Can i live without a BYRNES TABLE SAW

I love mine so much that I want a second that always cross cuts and the other is the ripper!

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

On 6/1/2019 at 2:08 PM, No Idea said:

Byrnes table saw for sale in the UK and he's selling a thickness sander too

Nicely priced as well, not, although the thicknesser is a bit more reasonable

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

7 hours ago, paulsutcliffe said:

Nicely priced as well, not, although the thicknesser is a bit more reasonable

For the UK market it’s actually a very good price. If you bought it brand new, once you’ve paid taxes and shipping that saw would be about £950

Many thanks to No Idea for posting the link to the ebay auction. I was the only bidder and am now the proud owner of a Byrnes saw for the starting price of £450. Or at least I will be when I pick it up - just a 140 mile round trip sometime in the next few days. 

My old Preac saw still works, but it's no longer in production and I find it very hard to source replacement blades in the UK. I've been hankering (lusting!) after a Byrnes for ages but have always been put off by the shipping and import costs. They were horrendous for the Preac many years ago, and I hate to think what they would be now, so I was delighted to see one listed locally. I can't wait to get working with it, and am going to start by re-reading all the tips and advice on the forum. 

There were a couple of bidders for the thickness/sander which went for £280.01 - slightly more than the opening price but still reasonable. That auction ended an hour or so before the saw auction, so I was anticipating at least as much interest for the latter and was bracing myself and my wallet for a potential bidding war . So I was pleasantly surprised when I put in the only offer. Perhaps all my fellow UK modellers already have Byrnes saws!

Off to bed now, very happy 😁

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

3 hours ago, DelF said:

My old Preac saw still works, but it's no longer in production and I find it very hard to source replacement blades in the UK.

If you aren't already aware, Jim Byrnes will sell you a custom-sized arbor adaptor for any size saw blade you have, so if you have problems sourcing Imperial-sized arbors in the metric UK, your problem will be easily solved.

Derek,

This might be of value then:  Byrnes Saw Operation.pdf

The source of blades for this guide recently shut down, but there are others out there.  It has lots of great tips.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark

I haven't sourced any for the Byrnes saw yet. I've had a hard time finding any blades for the Preac - the main problem being their small diameter. I managed to get one from Amazon recently (https://www.amazon.co.uk/0-5mm-Thickness-Circular-Slitting-Blade/dp/B009XPCT02/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Sourcingmap+blade&qid=1559927411&rnid=1642204031&s=diy&sr=1-1). 

I've also had success with arceurotrade.co.uk - just search for slitting saws.

Hope this helps, and thanks again for highlighting the eBay listing!

Derek

Cheers, Derek

I picked up the saw yesterday (carefully - it really does weigh around 30 pounds!). 

I must say it has lived up to my expectations so far, both in terms of build quality and performance. I tried a few tests cuts when I got it home and was very impressed with the accuracy. For example, when I rip cut a strip from a board, the difference in the width of the two ends of the strip was no more than 0.01mm/.0004". I also tested the micrometer stop. The saw is fitted with the metric version, so I measured my strip, moved the fence 0.1mm cut again and remeasured. My digital micrometer reckoned I'd taken 0.09mm off. One hundredth of a millimeter difference is probably within the reading error using a micrometer and in any case I can live with that level of accuracy for model making.

Today I used the saw to make a display base out of a solid oak plank. The machine had no problem at all ripping and cross cutting through 18mm/0.71"

hardwood.

On 6/7/2019 at 7:08 PM, Bob Cleek said:

I expect that Jim Byrnes will continue to offer blades on his website. I expect they wouldn't be expensive to send to England. They're flat and fit in an envelope, so I suppose they could be air-mailed without any problem.

I think I'll follow Bob's suggestion. The saw came with two carbide blades which are absolutely fine, but with 0.055"/1.4mm kerf they turn a lot of expensive timber into sawdust. Also, although the finish on the cut surfaces is perfectly acceptable, it is not quite the mirror finish I get with the Preac, so I'll probably get a couple of thinner slitting blades. Either that, or I'll pick up Bob's other suggestion and get some arbor adaptors from Jim Byrnes as I believe I can get suitable blades in the UK.

