HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by Chuck - FINISHED - 1:48 scale - kit prototype

I did start working on the model again today.  Nothing big.  I just fabricated the boarding ladder steps today.  I made a scraper with the profile I wanted and then cut the steps from the strip.  I was careful to angle the back side so the top of each step was flat and not angled once held against the hull.  There are three steps per side although one is on the wales so its impossible to see after you paint it black.  Maybe if I adjust the camera settings a bit.  The sides of each step were filed to mimic the front profile and then they were glued into position.  I had to cut away some molding for the top step.  The top of each step is deeper than the bottom.   I started with a 3/32" x 3/32" boxwood strip.

Chuck

boardingsteps.jpg

boardingsteps1.jpg

cheerfulwater.jpg

I am just following the original draft. Its identical.   I dont want to make stuff up,  I am being 100% faithful to the original draft.  I agree but it seemed to have not bothered the designer.

boardingladder.jpg

Ergonomically it makes sense the way it is from a balance point of view, one step higher and then it would be easier to lose your balance swinging over the rail. because you would be too high.

Nice profile Chuck.

Michael 

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

There will also be 'guest ropes' to grab as you climb those steps. If you look at Chuck's version of the draught, you will see two stanchions for these ropes on either side of the steps.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Today I tackled the channels.  No easy way to make these.   You just have to go old school.   These are unlike the channels most have grown accustomed to.  These are much thicker (5/32") and they are not as wide.  When viewed from the side they gradually get thinner buy a little bit.  The bottom is beveled or angled so the outboard edge is just 1/8" thick.   Maybe a hair thicker.

Note how the usual cover or cap molding isnt shown.  Basically small notches are filed into the edge and the chainplates will be bolted to the edge.   Many cutters show this feature but there are other arrangements too.  But I figure the original draft should be followed here.  Its an interesting feature.

Then the profile along the edge is made old school with a round file, sanding sticks or whatever you are comfortable with.  Note how the gunport splits the channel in two lengths and the edges in the break are not profiled.

I had hoped to make the eyebolts and chainplates today but I dont have enough brass strip so it has been ordered.   While I wait I will continue finishing up the outboard details like the scuppers and rudder.  The channels are not glued on yet as I await arrival of more material.  They will be finished up first with eyebolts.

The outboard details shouldnt take very long to do.

channels4.jpg

channels.jpg

channels1.jpg

channels2.jpg

channels3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The channels are in and I added the eyebolts to the exterior of the hull.  I also drilled the scuppers which was pretty straight forward.  Then I started to fabricate the plates for the backstays.   These were made using 1/64" x 3/32" brass strips.   The K&S strips are soft and can be filed easily to shape.  You can see the progression of steps used to make them.  There will be three chainplates on each side of the hull.

I started by drilling the hole at the bottom and rounding it off.

Then I used a round file to notch the strips on both sides as shown in step two.  This will be the top of the chain plate where it gets thinner.

In step three I used a flat file to extend that thinner portion on top so I could bend it into a loop like making an eyebolt.

Step four is where I cut off the top excess strip and tapered the bottom portion so it got slightly narrower as it worked its way to the top.

The last two examples show the chainplate completed with the thin portion of the brass on top bent into a loop.  This will get a hooked tackle when it comes time to rig the back stays.   I used small little brass pins....you know the ones...they come in every kit and I have a whole bunch of them.

Next its on to the deadeyes and chainplates for the channels.  Its really the same procedure to make those except we will add a stroped deadeye to the top of each.

The outboard details are almost all complete.  Once the deadeyes are completed there is only the rudder and fixed block on the stem.  Then we finish up inboard!!!!

bstayplates.jpg

bstayplates1.jpg

cheerfulwater.jpg

Thank you gents!!!   Hopefully get the other side done this weekend and start on the deadeyes and chainplates.

Great work.  Do you get these K&S strips on-line?   And are these the same brass strips you use for the 'scraping' tools?

Thanks.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Yes I buy them online here.....

http://www.hobbylinc.com/cgi-bin/s8.cgi?str_s=k%26s+bar

Yes you can use the wider sheets and strips to make scrapers.  They dont last forever but get the job done for me.

Chuck

Chuck,

Your logs are one of those that set the standards for tutorials.  :)   Beautiful smithy work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I can only second Marcs words. Your logs are really helpful

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thank You very much  :) .  Just a small update as I got tired of making rope today.  I started in the chainplates and deadeyes.  They are made pretty much like the others I showed, only longer.  The deadeyes are stroped with 22 gauge black wire. I have six more to go and probably will get that done after Thanksgiving.  I wish all of you a happy and tummy stuffing turkey day.

Chuck

deadeyes.jpg

deadeyes1.jpg

deadeyes2.jpg

She's looking soooooo good. Enjoy thanksgiving with your family.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I was thinking about the horseshoe bracket.  I understand it's function, but was wondering if it had any superstitious connotations, like a good luck charm would by the ship's builders?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

I am not sure actually...but its doubtful.  

Today I reached a milestone...not much of an update however...I have completed all of the outboard details.  The rudder will added a little later as I wanted to finish the inboard details at the stern including the seats first.  BUT...then I noticed that the aft-most deadeye is a bit too high.   So I will have to redo that chainplate before moving on...maybe tomorrow...Oh well!!!  I spoke too soon.  But at least I can start the inboard details as well.  The fixed block for the inhaul at the bow was also completed.

Chuck

inhaulfixedblock.jpg

Great technique on the chainplates.  I've learned a lot of building methods by just following along.  Congrats on the milestone and I will be watching for your subsequent posts.  Which reminds me that I need to order some of your deadeyes, blocks, and rope at some point.  But I'll wait and see what you end up using.  I'm not in any hurry.  ;)

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Chuck,

I read through your tutorial on tree nailing, and was curious what specific Elmer's Wood Filler you used to be so close a color match to the castello boxwood? 

Also, how do you get the lines of holes drilled for tree nails straight?  Temporarily line it out on the hull with tape??

Thanks!

Erik

Its just the regular natural stuff.  The holes are so tiny it doesnt really matter...its the pencil outline that does the trick.  The holes are just a #78 drill bit.  Yes...I use some tape to line up the row of treenails.