says "references- Chapelle. "The Baltimore Clipper. Salem 1930"... Chapelle "American Sailing Craft. New York 1936" and Steel "Naval Architecture. 1804".

A note on the top of the page while discussing how to rig the stay sail says" There were no stays on these vessels. Both jib and topmast stay sails were set flying as shown." (which I also don't understand, but that is another topic LOL.). In another place under rigging notes it says "Though two shrouds a side are shown for each mast, these vessels normally had none. Your model is correct if they are not rigged"... So, confusion abounds at least for me. But it is fun. I am learning something new. At my age, they say keeping your mind active is important. This is definitely doing that. Today I learned what a stay sail is... sort of. LOL.

The Virginia pilot boats did not have any standing rigging. Later, when fitted for other services, particularly naval service or in case of an ocean voyage, they set up stays and shrouds. But for pilot service, no standing rigging.

Russ

Hey Ron -

I have the plans for the Artesania Latina "Swift" Virginia Pilot boat 1805 in front of me as I am writing this.  The plans are from around 1985, and they show two shrouds on each mast, and a stay running from the tip of the bowsprit to the top of the foremast, and then to the main mast.  Might not be historically accurate, but that's what they show.  Its your ship.  I would be happy to take a photo of the plan if you would like, but won't be able to do it until tomorrow.

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana