Bearding Line

I've looked at so many tutorials I can hardly see straight, but none (I can find) address this problem: the Grenado plans show the bearding line forward and going aft through the slot for #9 bulkhead.  The result would seem to be a loose bulkhead and no discernible use in laying planks.  Help!

Greetings Fred,

Don't worry about it. If the bearding lines and bulkheads forward and aft of #9 seem good, lay a straight edge along the bottoms of these bulkheads and draw a line from one to the other. Try #9 again and see how she looks relative to this line. If necessary, modify the bearding line, slot, or bulkhead to arrive at a fair run for the bearding line. It will all make sense once you realize what it is you are trying to accomplish. The top of the bearding line should be at the bottom of the bulkheads to facilitate planking installation. Check the drawings and instructions carefully. Usually they call for the tops of the bulkheads to be flush with the top of the keel/former. 

HOLD ON - Another thought: is it possible you have the #9 in the wrong slot? Double check this, and the other bulkhead locations, before you do anything else.

wq3296

Thanks, wq.  I've been trying to add a picture of the plan to show the line going through the bottom of #9 bulkhead (also #10, but less), but trying to follow the How to Add Photos instructions I can't get the photo up,so I'll have to learn how to do that another time.  Anyway, I  had already transferred the bearding line from the plan to the keel and test fitted the bulkheads.  Sure enough, the line passes through the bottoms of both bulkheads just as shown on the plan, although less.  I do have the correct bulkheads in the right places (good thought though) and the tops are flush with the top of the keel.  I conclude from all this that your solution is the way to go and my apprehension probably results from lack of familiarity with plans in general.  I'll have to get over it.  Thanks again.

Edited by FredSC

Fred,

Now I see - no issue at all. Just fair (blend in) the bottoms of those frames until they conform to the bearding line. Notice that the shapes of those frames are pretty close to where they should be anyway. It will make more sense if you hold a plank along those frames. The plank is supposed to lay almost flat, with minimal flare out, from the keel all the way up to the turn of the bilge. The plans probably show this in the hull sections.

wq3296

Thanks, wq.  The plan also shows no rabbet line, but I'm cutting one in at the bottom of the keel so planks will lie sort of flat against the false keel.  Sound right?  Don't know what I'll do at the stem, but I will work it out.