GuntherMT

Armed Virginia Sloop by GuntherMT - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale 1:48

Thanks all, and welcome aboard Sawdust Dave.  Just in time for the home stretch, although I think that home stretch is a good month or more still with all the rigging yet to do, rope coils, anchors, etc.

Beautiful rigging Brian

Just popped around the corner (into my dining room that is) to look at my own and realise how the serving of the ropes on yours makes it look so much more real and properly scaled. That'll be a new learning curve for me next time.

Good to see you around Alistair, and yea, I really love the effect of the serving, I couldn't be happier with how the serving has come out, and the look is great.  Even the spreader yard parrel, which probably nobody else will ever notice when looking at the model (other than me), I think is so much better with the serving, even though doing that bit by hand while one end was attached to the yard was a huge pain in my ****.   :P

I've also downsized most of the rigging line, using a rigging plan that I found on modelshipbuilder.com.  http://modelshipbuilder.com/page.php?188

Many of the blocks are also downsized (especially the cannon tackle) from the kit sizes.

Seizing all of my rope terminations has also done a lot for the overall look I think, but that might just be me thinking it does, since I'm the one that's spent so much time seizing little ropes!

Tonight I got the spreader yard lifts and aft braces rigged.  At this point it's pretty obvious that stuff is going to start getting in the way, so I'm going to have to break down and do the ratlines next, so I guess that's the project for this weekend.

Following the lead of many other build logs, I made a simple guide out of a manila folder that I clipped in behind the shrouds to help me space and align the ratlines.

post-14925-0-88950000-1442724031_thumb.jpg

Then, let the clove-hitching begin!

post-14925-0-91812800-1442724032_thumb.jpg

If anyone makes comments about how inconsistent my ratlines are, I'm just going to show them this picture, from a real ship, that I took while I was on my San Diego trip.   :)  Maybe I'll just mount this picture on the base!

post-14925-0-76656000-1442724069_thumb.jpg

Addendum - After looking at all the pictures I took while I was in San Diego from all the ships that had ratlines, I chose to use the dark brown rope to make the ratlines, even though most of the ships there had tan rope ratlines.  The reason is, that in every single picture other than the super close-up shots, the ropes look brown/black from any distance at all.  They appear to be the same color as the standing rigging unless you are right up on top of them, for whatever reason.

If I could go back in time a few weeks I would probably have ordered the light brown rope to do the ratlines with, because I think that would be perfect, but since I don't have any of that rope in the right size, dark brown is what I'm going to use.  I think the tan just stands out too much, and as you move away from the model it doesn't blend in like the tan lines on the real ships do.

You are right Brian. We try to make our models so "perfect" but that's not how it is in real life. Ropes aren't perfect, Decks, rails or anything wood has wear, cuts, nicks, etc. I no longer try to get mine so perfect anymore. Little imperfections add character & looks more realistic!

And, the starboard side is done.  I was hoping to finish both sides this weekend, but I had a fair number of other chores to do around the house, and I discovered that I was only able to tie off about 6 lines before feeling the need to get up and do something else for a bit, so it took a little time.

Tomorrow night I'll put lines on the guide for the other side and start the next half.  Woo... 

post-14925-0-68321000-1442810963_thumb.jpg

Hello Brian, It's been a while since my last visit to your build log... So i put my glasses on and keep reading... You did an amazing job ,Planking ,detailing,ringing etc...

Well done mate!! :) :) She is beautiful.

Kind Regards

Dimitris

I'm finished tying clove hitches!  Yay!

Just before the final trimming...

post-14925-0-29712700-1443071009_thumb.jpg

All trimmed up...

post-14925-0-27841400-1443071020_thumb.jpg

And a couple of overall shots now.

post-14925-0-26231000-1443071030_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-66481700-1443071037_thumb.jpg

I made a bit of a list of what I think I have left to do, and I think I'm on track to finish in 2-3 weeks, barring something unforseen, or something taking more time than I expect.  I then have an idea for a base which may take a couple more weeks, but overall, looking good for a mid-late October finish I think.

Hi Brian,

Very impressive...been very much enjoying watching your rigging work.

The full hull shots really show how your AVS is now coming to life. It must be nice to be at least starting to see the finish line!

Cheers,

Nigel.

I'm finished tying clove hitches! Yay!

Just before the final trimming...

attachicon.gif769Ratlines.jpg

All trimmed up...

attachicon.gif770Ratlines.jpg

And a couple of overall shots now.

attachicon.gif771Overall.jpgattachicon.gif772Overall.jpg

I made a bit of a list of what I think I have left to do, and I think I'm on track to finish in 2-3 weeks, barring something unforseen, or something taking more time than I expect. I then have an idea for a base which may take a couple more weeks, but overall, looking good for a mid-late October finish I think.

Hi Brian

Really nice work and a very impressive ship you've got there!

