Lennox by Omega1234 - FINISHED - 1/192 - 17th Century Warship

Hi Jan. The ratlines were glued on. To do this, I used the shroud jig below. I glued each ratline on using liquid superglue. Once dried, I cut the shrouds off the jig, and then fitted them onto the masts. It works, but takes lots of practice to do well.

I've also attached a photo of one of the bead threads that I used (of varying thicknesses) for the rigging.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

post-7645-0-76640200-1411198126_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-65984500-1411198244_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

Hi all. Final build log. This log features the final shots of Lennox on her display stand. Hope you enjoy the photos.

Thanks for all your Likes, questions and comments. They're all greatly appreciated.

All the best!

post-7645-0-67237800-1411219503_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-24180800-1411219559_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-79325300-1411219616_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-15787300-1411219673_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-37102300-1411219724_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-12561900-1411219791_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-32961700-1411219842_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-17184600-1411219904_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-85994500-1411220565_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-85886200-1411220627_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-70992400-1411220760_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

Hi Omega, this model reminds me of the one that McNarry did where he shows all the frames fretted out after he faired them to shape as a block first.(page 54 of his book "ship Models in Miniature").

What wood did you use for the frames? It really is a stunning piece of model work.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Michael

Many thanks! The choice of wood was the most difficult decision. I first tried to slice up a solid block of wood into blanks, from which I intended to cut each frame. However, at I mm thick, I found that the wood became so fragile, that each frame just split along the grain (hope this makes sense). I eventually gave up in frustration.

My only solution was to laminate two layers of veneer together, to form the blanks for each frame. Only then, did each blank have the strength to be cut to the thinness required to make a realistically hollow hull. The only problem with this method is that the close-up photos of the frames clearly show the laminations of each frame! So, instead of each frame being a solid piece, the keen eye will spot that each frame is actually two pieces (ie two-ply) of veneer stuck together. The glue line being a dead give away. Eeek!

I can't for the life of me understand how people like Donald McNarry and Phil Reed do it! Any ideas?

Cheers.

Edited by Omega1234

Hi Omega will see if there is any info about it in his book  later right now I'm off for a sail

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Good morning Omega, having re read McNarry's book once more I was unable to find any information about his method of construction. He di though rite a previous book that described the methods he uses. it is long out of print and is called "Shipbuilding in Miniature" published by Percival Marshall in 1955. There is most likely somebody on the forum who has that book.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

McNarry is stacking thin slices of boxwood to each other to a sloid hull.

Next he carves the hull from the block. Soon as the hull is 'perfect' the slices are taken apart, there inside is removed, and parts of it are removed in total, to get the timbers/futtocks-effect.

The same method (with a small twist) is used by Reed. He remarkes that it depends on the quality of your wood to get crisp results.

Boxwood is the way to go he writes.....

Jan

Hi Jan. Thanks. That's exactly the method that I used to build Lennox and the Victory. Except in my case, I used laminated squares. For Lennox, I stacked about 100 of my laminated squares to form a solid block and then sanded the hull to shape. I then separated the frames and then used a scroll saw to hollow out each frame. I found that this method worked because each frame was strong enough due to the fact that they were formed from the laminated veneers. The photos of the bare hull in the earlier photos show that it worked.

HOWEVER, what I don't understand is how Reed and McNarry are able to do this from a single, unlaminated piece of wood. Each time I've tried to hollow out an unlaminated frame to the width required, ie approximately 1.0 mm, the frame would simply break in half along the grain. I hope I'm making sense!

So, the question remains, even if boxwood is used, how do Reed and McNarry do it? I have Reed's book and I have pondered this question many times. Even if boxwood is used, how does it have the structural integrity???

A mystery to me!

Edited by Omega1234

• 3 months later...

Wow, really wonderful small Modell. It's unbelievable that's build of wood.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Excellent work!  Very nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Nice!

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

• The title was changed to Lennox by Omega1234 - FINISHED - 1/192 - 17th Century Warship