Mayflower by gluedandscrewed - FINISHED - from Model Shipways plans

in one of the forums guys were discussing simulating caulk lines, so here is a side by side comparison,,one is done by edge gluing paper to the planks the other my own development, putting a .020 mil spacer between the planks, filling the space and nails with auto gasket sealer and sanding off,, cant tell them apart

in one of the forums guys were discussing simulating caulk lines, so here is a side by side comparison,,one is done by edge gluing paper to the planks the other my own development, putting a .020 mil spacer between the planks, filling the space and nails with auto gasket sealer and sanding off,, cant tell them apart

post-15430-0-28314900-1412696426.jpg

post-15430-0-25478500-1412696436.jpg

With the hits your getting, there's a lot of us quiet types watching and learning.  :)

On the gunport vs. main channel, I can't quite make out what you're saying.  Are you saying the gunport is in the middle of the chains/deadeyes?   This isn't that uncommon. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

looks like youre the only one looking at my build lieutenant :D

Ahhh. I wouldn't be too concerned; as a lot of people would be dropping in to view your log, but just not commenting on it. Another possible reason is that there is at least one other Mayflower build going on concurrently as yours and people may be drawn to those logs first. But, hey, what the heck! I like what you've done and that's important!!!

Keep up the great work.

Happy modelling!

I'm here, just can't think what to say.  Good looking job so far.  Keep it up.

Walter Biles

Dude, STUNNING.  Looks like museum should be her final berth. I'm a newbie too, and because of you the Mayflower is definitely on my list! 

Following your posts with high interest.  Carry on.

Don't you worry about it.  I'm working on it.

thanks guys,,the channel should fall between the gun ports taylor, i dont know why but on mine it extends over one gun port and i was damn meticulous about measuring and positioning everything, the gun port is in the way of the deadeye retaing chain , instead of running the one chain downward i'll have to run it to the hull above the gunport,, only way out

I guess it's like Mark said, sometimes that may happen, so I wouldn't be too concerned.  You may want to check Sawdust Dave's MF (http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/6641-mayflower-by-sawdustdave/ ) to see what he's done.  You never know, but he may have encountered the same problem.

What do you think?

Edited by Omega1234

On most ships, there are gunports that get in the way of a fair run of the chains.  Moving the point where they clear the port seems to be normal even on the real thing.  The last one goes aft of the port, the next one goes foreward of the port.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the explanation. Very nice job you've done there. Incidentally, I went back to your first post where you had a photo of the unpainted version of the parking brake. It's always interesting to see the before and after shots because it makes one realise how much work it takes to build our models.

Well done.

my stupid 1234, the scroll work is a 16 gauge copper wire bent around two different dia. drill bits,,, hammered flat and soldered end to end........two days of work and it doesnt look like i'm getting out of this dark tunnel and into the airy realm of masting and rigging any time soon :( hung some chains just to see how much pleasure that is going to be,,,they are just hanging free till the stays go in

post-15430-0-84813300-1412878731.jpg

post-15430-0-21703800-1412878742.jpg

post-15430-0-61456000-1412878750.jpg

post-15430-0-99977800-1412878762.jpg

Edited by gluedandscrewed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

tried the rat line methods i saw in the forums and was not satisfied with them, too slow, too tedious, too uneven etc... so came up with my own technique, fast , about two minutes per line, even, doesnt pull the shrouds out of line and almost idiot proof,, i can even see a way to easily and consistantly allow for the proper sag in the lines

post-15430-0-58393800-1416421476.jpg

post-15430-0-40013600-1416421490.jpg

post-15430-0-76698900-1416421508.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Mayflower by gluedandscrewed - FINISHED - from Model Shipways plans