Chuck

HM Cutter Cheerful - 1806 - 1:48 scale by Chuck

First thing you need to do is wash the guns thoroughly and get any oils or residue off of them.   Then you really should prime them first.  Then apply paint.   I didnt prime these but I am also very careful not to handle them too much at all.   But the paint sometimes does come off but not as much as I have seen in the past.   I have also taken very fine steel wool and cleaned them before painting. It makes the paint adhere better.  But rinse them off afterwards.  I didnt do that either this time but if handled gently its not a problem.

Some advice I've found that works from the model railroad world is to bake the painted brass part.  I've done this simply by letting the painted brass sit about an inch under a hot light bulb for about 10 minutes.  The light bulb should generate enough heat that the part is hot to the touch.  Do NOT use this technique though for any brass parts that have been soldered (it may pop the solder joint), or have plastic parts attached.  For Chuck's carronades, if they have the wood monograms glued on, you may want to test this technique on one before you do the whole batch. Also, as Chuck said, to avoid paint flaking off, if at all possible, avoid handling the parts once painted.

Erik

To begin making the carriages,  I first removed the laser char from the mini-kit pieces.  Even just making the four remaining carriages for the port side takes considerable time.  I used a sanding stick and there are many pieces.  

In addition,  the outside ends of the axles were rounding off and all of the pieces were painted red ahead of time.  

Finally I decided to make a small jig to make assembly easier.   You can see it in the photos and its simple to make.

Step one was placing the axles into the jig.

Then the two pieces ....the transom was added atop the front axle and another strip was added across the rear axle.  Note how the front axle is shorter than the rear axle.

carriages1.jpg

Step two was when I added the sides (brackets) to the carriage while they were in the jig.   The carriage was removed and a length of 24 gauge black wire was pushed through the holes in the sides of the bracket.  The carriage bed will sit on top of this eventually.  The wire is snipped off so each end stands a little proud of the surface.  

To finish of step two the wheels (trucks) were put into position.

carriages2.jpg  

Now to finish these four carriages off....the next steps will be shown soon.

Chuck

Very clever design for the jig Chuck!  :) Am I right in assuming the notches for the trunnions are left with the laser-char there for a better fit?

The next step was to add the carriage bed and on top of that add the quoin.  I didnt add the quoin handle yet because I always break those.  So they will be the last bits to be completed.

carriages3.jpg

In that same photo you will also see the metal work is completed.  The brackets (sides) were actually made in two pieces and held together with long bolts through both top to bottom.   Even though these are one piece the two bolts visible were simulated.   I used 28 gauge wire.  After inserting them into the holes I cut them so they stood proud of the surface.  There are the eyebolts on the aft side for the tackle.  These were made from 28 gauge wire as well.

On the sides of each bracket there is also a bolt through to the transom.  For this I used 24 gauge black wire.  Finally one more eyebolt was added to the side for the tackle.  I will not add the eyebolt and ring for the breech rope yet because its easier to do that while rigging the breech rope.  But I did drill the holes for them.  That is an absolute must.

carriages4.jpg

Finally some images of the cannon placed on each carriage.  The trunnion cap was just made with some heavy paper painted to match th emetal.  Then I added a small length of 28 gauge wire to simulate the hinge for the trunnion cap.  I wont be adding any chains or other small details.  I dont think they look very good at this scale unless they are done perfectly.  Rather than try and become a "kitchen sink" modeler,  I prefer to simplify and concentrate on neatness and execution.  I know I wouldnt do it justice. 

carriages5.jpg

carriages6.jpg

carriages7.jpg

Now to begin the other five carronades for the other side....YIKES  :)

Neat as a pin, Chuck! I'm sure you've researched it, but the bright trucks look a bit jarring next to the painted carriages. Is this artistic license or have you seen similar carriages on other models?

Thanks....

