112 ft Ketch 'Symphony' by Omega1234 - SMALL 1/200 scale (17cms or 7 inches long) Finished

getting closer to plank time...........looking really neat!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I like that template.   Great idea, Patrick.   What Popeye said... planking time is near!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi everyone

Many thanks for your comments and Likes!

Tonight, I managed to plank one side of the hull. At this early stage, the planks are rough and require filling and sanding, but it's a start.

The hull's really starting to take shape now.

Please see the photos below.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-99472700-1431100249_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-99912600-1431100279_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-80319600-1431100302_thumb.jpg

Woohoo! The planking does bring the shape of the hull out - looks awesome!

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Very nice work Patrick, Planking is my favorite part of the build, She is taking shape and looking good

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

......and here I was,  thinking it was near.......it's NOW!!!   :)  looks very good Patrick  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Dennis, David, Marty, Pete, Ben, Igor and everyone else for your Likes!

Well, Symphony's hull planking has been completed and sanded. I then put a coat of putty on the hull, which will be sanded once again.

I also took the hull off the jig, which is sort of a milestone.

Here are the photos.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-67744100-1431179875_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-80255900-1431179909_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-58688400-1431179938_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-23828600-1431179967_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-03048800-1431180031_thumb.jpg

Wow, that really brings out how nice this boat will look. Great work!

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

I always thought the profile drawing of the keel looked bad, but in the round it looks fine.  Or maybe it's just your great skill.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Nicely done Patrick, She is taking shape , Looking good

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hello and thanks Ben, Bob, Pete, Cog and IMack and everyone else for your Likes and comments.

Yep, Symphony's coming along nicely.

IMack -the putty I'm using is Tamiya putty, which is a really nice product because it dries quickly and sands to a nice smooth finish.

Bob-good comment about the keel. When you say that you thought the profile looked 'bad', is that because the hull is basically a large canoe shaped hull with a shallow draft? It did actually look odd to me as well, but it's growing on me. Perhaps it'll look better when I put the large centreboard keel on?

Cheers and all the best, everyone!

Patrick

all I can say is Wow Patrick....seriously nice looking hull!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

All I can do is echo the rest of them WOW.  One of these days I hope to do something like what you are doing now.

David B

Hi everyone

After a few rounds of puttying, then sanding, puttying, then sanding, etc, I decided I needed to get some paint on Symphony's hull. So, look what happened! I decided to paint the hull black. At least that way, if there were any imperfections in the hull's surface, what better way to show them up than by gloss paint?

Anyhow, I'm not sure if I will stick with the black hull, but that can be decided later on. In the meantime, pls enjoy the photos below.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-08057200-1431351485_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-00496300-1431351509_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-62998000-1431351535_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-33834800-1431351557_thumb.jpg

Bravo, Patrick!

You took so much speed that I believe to see the finished model in a couple of weekends!

Best Regards!

Igor.

Hi Igor

I know, it's frightening! But don't worry, in my normal typical fashion, things will slow down as soon as I realise that I've stuffed something up big time! Then, there's the usual delays in trying to figure out how to fix things...pretty normal for me.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hi Patrick

... Aha! "Symphony" ran into the bathroom - are you doing the swimming test?  ;) 

Looks super great!

Best regards.

Mike

Thanks Mike!

How embarrassing! Is it that obvious that I took the photo in the bathroom? Oh well, I thought no one would notice....

Honestly though, it was the only room with a really bright light; which made photographing the black hull easier.

All the best!

Patrick

Hi Patrick

All you need are 4 wheels and you've got yourself a great looking batmobile! :)

Just kidding. Looks great. Very sleek hull. Expect nothing less from you.

Nick

Hi Nick

Hah! Bat Mobile, indeed! I wish. Nice analogy though, because I gotta admit, that I'm also really surprised at just how sleek and powerful the hull is.

Thanks for stopping by and please visit often.

All the best.

Patrick

WOW Patrick, that was quick!  She's looking very nice indeed, great work.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Very nice looking Hull Patrick, you are moving right along on this build 

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

you know Patrick........the idea of the Bat Boat has been one of my thoughts for quite a while now.  yea........I know........leave it up to me  :D  :D

it's not the type of hull to do it to........so your safe ;)   actually,  it's not a bad idea to give it a shot of paint.   it will help in filling in the tiny pits and minute lines......so when you give it the color coat,  you'll get a smoother finish.   I like to use primer.  she looking very sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: