112 ft Ketch 'Symphony' by Omega1234 - SMALL 1/200 scale (17cms or 7 inches long) Finished

Hi everyone

Many thanks for all your comments and support!

Well, my initial intention of using Ticonderoga's hull and adapting it to 'fit' the original boat just didn't work. So, instead, I decided to bite the bullet and carve a half model of the proper hull. The reason why I did this was so that I can get proper frame templates. The half hull consists of slices of wood, lightly glued together and then sanded to shape. Once I'm happy that I've got a nice and shapely hull, I'll then separate the slices to get the exact frame shapes.

After that, I'll use those half frames to make full frames for a plank on frame hull. The photos below show the progress so far.

I hope this makes sense!

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-43579400-1430485764_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-88645500-1430485793_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-04148000-1430485809_thumb.jpg

off to a good start Patrick!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Patrick,

You're following in the footsteps of old school naval architects and shipwrights. Your method not only makes sense, its a tried and true method for doing exactly what you want to accomplish! The main entry hall of the college I attended was lined with half hulls of all different ships, designed by the founder of the school and used for the purpose of lofting fair lines for making frames.

And, you look off to an excellent start. Keep on keepin' on!

Edited by BenF89

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Patrick, just to reiterate what others have said, you're making an excellent start!

Looking at you second photo, that's an incredible amount of detail you're planning to shoe-horn in and I'm convinced you'll create a fabulous model yet again!!

Best of luck,

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

Hi Patrick, look like She's starting to take shape , Nice work 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

I see what you are doing, I understand what you are doing and all I can say is "WOW". 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I just registered what the second picture shows following Row's comment and I caught my self smiling, this is style in modelling!

No pressure here at MSW, Patrick... ;)   even though we know whatever you turn out will be great!!!!!    I got my chair and post-76-0-55157600-1430522184.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

whoaaaaa.....wait!  Mark........where did you get the popcorn?

SJORS!!!!!!!!  we need you over here!  ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

From a pure engineering point of view your method makes all the sense in the world!  Shape is looking very nice Patrick.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hello Patrick, I echo the above comments and looking forward to your progress!! :) :)

All the best

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

The easiest way to do the frames.  The only drawback is going to the trouble of making a half hull then the pain of slicing it up.  I have always liked the look of a half hull.  You are doing it the traditional way.   This should prove to be an interesting build log.

David B

Hi everyone

Many thanks for all your comments and likes!

I've made some progress over the weekend. This includes cutting the half hull into sections so that I can get the frame templates. I've also cut the keel as well as a template of the side profile of the whole hull. This week I'll cut out the frames and glue them to the building board.

Slow work, but fun!

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-32686500-1430665233_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-13044300-1430665261_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-05883500-1430665398_thumb.jpg

Hi Patrick,

you`ve realy been busy These days, good looking results so far

Interesting technique with those semi-hull sections

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Nils

Thanks. Interesting method is true because this is the first time I've tried it. Hopefully it'll work. If it doesn't ...oh well...it'll be a case of going back to the drawing board.

I'm pretty confident, it'll be ok, though. Finger's crossed.

Cheers

Patrick

New methods is how we learn, and if it is better then the last, that's when others pick it up and say, "Isn't this great?" 

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

are you making a separate template for the port side,  or make up both sides on it  {reverse procedure, of course}?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Dennis

Good question! I was going to do a port side, but the risk of getting variations between the exact shapes was too high. So, I'Ve decided to do the reverse technique; which should guarantee that the left and right sides match.

Thanks and all the best

Patrick

Hi everyone

Thanks for all your Likes and comments!! Greatly appreciated.

Well, Symphony's progress has been slow, but I have managed to cut the frames out of cardboard and glue them to the baseboard. I then cut the keel and dry-fitted it to the frames just to see how it all went together. Luckily, it all went pretty smoothly and minimal adjustments were required.

There's still heaps of work to go, but, hey, that's part of the fun of it, isn't it?

Here are the photos so far.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-62773300-1430921285_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-51234600-1430921309_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-93813700-1430921332_thumb.jpg

Good start, you can already see she'll be lovely.

Bob

Concur! I like how your keel/stem looks. Can't wait to see the whole structure.

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

nice progress Patrick!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You know it Patrick, it is all about having fun , the frames are looking good Nice work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hi everyone

Many, many thanks for all of your comments and Likes! Greatly and warmly appreciated.

Well, one of the hardest things I've found is how to ensure that the sheer line of the hull is exactly the same on both sides of the hull. It's always bugged me. So, this is what I did. I glued a template of the hull on each side of the building board and then glued horizontal pieces across the templates. Once the horizontal pieces had been glued, I then removed the side templates, leaving the horizontal pieces standing ready to have the sheer strake glued on later. The idea being that these will exactly mark the sheer line and therby ensuring each side is equal.

I hope this makes sense! If not, hopefully the photos will explain things better!

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-86253300-1431002994_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-18393600-1431003031_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-21214200-1431003064_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-03592100-1431003088_thumb.jpg

Patrick,

Makes perfect sense, and it's very clever!

~ Ben

Current Builds:

Interesting method for setting the sheer plank.  I'll have to try it.

Bob