Bottom line though - this is definitely my new favorite toy tool.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

• 3 months later...
On 6/1/2019 at 3:08 PM, No Idea said:

Byrnes table saw for sale in the UK and he's selling a thickness sander too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Byrnes-Model-Machines-Table-Saw-Accessories/264344805686?hash=item3d8c2da136:g:UfAAAOSww4Zc8a3S

Don't say I don't look out for you guys :)

Oh, wish I’d seen that earlier - that is one  opportunity not occuring often :(

55 minutes ago, Matle said:

Oh, wish I’d seen that earlier - that is one  opportunity not occuring often :(

If I see any more I'll post it on here :)  I've been cutting some planks on mine today and every time I use it I just get a huge smile on my face.  Its so accurate and a pleasure to use.  I wish Jim would build a spindle sander - I'd buy it in a heart beat!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So another Derek has made the plunge.  Today I purchased the saw with all the accessories.  It's my Christmas gift, the admiral is happy because now she doesn't have to shop for me. Delivery cost to Canada is reasonable, $86 US for standard UPS or $165 US for expedited service. Considering the price of the saw, shipping is a small percentage of the total cost. I chose the standard method.  I was told it would be 10 days to 2 weeks to ship.  I'm sure the shipping will take a week or two.  Hopefully it will be under the tree on Christmas day. I thought long and hard about purchasing the saw.  A lot of the posts on this thread wondered if it would collect dust and i had the same thoughts.  But I'm sure I can use it for a lot more than just ship modelling.  For example, I have the plans for the Veritas Traditional Tool Chest which I bought several years ago.  I think this saw would be perfect in helping me build the tool chest.  Byrnes was very helpful with my order.  They realized I made a mistake with the order then suggested I add to the order with the spare parts bag.  For $8 it is a lot cheaper getting it now then trying to buy it later.

I' m excited and can't wait for Christmas day.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Congratulations Derek - prepare to fall in love!

I recall when I bought mine, shipping to Australia added 50% to the price. Now, I couldn’t even tell you how much it actually cost me - only how much I love it. As the old adage goes, quality is remembered long after price is forgotten.

Two machines of Byrnes I really like to get is the table saw and sander. I have the thickness sander of his and I love it.
One thing when it comes to Byrnes machines, is how quiet they are.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Well done Derek - you won’t regret it!

Derek

Cheers, Derek

10 minutes ago, Bob Cleek said:

Another modeler rescued from the Dark Side and brought into the fold! :D 

I'd sooner say the opposite! A creative spirit unleashed

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

On 9/30/2014 at 2:12 PM, AntonyUK said:

Hi Boyd.

We can all live without luxury things.. But it's the best out there..

So much so I am considering in investing in a Thickness sander from Jim.

I use a much larger saw to rip my timber into manageable bits then into the Byrnes saw to finished size.

Most of the time I need only very light sanding as the finish is soooo good.

Regards Antony.

Hi Anthony

As the Bryne saw is made in the USA, is there a problem with the difference in voltage between the USA and the UK? If so, how did you resolve it?

Michael

member of
United States Naval Institute

Royal United Services Institute

Society for Nautical Research
Navy Records Society

author of
The Art of Nautical lllustration - A Visual Tribute to the Classic Marine Painters, 1991, 2001 & 2002
United States Coast Guard barque Eagle, 2013 (Blurb Photobook)

former assistant editor of the quarterly journal and annual 
Model Shipwright and Shipwright 2010

1 hour ago, Torrens said:

Hi Anthony

As the Bryne saw is made in the USA, is there a problem with the difference in voltage between the USA and the UK? If so, how did you resolve it?

They're available with 110 VAC or 220 VAC motors, as the buyer wishes. There are also available step-down and step-up transformers to convert one voltage to another. 

Edited by Bob Cleek

So I am very strongly considering making this my Christmas purchase as well. However, I find the thought of reading back through a 300+ comment thread impossibly daunting. Does anyone care to provide a reasonably brief summary of the most important points to consider when buying one, especially with reference to all the possible add-ons? I have a budget and cannot just splurge on "all the goodies". I am primarily interested in sawing my own planks and other parts (i.e., frames) as I have a large stock of maple as well as cherry and other fruitwoods harvested on my property that I'd love to start using instead of shipping wood across the country. I also like the idea of making thin pieces for use in other wood artistry.

Thanks for any feedback you all want to provide.