Armed Virginia Sloop by GuntherMT - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale 1:48

To echo what the others have said Brian, you did a marvelous job on her and you should be proud.  The photography is great too, by the way. :)  

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Fantastic Brian, congratulations! I have learned so much following this build, looking forward to your next one

Brian,

Great build! god is in the details and you have built great details. I love the base as well.

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Thanks everyone.  I'm pretty happy with how she turned out.  I'm always my own worst critic so I of course see all the faults, but yea, I'm pretty proud of this ship.

Frank, feel free to bring whatever you like!  You'll of course see her on Saturday as well, will be interesting to see how the plastic folks feel about it.

Hi Brian,

Just want to add my congratulations on a  truly wonderful looking model.  I hope you enjoy displaying her for many years to come.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Brian,

Congratulations on completing your AVS.  It has been a real pleasure following your build log and it will be an inspiration to other AVS builders.  I look forward to your future builds.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

So beautiful! Congratulations!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Brian I echo all the above.  I just cannot believe that the bowsprit is so long on this vessel.  The strain on the masts and stays must have been incredible.

David B

Hi Brian

A seriously brilliant job you've done! All I can do (at the risk of sounding boring) is to echo everyone else's comments above.

Have you considered sending your photos to the kit manufacturer? Perhaps they may want to use them in their advertising/promotional material. Just a thought!

All the best

Patrick

Thanks again, everyone.

Patrick, since almost nothing above the false deck (except the bulkheads) is out of the box, I don't think it would be very honest of MS to use my build photos in their marketing. :)

Brian congratulations, well done, she looks beautiful.  Chuck's rope really makes a big difference, the rigging and rope coils, along with everything else, look terrific. 

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

Superb. The standard for the AVS has been reset. Congratulations it has been a great pleasure following along.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Excellent job Brian - a real beauty - be very proud!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Thanks all.

Brian,

Totally unrelated to the ship, but your photos are so good--just curious what camera did you use? I also realize the photographer makes a difference ;)

Thanks!

Marcus

Marcus,

I use a Nikon D3300 with the kit 18-55mm lens. I shoot with a tripod using longish exposures so that I can adjust the aperture for depth of field.

Happy to answer any questions you might have, but currently at your model show, so likely tomorrow before I can respond.

Less than a week after finishing the AVS, yesterday I got up far too early, and spent the day at the annual model show put on in Phoenix by the local IPMS chapter. The Modelzona show is one of the largest annual shows, this year it had 550 entries, with my ship as the only non-plastic entry.   :)

I entered the AVS into the Surface Ships class that included some pretty amazing entries, including a 1/700 scale Japanese WW2 carrier in the middle of launching a strike, that had 313 little tiny crew figures servicing the planes and manning the guns etc., as well as 4 different entries by a guy who is a professional model-maker as his day job.

At the end of the day, the AVS did quite well. I took first place in Surface Ships, and also Best Ship (all ship/submarine classes).

post-14925-0-96823500-1446992696_thumb.jpg

Edited by GuntherMT

Congrats Brian. After all like Dirk said, you deserved it.

Cheers

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Congrats Brian. Like the others have said, it's a well deserved award, as it should be after all the extra steps you've taken to produce a model of this quality.  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Congratulations Brian,

Not only Is the ship incredible but your build log is one of the best on MSW. Bravo!

Best,

John

Edited by Landlocked123

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”