HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by Chuck - FINISHED - 1:48 scale - kit prototype

Magic!!!  Seriously I have no idea...I just work very slooooowly.    Drives others nuts when they watch me working on something.  

Working really hard on slowing down my pace. At my age, it's really tough.

I remember reading a comment from one of our friends.... "So many ships to build, yet so little time."

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

So, consider a little change in direction, Sawdust Dave. Do you want to leave five sub-standard models or one really good one? I know which way I jump!

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

If the "Standard" you refer to is the likes of our friends Remco, or Danny, or Chuck P..... These masters are our teachers. All we can do is try to learn from them and emulate them as much as possible.

So, to answer your question honestly.... Indeed, I would choose to spend my time building two pretty darned good ships that will make my grandkids go "WOW PAPA! That is so beautiful!", rather than to take the same time to create one ship that would make fellow modelers go "WOW Dave! What a clean model!....(but still not as perfect as the ones built by the masters I just named - therefore still sub-standard)

Heck fire guys, I'm just an old woodworker that fell in love with building little wooden ships. I'll leave all the handwringing stuff to those of you that take this stuff more seriously than I.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

If the "Standard" you refer to is the likes of our friends Remco, or Danny, or Chuck P..... These masters are our teachers. All We can do is try to learn from them and immolate them as much as possible.

We should definitely NOT try to immolate them. :D

I actually think that might be illegal, in the U.S. at least.

Sawdust Dave: All I was trying to say was consider the idea: I wasn't pushing that you go in that direction. I certainly didn't mean to criticize your work! If you took me wrong, I apologize. Please don't immolate anyone!

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Guys

All I can say is that I am careful and slow to a fault.  Its tough to get stuff done this way.   But I do agree everyone should just slow down.  Its what I recommend  a lot of folks to do...

Anyway...back to Cheerful.

I was able after two attempts to shape the boom crutch and create a procedure for doing so.  The key was starting with a much thicker piece and making the boom crutch a bit over-sized to start.  I cut out the boom crutch on a piece of 1/4" thick boxwood and carefully adjusted for three angles.   When completed it will be just 1/8" wide to match the width of the fashion piece.  Now that the starboard side is complete I can do the other and take pictures at every step.  This is certainly one piece that needs slow and attentive care to the angles involved.  The boon crutch must be turned inboard slightly so the boom can actually sit in it.  This is tough because the fashion piece and the side of the hull goes in the opposite direction!!!   This one piece took me over four hours to produce, shape and paint to a finish I found acceptable.

A few careful reference marks and filing...then turn the piece inward and you are good to go!!!   I will have a step by step soon.  You can see the second boom crutch over-sized and ready to shape in one of the photos.  Note the tail is left long so the proper angles can be created while sanding it shorter.

Because the boom crutch was painted black it might be hard to see in these photos but essentially the boom crutch must match the angle of the fashion piece when viewed from the side and from astern in two planes while being turned to line up with the path of the boom (or the main mast).  All while hiding the seam between the two pieces...thank God it is supposed to be painted black.   :)

boomcrutch.jpg

boomcrutch1.jpg

boomcrutch2.jpg

boomcrutch3.jpg

boomcrutch4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I don't often stray into the "scratch build" side of the site, but I just wanted to check out what the "sensei" is up to.  Amazing work Chuck.

I swear I'd pay good money just to sit quietly in your shop and watch you create one of those amazingly precise scarf joints.  ;)

Eric O.<p>Current Build: US Brig Syren, kit

Thank You....if you are ever in th e neighborhood let me know..

I love getting company during the day.   :)

• 2 weeks later...

indeed I meant every word.  I enjoy the company.

As promised here are some step by step for making those pesky boom crutches.  Its important to start with an extra thick piece and cut the crutches out so the tail is extra wide also.

You will soon see why.

I find it easier to concentrate on one angle at a time.  To get these pieces positioned properly you must get the four angles done separately....one step at a time.

Start by filing the fashion piece flush with the cap rail.

boomcrutch7.jpg

Then viewing the boom crutch from the stern try and establish the correct first angle.  This would be the angle of the fashion piece along the transom as shown below in green.  You do this by filing the bottom of the crutch stem.

boomcrutch8.jpg

Then turn your attention to the angle when viewing the crutch from the side.  You are trying again to establish the fore/aft angle of the fashion piece as shown below.  This is why you made the crutch so much wider and cut it out of 1/4" thick boxwood.  Sand it to shape with a file.

boomcrutch9.jpg

Then.....we have to make the boom crutch face the lower mast.   On most models I see they are facing forward or even outboard.  This wouldnt serve its purpose to well.   The reason for making the stem of the crutch wider is so you can turn the crutch to face the mast.  Note how the fore edge of the crutch is flush with the fashion piece...BUT the aft corner hangs off the fashion piece.  Mark the aft side of the boom crutch as shown below and file this bevel into the outboard edge.  The round crutch remains untouched.  You are only beveling the stem.   Then also bevel the inboard edge of the stem to complete it.

boomcrutch10.jpg

boomcrutch11.jpg

Its at this stage where I glued it in position.   Then I filed and sanded it further to shape.  I filled the joint with wood filler and sanded it smooth so the crutch and fashion piece looked like one piece.  Thank God it is going to be painted black.  The last angle we should concern ourselves with is the angle of the top of the crutches when viewed at the side.  This is easier done while it is glued into position.

See the angles established in red so the crutches match the sheer or are at least level rather than slanting upwards.  This is important and the bottom of the crutch....inside the crutch should also be addressed and angled downward slightly or at least leveled off if need be.  Think about how the boom would REST in each crutch when establishing the angle inside the crutch.

boomcrutch12.jpg

When you are done....do it all over again on the other side and try very hard to get a matching pair.  Note how the stems are not very long and the crutches are so very close to the top of the transom.  If you hide the seam well and paint it the results are very convincing.  You will no doubt have many parts added to the waste pile as I did.  These are a bit tricky.  :)

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the great step by step overview. Really useful tips that can be applied in many parts of a build.

Very much enjoying watching the Cheerful come together.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Hi Chuck,

Great description and pictorial. It will be very helpful! Thanks.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Chuck I always enjoy seeing your updates, always something new to learn, and yes your workmanship is inspiring.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks for the tutorial.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

beautiful work Chuck,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Looks great Chuck, and very good explanation of the process.  

I was happy to see the model in person (it's even better in real life, although your photos are superb) and to finally meet you at the NRG Conference.

Thank you Frank for the kind words.  It was a pleasure meeting you as well.  :P  Unfortunately when I got back from the conference I caught a bit of Bronchitis.  I havent been in the shop for five days now.  Its a slow recovery.  But I hope to get back in there tomorrow.

Chuck

I came down with the same thing.  I originally blamed it on the chill I got during the NY Giants game (but hey, we won so it's OK), but now I'm thinking I got it from talking to you!

Get well soon.

After reading this log for weeks and weeks, I went ahead and ordered your plans and all the other laser-cut goodies that go with it.  It's really a good value.  I looked at other kits that were going to cost a whole lot more, all for a bunch of basswood and thin, warped plywood.  Plus with the instructions and your log here, the building documentation can't get any better.  I've actually agonized over the decision of what kit to get.  The nervous feeling I had in my stomach is now gone....I kid you not.  Thanks so much...for everything about this model ship.  It's going to bring me a lot of fun being able to build this.  :10_1_10:

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.