This is the 4th wood ship model I am building.  First was the Model Shipways Essex, then scratch built Syren, and Model Shipways Flying Fish which is 3/4 done.  I also built the RMS Titanic 1/400 scale, Academy Anniversary Edition, complete with LED and fiber optic lighting. (looks COOL!)

post-3587-0-13457500-1410383727_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This link from the Navy states there is 120 - 150 nails per sheet.

http://www.history.navy.mil/USSCTour/manuals/ConstitutionCopperSheathing.pdf

The photo below, taken from the 92-96 restoration, shows a single plate in the lower right, still attached and you can se the nail patterns on it.

The link to the site is: http://www.hazegray.org/features/constitution/

post-10450-0-91632900-1414852558.jpg

Edited by robnbill

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Looking at the photo of the Connie, it appears the nail heads are less than an inch. Probably ¾" to ½" if the boots are as close to them as it appears. If that is the case, ¾" would equate to about .25mm, assuming you are working on the MS version of the Connie at 1:76. So it would be difficult to scale realistically, however, there are many modelers out who have added the nails, they are just not in scale. It is a look and provides the appearance of having the nailed plates to the bottom. So this really is up to you. Add nails knowing they will not be in scale, or no nails. Look over the logs to see how others have accomplished it.

My Connie is 1:93, so she would have been too small. Also Mamoli used a completely different technique using wood to copper the bottom. So I can't be of much help there. There are many ships built here that have copper plating. 

Edited by robnbill

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Galf, this is one of the many questions which I will be facing some day. For this reason, I am eternally grateful for those such as ye'self who go before, and MSW !!!

Can I suggest that you might try making up some kind of jig to use as a type of stamp to simulate your rivet heads. I'm thinking of a small, rectangular piece of wood with (perhaps) the tips of pins or nails coming thru.

Sorry that I have no pics ... coz it's just an idea !!! 

(Imagine a baseball bat with nails in one end ... but waaaaay more subtle)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Using my diamond burr set to drill holes for Berth Deck Portlights. They make a nice clean hole instead of using regular drill bits which may splinter wood.  Also went crazy at Office Max/Depot they had paint markers and pens on sale 50 cents each, great for doing fine details instead of painting with a brush!

post-3587-0-11706700-1418251400_thumb.jpg

post-3587-0-63101800-1418251459_thumb.jpg

Galf, 

You are looking great. One note of caution with the sharpies. Another experienced builder on the MSB forum found that the sharpie colors both faded and bled. He had used some in his rigging and the black really faded badly. It also bled into the spars. So the colors of the sharpies are not always stable.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Galf, 

You are looking great. One note of caution with the sharpies. Another experienced builder on the MSB forum found that the sharpie colors both faded and bled. He had used some in his rigging and the black really faded badly. It also bled into the spars. So the colors of the sharpies are not always stable.

I used Sharpie on my wale on a boxwood strip.  Even after weeks it would smear off when I wiped it, and wipe on poly wouldn't seem to seal it.  I ended up sanding it off a fair amount and then priming and painting over it with acrylic paint and then wipe on poly before it would actually be 'dry' to the touch and not come off on anything that rubbed against it.  Lesson learned.

Galf, just found your build log. Your Connie looks great. I tried CA glue for the rivets but not wood glue. I ended up using copper wire, but I really like the look of yours. Your copper job looks great too. I am getting close to that task.

Edited by usedtosail

Thanks for the tip. I was using the red and blue ultra fine point MARKERS just for stars and stripes on the eagle.  I am using the Sharpie PAINT Pens (which is oil base paint) on any of the wood that needs a fine touch like the white letters of the constitution name plate on the stern. Otherwise I am using all Acrylic paints.  I was able to get black, white, red, silver and gold in extra fine point and medium point. I don't know if you have ever seen them they work really well, I was surprised to get them so cheap because they normally $4 each.

post-3587-0-45946500-1418335065_thumb.jpg

post-3587-0-79868000-1418335089_thumb.jpg

post-3587-0-10638500-1418335101_thumb.jpg

post-3587-0-40045500-1418335120_thumb.jpg