I'm just wondering about your comment about the stand though, because to my mind, what you've got there is full of character and close to what the real ship's cradle could've looked like. Additionally, it certainly looks the part! Keeping it may save you some extra work.

Just a thought.

Cheers and all the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Congrats on getting to this milestone Brian. :dancetl6:  You've done an outstanding job on her.  I agree with Patrick about the cradle. I think it looks fine and adds character.  

Now that I'm done with the ratlines, it's back to the other rigging.  I had previously rigged the aft braces, and needed to do the fore braces.  The fore braces attach to the bowsprit with a collar, which is supposed to go between the bowsprit chocks and the iron ring.  Well, I placed the chocks and the ring per the plans, rather than figuring out before-hand how much crap was supposed to go in that space (lesson learned here).  There are already ropes doubled up in this space, and there was no way that a collar was going to fit here as well, so I placed the collar on the forward side of the iron ring, simply because there's just nowhere else to put it without going all the way back and remaking the bowsprit, which I'm just not going to do as that would set me back months.  "Good Enough" time.

Making the collar...

Starting with a pair of 5/32" double blocks, and a couple of 6" lengths of .025" dark brown rope, and a couple of long pieces (48") of .012" tan rope.  

Step 1 - Make a couple of eyes in the ends of both brown ropes for the lashing.

post-14925-0-78041700-1443159186_thumb.jpg

Step 2 - Seize the two brown ropes together to form the bottom of the collar that will be lashed around the bowsprit.

post-14925-0-31246200-1443159194_thumb.jpg

Step 3 - Seize the double blocks into the brown ropes.

post-14925-0-41961700-1443159201_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-95968300-1443159208_thumb.jpg

Step 4 - Seize the long tan lines under the brown ropes.  These will the the standing ends of the fore braces.

post-14925-0-81223800-1443159216_thumb.jpg

Step 5 - Lash the collar to the bowsprit with brown thread.  I still haven't figured out a decent way to take pictures of these lashings under the bowsprit.

post-14925-0-44755700-1443159227_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-32516600-1443159235_thumb.jpg

Now it's ready to actually rig the fore braces.  These lines run from the standing end at the collar up to the pendants handing from the ends of the Spreader Yard, then back through the outside hole in the double blocks in the collar, and then to the bow where they are belayed on the inner cleats on the bulwarks next to the bowsprit.

post-14925-0-66799000-1443159242_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-40084700-1443159250_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-45109200-1443159259_thumb.jpg

I'll have to get a shot against a darker backgroud at some point.

The deck is getting really covered by loose rope ends now, cleaning all of them up and making coils is going to be quite a project.

Next I need to rig the top yard, but that will likely be Saturday, as I have plans after work tomorrow.

Edited by GuntherMT

So a big milestone was just reached.  All the rigging is now in place!  

The last big item was the top yard.  First thing was to make the parrel that holds it to the top mast.  It has one end closed in an eye-splice, and the other end has a pair of eye-splices so that it can be lashed in place after wrapping it around the top mast, and the double rope between is served.

post-14925-0-25670300-1443398017_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-34001200-1443398018_thumb.jpg

Here is the top yard all rigged up and ready to hang.  In addition to the parrel, there are a pair of blocks, the foot-ropes, a brace and lift on each end, and the halyard in the center.

post-14925-0-95105000-1443398018_thumb.jpg

This shows how the parrel holds the yard to the top mast, and the halyard supports the yard vertically.  Also a wider shot prior to rigging everything, with just the halyard holding it up.

post-14925-0-37416400-1443398019_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-86824100-1443398019_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-43724300-1443398020_thumb.jpg

Jump to the end, I rigged all the lifts (top yard and spreader yard which actually hangs from the two blocks on the top yard), braces, and the flying jib halyard and inhaul.

post-14925-0-04018700-1443398021_thumb.jpg

And what it looks like now.  All the rigging is still long at the bottom belaying points so that I can adjust things.

post-14925-0-02262600-1443398022_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-04875800-1443398023_thumb.jpg

All the blocks and sheaves work.  All the parts are actually held in place by the rigging, and it's all functional, in that I can adjust the rigging however I want.  I can raise or lower the yards, and adjust the angle of the yards and boom (the Gaff is pinned in place due to the angle for mounting it, but if I cut the pin, it would also be adjustable).  If I had sails, the clew lines, in-hauls, and out-hauls would all function to raise and lower the sails.

All that's left now is to make the anchors and bouys and rig them to the catheads, clean up all the ropes on the deck after final adjustments, and then make rope coils for all the ropes at their belaying points.  

Oh, I also need to re-do a few of the swivel cannons before I mount them, and then do overall touch-ups as needed, and make the base for it to sit on.  Still a lot of work left to do, but damn it's great to see it looking pretty much done.