Skiff by rlindenbergsr - FINISHED – Midwest Products – SMALL - Scale 1:12 - first wooden ship build

I have my first kit, Midwest Products Skiff. 

post-15055-0-56940700-1410724168_thumb.jpg

I inventoried the parts, and all are present.

post-15055-0-45910800-1410724251_thumb.jpg

One of the first steps was to remove two pieces from the wood sheet and glue them together to create the skiff's knee. After sanding I discovered that I had removed too much material and my part was now too small. I decided to make a replacement.

I scanned the portion of the plans that showed the part and printed it. I cut out the relevant portion out of the printed copy as a template. I glued it to a piece scrap with rubber cement. I then cut out replacement parts and glued the halves together. I now have a proper knee.

Illustration shows (left to right) relevant part from plans, undersize part, scrap wood with template.

post-15055-0-33879500-1410724441_thumb.jpg

I am now wondering if the rubber cement I used to attach the paper template will leave a residue on the wood that will be a problem when I get to the finishing phase. Do you think it will keep paint from adhering?

Regards, 

Richard L

Completed build:

yacht skiff

Very first thing you do in your first build is scratch build a part.  Nice start!

I don't know the answer to your glue question, but I'm sure someone will chime in about that.  Welcome and I look forward to seeing your skiff take shape.

Use rubber gloves with Acetone as it goes straight through the skin and straight to the Kidneys long term use not good for man or beast 

A great little model I have had lots of fun building there steam boat 

There plans are very good and easy to follow and for a first build you could not have chosen better, lots of opportunity to add stuff as you feel  

Best 

Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

• 2 weeks later...

Well, thanks for your comments and encouragement! My progress has been slow, but enjoyable. Since I am using Elmer's wood glue, I have to clamp each part and wait for it to cure. This forces me to take time to think about how do what's next. I have also been improving the lighting in my work area, which is a must for me.

Here it is so far:

post-15055-0-93059400-1411501674_thumb.jpg

Regards, 

Richard

Regards, 

Richard L

Completed build:

yacht skiff

Good work so far. Is the bottom of the hull supposed to have any fore and aft curve in it? I think it should, but it is something to look at before you get too far.

Russ

You're quite right. It may not be apparent form the photo, but most of the frames are not perpendicular to the bottom. They have a tilt in anticipation of the curve yet to be applied to the bottom. After a bit of sanding the hull is mounted on a strongback. A shim is placed fore and aft which creates the curve. Thanks for the heads up!

Regards, 

Richard L

Completed build:

yacht skiff

Thanks Joe and Russ. Joe,  I have to say you saw it coming. As I was sanding, one of the frames popped off. In the photo below you can see the empty spot. The aim of the photo is to show that one of the frames is too far inboard, if that is the correct term. A gap is left where it should meet the side plank when it is attached. 

post-15055-0-24070400-1412094508_thumb.jpg

So it needs to be removed repositioned. I have read in build logs about using isopropyl alcohol to soften glue. (I am using Elmer's Carpenters Glue). I applied isopropyl to the joint with a q-tip. I let it sit for a while, but the joint is still firm. I tried cutting into it with and xacto but no dice.

So now I am thinking about building up the edge of the frame with a thin strip of wood.

What do you think is the best plan?

Regards, 

Richard

Regards, 

Richard L

Completed build:

yacht skiff

You should be able to soften wood glue with just water. It may require letting it soak through the wood, but with some patience water should do the trick. I've had to do this several times on my build already.

Thanks for the water suggestion Joe and Brian. I'll try it and post results. 

I understand your comment about the transom, Joe. The bottom of the transom is sanded in a bevel where it meets the bottom. I think I didn't sand it quite enough, although the joint seems strong. I am working on keeping my sanded surfaces true. Even though I use a sanding block, I tend to end up with a slight curve.

Regards, 

Richard

Regards, 

Richard L

Completed build:

yacht skiff

• 4 weeks later...

So, after a pause I'm back to my skiff. I have removed and repositioned a couple of frames. I also cracked a couple While I was sanding and had to repair them.  Things are now mounted on a strong back with some temporary braces.

post-15055-0-14795900-1414339083_thumb.jpg

I have attached the plank on one side.

post-15055-0-03469200-1414339314_thumb.jpg

Note that the fore end of the plank is intentionally not attached to the stem at this stage. After the other plank is attached, the temporary bracing is removed. Then the fore ends of both planks are glued to the stem.

Regards, 

Richard L

Completed build:

yacht skiff

It looks like you have got things moving in the right direction. Looks good so far.

Russ

• 1 month later...

Since my last post, I’ve spent most of my time breaking things and repairing them. I snapped a couple of the frames and split the side planks. I finally attached the side planks to the stem.  Then the stem was pulled off-center. I undid the planks and reattached them to the stem with more rigorous clamping.

post-15055-0-25945500-1418752592_thumb.jpg

So now I have done some sanding.  Although it still has plenty of warts, it feels like I am making some progress.

post-15055-0-96337800-1418752667_thumb.jpg

post-15055-0-87602800-1418752757_thumb.jpg

post-15055-0-84827600-1418752776_thumb.jpg

My next task is to try and clean up the result of some over-enthusiastic glue application.

Regards, 

Richard

Regards, 

Richard L

Completed build:

yacht skiff

Richard:

The hull looks good. If you had not mentioned the problems, I doubt anyone would know. Good work.

Russ

• 3 months later...

Here are a couple of shots of my completed build. I know it’s pretty rough by the standards of work one sees on this site. However, I learned a LOT! and had fun (mostly) too. I’ll soon be starting my second kit. Thanks to all who stopped by and especially those who provided helpful comments.

Just before last element were added:

post-15055-0-24082900-1428178088_thumb.jpg

Done:

post-15055-0-81291600-1428178127_thumb.jpg

Regards, 

Richard L

Completed build:

yacht skiff

No signs of splits or warts anywhere. It came out quite nice.

Bob

"Even while the storm raged at it's worst, my ship was wholesome and noble." - Captain Joshua Slocum

Current Builds:

L'Hermione 1780 - 1:89 - Artesania Latina   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10261-hermione-la-fayette-1780-by-bobstrake-artesania-latina-scale-189/#entry305929<p>

Louise - 1:26 - Constructo  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11855-louise-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-126/?p=360370

Completed Builds:

Carmen 1850 - 1:80 - Constructo - First Build   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10398-carmen-1850-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-180/#entry31137

• The title was changed to Skiff by rlindenbergsr - FINISHED – Midwest Products – SMALL - Scale 1:12 - first wooden ship build