drill press/mill decision

Hi,

After selling my large WM-18 mill I am in the market for a more practical size machine for modelling.  I have to confess that I also used my mill as my drill press to save space and costs.

My question is whether the following is practical?

Purchase the Proxxon http://www.satberlin.de/en/PROXXON-machines/Table-top-tools/PROXXON-Bench-drill-press-TBH-NO-28124

With compound table

http://www.satberlin.de/en/PROXXON-machines//PROXXON-Die-cast-aluminium-compound-table-KT-150-NO-20150

or would the MF70 mill be better

http://www.satberlin.de/en/PROXXON-machines/Table-top-tools/PROXXON-MICRO-miller-MF-70-NO-27110

The tools would only be used for milling wood and very small metal items as needed.  My issue is whether the drill press could handle the lateral force?

Into the mix could also be

http://www.satberlin.de/en/PROXXON-machines//PROXXON-Mill/drill-system-BFW-40/E-with-controller-NO-20165

any thoughts from experience?

regards

ian

Ian

Still Sane? who knows, who cares

Current Build Panart deck section

I have the proxxon TMB 220 which runs up to 8500 rpm. I have the KT 70 attached. Great little drill press but Still not quick enough I think. Brian is right, go with the MF 70 it runs at up to 20 000 rpm.

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Just received  my MF-70 yesterday through Amazon after struggling with the same questions....there are many ways to accomplish any task related to this hobby but the mill  will certainly add a degree of accuracy to many of them. I saw some You Tube videos with the unit being automated through a connection with a computer...something I will definately look into! 

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

FYI - I was actually talking with an Australian distributor for proxxon yesterday. Had to pick up a couple of new 'toys'. The MF 70 has just been upgraded and is now equipped with step motors instead of hand wheels ( CNC ready) . May be worth a look????

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

Time to upgrade Brian????

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

I'd have to agree. I have the KT 70 compound table on my TMB 200 drill press. The hand wheels would be much easier to adjust if they were 50% bigger.

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

There is enough clearance to do the same thing on the drill press as well.

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

Brian,

I hope you will post details of your solution when you find it. I would be very interested.

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Drill presses are not setup to handle the lateral forces, nor are the drill chucks or chuck to spindle attachments designed for the end mills tendency to pull downward into the work piece. Get the real mill. Been there done that, with larger pieces.

If contemplating CNC control for your MF70,check out this German company,offering conversion kits and also lots of other parts for this miller.

http://www.usovo.de/shop/CNC-Machines-accessories/CNC-Conversion-kits-Proxxon/Conversion-kit-for-Proxxon-MF70-into-MF70-CNC::274.html?language=en&MODsid=7ftmjahdc2u9hv1rue00e2tbq3

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Though not a complete solution increasing the diameter of the finger spindles on the wheels seems to improve sensitivity. I just wrapped some tape onto the spindles to double their diameter for testing purposes.

Mike.

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Brian,

I hope you will post details of your solution when you find it. I would be very interested.

Mike.

Do a search for hand wheel with revolving handle on the net, dozens of companies make these. It may take some time to find the size you need but I'm sure someone out there will make something suitable.

If contemplating CNC control for your MF70,check out this German company,offering conversion kits and also lots of other parts for this miller.

http://www.usovo.de/shop/CNC-Machines-accessories/CNC-Conversion-kits-Proxxon/Conversion-kit-for-Proxxon-MF70-into-MF70-CNC::274.html?language=en&MODsid=7ftmjahdc2u9hv1rue00e2tbq3

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nice,.... and just as I feared....with  any hardware purchase, the accessories one may accumulate will likely surpass the cost of the original investment  ---LOL--- the software to run the CNC enhancement is not even included with the hardware----a  pricey adventure me thinks---

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Looking at Brian's picture again I can't tell if the calibrated collar is a separate part or integral with the hand wheel? If it's integral then another solution may be required. I'd probably turn a piece of alloy and make a recess 35mm diameter so it could be slipped over the existing hand wheel and locked in place with a socket (grub) screw. It may be possible to modify an existing product in a similar way but would of course require the use of a lathe. In both cases you'd need to remove the rotating handle from the old handwheel.

I think the easiest solution for the MF70 would be to remove the handle from the handwheel and fit it to a larger disc.Then glue the disc to the handwheel.However,having machined pieces recently that overhang the table,whilst they may be enough clearance,it would be nigh on impossible to turn a larger diameter handwheel in this instance.I struggled with the standard setup.The only other option would be to pack the workpiece up,but then you reduce the height capacity.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Acrylic is quite brittle Brian. Polycarbonate sheet would be better. Other suitable common plastics are Nylon or PVC. Acetal is often sold as an "engineering" plastic as it can be machined to quite close tolerances but I've seen this stuff snap under modest load as well.

If I was going to have someone make one up for me though I'd go for Aluminium Alloy.

There is another option if you can drill and tap a couple of holes in the existing handwheel, and that's to bolt a metal strap across it with a rotating handle on it.

Edited by Q A's Revenge

Nigel,

I like your approach. As you probably know there are some heavy duty double sided tapes available these days so it may not be necessary to look beyond them for a fix and this would allow reversion to the original state if a particular job required full clearance. 

Mike.

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

A question about the stepper motors mentioned above.  Do they have to be used with cnc computer or can they be used manually.

I am not ready to go into a learning cycle for CNC but would like to be able to move/adjust the x-y-z axis using power vs. cranking by hand.  Thus far I have not found a solution. I would like to be able to set the power feed to specific x-y-z motions and depths, perhaps with some repeatability.  For instance, a set up like that would have helped when drilling pin holes for a copper plating stamp I recently made.

I appreciate any thoughts.

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

There are a number of threads about this topic in this forum.  One that might be helpful is called "milling machine" and was last used in Nov of 2013.

One difference is that the Sherline is known for working both metal and wood parts. I am under the impression that the  MF70 may be for wood only. ( I would appreciate someone who owns one chiming in.)  Another difference is the range of accessories available for the Sherline. These are important if you are going to do more than just basic woodwork.

An additional difference, and an important one, is the highest speed each can attain. The MF70 is listed at 20,000 RPM while the top speed of the Sherline (standard unit) is about 2,800 RPM.  Big difference... but, there is a split opinion among the users.  Some say you need the higher speed when working wood.  Others say that you don't, just feed the piece slower.

I have an MM micro mill that has specs similar to the Sherline's and I have not had any problems with splitting etc. That said I not used a high speed wood mill so cannot give a hands on comparison. 

I would be interested in hearing from those who have used both machines.

Richard 

Edited by rtropp

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Ahoy Brian :D 

I do not have the mill but do have the same XY table on my Vanda lay set up. I was thinking of having the outside of the wheel knurled so you could grip it and turn them with your fingers. 

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

• 1 month later...

I have the Proxxon MF 70 and its very nicely made. I also purchased their pantograph attachment.

The admiral sent down a memo that Ill be receiving the MF 70 for Christmas...   What is the pantograph attachment?  Does it go by another name?