Question about cutting planks from wood sheets

Hi everyone,

This might seem like a silly question, but I was wondering how people approach cutting planks from wood sheets.  I ordered a bunch of sheets from Jeff at Hobbymill, which are 3" wide and I think 18-24" long.  When cutting planks from those sheets, is it better to cross cut the sheet to the length of the planks I will need, and then cut the individual planks from that piece?  Or should I cut planking strips from the full sheet, and then cut them individually to size?  I can see the benefits of both approaches, but wasn't sure which would be the most efficient use of the wood.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Mike,

I really don't think there is a 'right' way to cut your sheet.  It all depends on the sizes of your planks.  You'll have different lengths of planks as you work around the hull, so whichever way you cut you'll have at least some waste.  it's just a matter of watching your lengths and making the best use of it as you go along.

John

Brian, I have a Byrnes saw :)

John, thanks very much.  I sorta figured that things would be case dependent.  

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Brian.  I've cut some pieces for the keel of my Lyme build on the saw, but I need a lot more practice.  That thing scares the crap out of me, especially having some kickback when I first started using it (which went away after I pushed out the back end of the fence a tad).  I bought one of these with the 1/8" leg attachment to see if it makes things a little safer and easier.  I'll post my experience with it after some trial runs.

http://www.microjig.com/products/grr-ripper/index.shtml

Mike

I agree with John.  I do both.  I try and go with a standard length plank and cut the sheet accordingly.  However, life is not perfect and I often have to trim here and cut some that are longer there.  The other thing I find is that the narrower the sheet becomes, the harder it is to cut the loooong strip.

Another issue is that if you are spiling correctly, some of your planks are not going to be straight.  You will have to use a 1/4" wide piece (for instance) to get a curved 1/8" wide plank.  The next one, because of the curve, might need to be 3/8" wide to start.  I have not done alot of this yet, but I find I will cut out just enough (and a scosh more) than I need.  It makes for a real patchwork of the sheet.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Thanks Chuck, that makes sense.  I haven't tried spiling yet, but that's good to keep in mind about having wider planks to work with.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
I cut all my planks by hand from sheet wood. I have an assorted set of brass squares and use these for marking the plank width while held in a vise. I mark the width of the plank slightly oversize and cut it from the sheet, full length. Then I cross cut the plank to slightly longer than the finished size and plane it to final width. Place, mark to final length, glue and done.

You get used to it. I can do several dozen in an evening.

Larry