I have done the research.....I agree Greg.  It is rather bright...more so in the photos than in real life.  The truth is I have seen it done three ways...left bright and also painted red to match the carriages. I have also see black trucks.  Th eSurly contemporary model has them left bright.  But now that you mention it,  lets see.  I thought that might be too much red however?  I imagine I could test one and if it doesnt look good I could replace the trucks.  Its easy enough.....

Also take a look at this one cutter model with ivory trucks.  go figure!!  I wont be doing it this way.

med_gallery_229_1142_185894.jpg

Black trucks

black trucks.jpg

red trucks

red trucks.jpg

Any thoughts.

They look really good in a natural finish. Black looks good too but red would be too much IMO. Maybe nature trucks with red axles?

I ordered the Cheerful starter kit today. I am really excited but need to be patient and finish a couple more kits before I start it.

Edited by alde

I actually think I am going with red.....what the heck....there is always the next model if I dont like it.   But yes I dont like black either.   But red might be OK.   I have to try it at least once.... ^_^

And at least everyone building her will see a few different styles and can choose better because I took the plunge.  Most contemporary models have red trucks.  Black and natural also but much less from what I have seen.   But I agree with Greg,  they may be too bright as is now.

Chuck

Chuck,

I think red would look better than natural.  And definitely not black.  They'd probably look good if you left them natural, but stained them golden oak, or something similar, but since you're not staining anything else, when viewing the deck area in it's entirety, they might look out of place.  Just my humble $.02.

Erik

Hi Chuck

As you said, replacing the truck is easy enough, so make one red, one black and leave one natural. Then take a photo of the three on the ship together to compare them. That way way can all see how they compare in one shot.

Cheers

Edited by Endlesshunt

HI Chuck,

Build is fantastic and I love the finish on the guns.  Thanks for yet another great tip!  On the truck colors, I am glad ivory is out, but for me any of the other colors could look great so a test would be very interesting!

One question if you don't mind...what are the brand and shades of the paint you use on the Cheerful please?

Cheers,

Nigel.

Edited by UpstateNY

Thanks guys.  I have actually switched to Grumbacher paints for this model.  Just to try them out.  They are from a tube and acrylic.  I am using Mars Black and Crimson.  Thats it.

Chuck,

In my humble opinion the red trucks would look best.  The plain natural wood color looks too "visually obtrusive" contrasted with the red gun carriages.

Tom

Since everyone seems to be voting, I'll throw in my two cents. I left my carriages entirely natural, but if I had painted them, I would have gone with all red. Whatever you choose Chuck, they will look great, like everything else on your build.

Bob

Hi Chuck.

As you said there will be many variations.

When I get to that point I may make the trucks out of swiss pear just to see how that looks.

If that doesn't work then it's red or natural. Time will tell. :)

Its an interesting discussion.   Well,  I think we have a winner.  Here is the model with the trucks painted red.  I do in fact like this much better than the bright trucks.   Thanks Greg!!!  :P

I know its just a matter of personal tastes but I think I will pursue this approach from now on.  I think its more pleasing and less distracting actually.  Although I will leave the black trucks to someone else to experiment with.

I see the bulwarks are very dusty...much touch up to do.   I will wait until after a rig these which is what I think I will do next.   It will be a nice break from building another five carriages.

carriages8.jpg

carriages9.jpg

carriages10.jpg

Funny Allan....I am itching to see pictures of the Litchfield!!!!  Lets see what you are working on bud.   Move out of Jersey and I cant get any updates.... ;)

Thank you!!!

Here is a first crack at a breech rope.  I am using my .035 light brown rope.   I think it looks pretty good.   This was just a first attempt to go through the motions and now I will detail how I did it.    You can spend endless amounts of time tweaking how this rope falls so it looks natural.  After a while one has to say it look good enough.    Four more to go and then the tackles are next.

Note to self.....paint the underside of that cleat. LOL

Chuck

breech rope.jpg

Canons look great with the red trucks as does of course the breech rope!  Looking forward to learning how you rigged it.

Thank you for the info about the paints you use as well.

Cheers,

Nigel.