HMS Victory by Davesellindge - Constructo - Scale 1:94 - first build

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I thought I better put up a photo of progress, stopped working on galleys and after making about 5 templates for the gun ports and trying to miss the bulwarks I thought I had cracked it but must have gone wrong somewhere. I concentrated on getting the door and centre correct so the the steps etc fitted in the right place. But looking at Pauls I seem to be slightly different. Anyway cut all the holes out left a little to cut so that I get them correct when putting the surrounds in.

I made sure at the start that the gun rails were completely at the bottom only to find apart from 3 on the bottom row I have got to put inserts in through the holes. The other rows also need some. 

post-15227-0-38647100-1422027669_thumb.jpg

Looks great mate. Wow memories about the canon ports and all that framing to do come flooding back,

(flooding, not a term used in the ship world ) the canon backs seam to be a problem for us all, even at the bottom yours have to be extended, really needs addressing for future kit. Are you considering coppering the hull.

Have just finished cutting out all the holes for the guns, it was much harder cutting the very top ones being Sapelia an double thickness on some.

Have also put all the inserts in to make the guns equal length, just got to paint them then start putting the frames in that's going to be tedius.I might paint the guns for a break.

Despite putting the backs of the canon supports at there lowest point they still missed allighnment, how irritating and a pain. Doing all those holes I remember it well and then the framing. My ship, I have gone post shy at the moment, well I'm still redoing all the steps and its tedious and suffering a bad back has prevented progress too. Oh! and waiting for my Proxxon DL250 lathe to arrive from Germany, to turn the mast. OK I know a dewalt would do it like my bowspit (shhh dont let the Mrs now) but I love toys. Keep up the good work.

Edited by Paul0367

• 2 months later...

I think I have bit off more than I can chew, I am finding it very hard, I can see why you buy the tools but as this was my first attempt  obviously the wrong one. But using that word filler and paint it might one day not look to bad. At least I am getting something that will look like the Victory and I will be the only one that has to look at it. I am not going to let it win and I enjoy watching you all out there building your ships and admire your work. 

post-15227-0-92903500-1427885124_thumb.jpg

Stop beating yourself up, that looks really good, look you have even changed the captains quarters from the brass and looks like you got it all level, unlike someone typing this whom had to rip it all out and start again. We are building our first ever ships, were learning on the job without training. Experience will help us for the next build, which I hope you are planing on

Have just finished cutting out all the holes for the guns, it was much harder cutting the very top ones being Sapelia an double thickness on some.

Have also put all the inserts in to make the guns equal length, just got to paint them then start putting the frames in that's going to be tedius.I might paint the guns for a break.

Dave I too am going to paint her, but for the guns I am going to use brass blackener rather than paint, should give the finish I want and easier to complete.

But I am going to add copper but weather/age the copper as well to a more blacky/green look (or try the brass blackener).

Lastly and more importantly she is looking mighty fine to me. If you want to see a battle should have a look at my Racehorse part build log, has taken a lot of time, trials and tribulations to get it this far. But seriously I would be pleased with what you have accomplished so far, will definately look the biz when done.

Current Build HMS Racehorse 

Yeah Dave a wealth of information, I have a note book going now with do's and don't s, a list of things to make the model better, when to do things out of step with the instructions for an easier life.

Paul has been fantastic with his information and answers to questions.

• 1 month later...

Wow. Looking nice, takes me back seeing her like that. There is loads of small stuff to do with very little visual impact on the model, people look and say its not changed since I last saw it, after spending months on canon carriers and railings and deadeyes and linkages and grates and belay pins and the racks they reside on, never ends, that said you Keep it u, this is the fun part. Finding somewhere to put it afterwards is where the problem really start.

Edited by Paul0367

Its far from perfect but I will carry on until its finished, if nothing else I am enjoying doing it and having contact with you and the  other helpful people on this site.

If I was starting again I would have done many things different, I thought that the windows were the shape that they cut out but now realise they needed to be squared up etc.

Have made a start on the front decided to paint as I go along as some parts will be hard to get to. Due to my lack of know how

I followed the instructions and measurements for the pillers fixed them all on only to find then I could not the the loops with the wire so mine are a slight change in design. The paint colours change when put onto web

post-15227-0-92479900-1431612882_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davesellindge

Hi Andy

I might have another go and change them. The paint is a dull yellow and so is the blue the photos make it look much lighter.

I use the Caldercraft Admiralty Paints. Have a look at Cornwallmodelboats.co.uk  they have the kits or you can also buy them separate.They are a very good shop to deal with and have a good range of products

If you look at the above photo and the yellow at the stern is nearer to the colour

Edited by Davesellindge

I think you are doing a great  job nd tackling the Vic as your first model is pretty gutsy.  Have fun and follow the advice you get and when you get tired just walk away for awhile then come back and work on it again. 

David B

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply, have already opted for the Admiralty Victory paint kit, agree Corwall are great.

Looks like as I have seen mentioned else where, the black comes out shiny, compared to the colours, may apply a satin varnish over the top, I'll experiment first :).

Working away from home has given me excellent time for research, nearly finished my first spread sheet for the Standing Rigging at scale, depending how far you want to go, or should I say obsessed as I've become, I know the kit is under stocked on thread.

For info as an example, foremast mainstay is around 1.6mm with the preventer stay at 1.3mm, shrouds 1.0mm, rat lines etc 0.1mm, the 0.1mm lines come in at about 100mtrs worth at least.

Anchor Cable around 2mm.

If you are wanting any help or info when it comes to it only too happy to share what I put together for myself, learned from scouring the web and rigging books.

She is coming together fine Dave, believe you will be very satisfied when done, the enjoyment is also done in the creating, looking forward to more.

Thank you all for your comments it has been one of the best things I did when I joined Modelshipworld, I will continue to do my best and with all your help I shell get threre. The trouble is I write down the suggestions and then get carried away following the plans and then make a mess and remember the help offered. 

Edited by Davesellindge

No Dave, what you have to remember is you set out to build a model of the Victory and..................you are building a model of the Victory :)

I have had the luxury of time, looking at books, dossier of pics, the web, your build, Paul's build and others including the Caldercraft and Hellier models, cross ref between them all and as she stands and disappearing down the rabbit hole, as I can't at the moment even lay the keel.

With everything I want to do have gone from a conservative two year build to at least 3 possibly.

Just it has changed from the kit being ordered.

But I'll stop filling your build with waffle, if I can help just pm mate.

Hi Dave.

Your comment, I might have another go, sounds very familiar. Ive purchased a ton of wood for all my turn backs, although its never the quality of the wood provided in the kit.

As for not using/ forgetting advice,

that old saying comes to mind, you can lead a horse to water. Ha ha. Andy mentions the thread and lack off it, I hope his is the correct colour to start with and not like mine, GREEN.

Edited by Paul0367

Thanks everyone for your support, I have started on the railings, I found cutting the posts into to two pieces was a pain trying to get them to look straight. When I started on the front ones I thought I would recess the complete post on the ends, this worked.

So on the side railings I am going to try and cut out the the holes so that I can put complete post's in.Photo shows first attempt

on the small part, know to try the long piece.

post-15227-0-54879900-1431846020_thumb.jpg