Wasa by marktiedens - FINISHED - Corel - scale 1:75 (Vasa)

A little more progress - got the lower gallery roofs planked. The tricky part was the angled planks between the lower tower & the side of the ship. The area is the circled area on the picture of the real ship.

post-4600-0-08509300-1421876770_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-93179100-1421876803_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-97736300-1421876825_thumb.jpg

/Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

• 4 weeks later...

A small update - been painting figures. Most of them don`t match what`s on the real ship but they look ok from a distance. The kit did not provide for the 4 port holes in the upper gallery so I made some from some brass eyelets from the fabric store. I also didn`t like the oversize plastic windows so I searched through my spare parts boxes & found a couple of etched brass windows which were just the right size,so I used them.

post-4600-0-25576800-1424303343_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-88887000-1424303361_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-58538700-1424303380_thumb.jpg

Now back to more painting :(

/Mark

oops - I meant the lower gallery :huh:

Edited by marktiedens

Mark,

Number two is coming along nicely. I also had to think through those two small corner details next to the upper towers.

Yes the Corel needs lots of attention and changes Hmmmm

Interesting that you found positive energy to go right back to the same ship a second time. Though the Corel has its good points as well.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks Michael.The only reason I am building two of them is because I originally bought the Corel kit & later got the Sergal kit at a really good price,although I may end up in the looney bin before I`m finished :P . Maybe I should get the Billings kit then I would have a set of three :o . On second thought - don`t think so.  But then again....................

/Mark

Yes, I know you are watching my build. I see "likes" every now and then from you. A bit scary posting my work for all to see! 

Vasa is on my bucket list of things to build. I was wondering if you could comment on the Corel and the Panart, since you have built / are building both? If you could only buy one, which would it be? 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Thanks Michael.The only reason I am building two of them is because I originally bought the Corel kit & later got the Sergal kit at a really good price,although I may end up in the looney bin before I`m finished :P . Maybe I should get the Billings kit then I would have a set of three :o . On second thought - don`t think so.  But then again....................

/Mark

As many of us are, you may be on the verge of needing help and intervention, this post is indicative of that (:-)

CHEERS

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Keith - your RW looks very nice to me. I hope to do as good when I get around to starting mine. As far as the Vasa kits go the Sergal version is much larger than Corel`s - about the same size as the RW. Quality wise the Sergal kit is laser cut & the parts fit together nicely. My Corel kit is an old one so it is not laser cut. The stern area on the Sergal kit is nicely shaped but the Corel`s is way off - difficult to fix because of the way the castings are made. On the other hand the Corel bow is shaped much better than Sergal`s. As far as the castings go Sergal`s are decent - some are spot on while others are way off. The cannons are pretty good - they even have the little lions cast into them. Corel`s castings are awful at best - some look like just little blobs of metal. The wood in both is fair at best. Both kits were designed in the seventies so I can understand why some of the castings are incorrect.If I was to recommend one over the other it would probably be Sergal`s.Both need a lot of bashing to make them at least close to correct. Another choice would be the Billings kit - I don`t have first hand knowledge of it but from what I`ve seen it is the most accurate.Like any kit,they all have their problems.What fun would it be if we didn`t have to re-do anything :). Sorry about the long winded response - hope it helps.

Regards,Mark

Hi Frank -the paints I am using are a mixture of Testors model master,a few craft store paints,& some Vallejo paints. Specifically the red is a Vallejo game color called gory red - it`s about the same color as blood :o out of the bottle but dries to a deep darker red.My camera doesn`t really show the color that well - I may try and adjust the color to show it a little better. Another Vallejo paint that looks really nice is called polished gold - it really looks like gold when dry,not just metallic paint. The Vallejo paint has only recently became available at my local hobby store,so that`s why I used mostly Testors. Even at that they only carry the air brush ready line & the game colors. I don`t know why they aren`t carrying the Vallejo regular brush paints.

//Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Update - finally got the stern finished.Corel only gave 2 knights to stand guard by the windows in the stern & they were way too tall to fit in the space provided so I used some of the extra figures in the kit instead.They are just a little bit short but at least there are 6 instead of 4.Also built the front railing - I didn`t like the dolphins the kit provided so I used some nice columns I had in my spare parts box.Also built the knightheads while waiting for paint to dry.I don`t have a milling machine so I tried to make the sheaves by drilling & filing but that didn`t work too well so I made them by laminating a number of thin strips glued together to form the sheaves. Then I cut some thin pieces off a dowel to make the pulleys. Not perfect but they look good from a foot or two away.

post-4600-0-48539600-1425945487_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-26947100-1425945507_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-90793100-1425945531_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-20325900-1425945559_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-14638100-1425945580_thumb.jpg

/Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A small update - started rigging the guns.I am using Chuck`s nice little 2mm blocks. The blocks are really nice but also really small - I don`t know how he makes them so small and yet so nicely shaped. They are a bit difficult to handle but I am slowly getting them done.

post-4600-0-12448100-1427763275_thumb.jpg

/Mark

A little more progress - chainplates mounted. The kit deadeye strops were made from wire bot the strops on the real ship are flat bars so I modified them. I filled the gap with epoxy & then filed it smooth to look like a flat bar. I must thank Michael (md1400cs) for this idea. I think they came out pretty good.

post-4600-0-59959500-1428634137_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-35035800-1428634156_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-89402500-1428634183_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the looks & likes / Mark