Serving machine

I'm looking for plans to make a serving machine. Otherwise, if anyone knows who make them well, and at a reasonable price.

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Brian,

I guess I should ask:  define reasonable?  

Alexy (one of our sponsors)  makes a very nice one that has a motor option:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/5366-serving-machine-25-serving-machine-20-power-option/?hl=serving

I have this one:  http://www.shipahoymodels.com/equipmentforsale.htm  (near the bottom of the page).

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well, call this one solved. I found purchased this:

Thanks!

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Brian,

I have this one:  http://www.shipahoymodels.com/equipmentforsale.htm  (near the bottom of the page).

Mark,

Thanks for the lead. I've been looking for this website for a week now after I say the server on Gil Middleton's build log.

Jack

Hi Mark,

A colleague of mine who knows I've gotten into shipbuilding, somehow had one of the serving machines you have and gave it to me. It didn't come with any kind of paperwork or instructions and I don't have the first idea of how the thing works. I based on the picture, I have all the parts.

Is it difficult to use? Do you know how I might learn to use it? Thanks.

Best,

Steve

Edited by Perls

Steve,

Have a look at Gil's Victory log starting here:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/485-hms-victory-by-gil-middleton-jotika-172/?p=128568   That post and the next one. He explains it very clearly. 

The box is in my wood storage area (closet) and if I can remember where in there I stashed it, I'll see if there's instructions.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark,

Thanks. I looked at Gil's build log and the way it looked to me that the machine was basically used to simply serve a thead around larger cord. Below are some pictures of what I will be needing to do:

post-14028-0-71283800-1412035646_thumb.jpg

post-14028-0-11384400-1412035704_thumb.jpg

post-14028-0-02766200-1412035777_thumb.jpg

Do you think this machine can help do these?

Don't worry about looking for the instructions, the gizmo has a phone number on it I will call.

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by Perls

I picked up some gears at the local RC Hobby store ad built mine. The only thing I would do differently next time would be to reverse the gears.

post-10450-0-89125300-1412036252_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-40129000-1412036253_thumb.jpg

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Steve,

It would let you serve the large line/cable only.  As for the seizings, those would have to be done manually.  So for a deadeye, you would serve the shroud, lay around the deadeye and then seize it.  Third hands with two alligator clips are good for doing the seizing.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks Again Mark,

After I made the post, I realized that all the lines in the pictures were served first. Do I need to serve all the the shrouds/lines before I seize them to dead eyes, eye bolts, shackles, etc. ? If so, I'm really glad I have the machine! :);)

Thanks Again,

Steve

Edited by Perls

The short answer is "yes".  Serve before attaching.  But not all lines are served....  Off the top of my head, I don't know which.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Steve,

It would let you serve the large line/cable only.  As for the seizings, those would have to be done manually.  So for a deadeye, you would serve the shroud, lay around the deadeye and then seize it.  Third hands with two alligator clips are good for doing the seizing.

You can actually use the machine for seizing as well.

Here is a video by Alexey, who is the maker of the serving machine.  I think my link takes you to where he is finished assembling the machine and begins the demonstration on how to use it to serve rope, make beckets, strop blocks, and do seizing.

http://youtu.be/o5gZQRN6yoU?t=7m8s

Thanks for the video Brian.  I've got it bookmarked for when I start my rigging.  I didn't realize you could that.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks for the video Brian.  I've got it bookmarked for when I start my rigging.  I didn't realize you could that.

I figure anyone that can build something like that after a half bottle of cognac has GOT to know what he's doing. :cheers:

In Dry Dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Serving machine arrived yesterday. 10 days. Not bad at all, ya ask me.

In Dry Dock:

You're not kidding. You'd have to use a hammer on those gears to break one!

In Dry Dock:

He's also a sponsor.   :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

What does "sponsor" mean?

In Dry Dock:

Go to the main page:  http://modelshipworld.com/ .  Down on right below the globe are number of dealers who help MSW by donating money, kits for auction, etc.

You can also go here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/forum/41-traders-dealers-buying-or-selling-anything-post-it-here/  and have a look at the pinned posts.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: