Friesland by ChrisLinden - Mamoli - 1:75

Chris

Thank you for your response. I guess I'll have to get some "ink & stain" and just practice...practice & practice some more. I don't hope to get anywhere close to your results but maybe I can get a little close. Can you at least tell me what brand of "ink & stain" you used that way I can use the same things you used. Again keep up the great work it is such an inspiration.

best regards

J

The paints I use are Citadel (Warhammer miniature paints) and they are water acrylic based. This makes it easy to work with as opposed to Humbrol-like paints. Contrary to popular belief, these modern acrylic paints hold perfectly fine on metal also. 

They have a range of "inks" or "washes/shades/glazes". The names are all esoteric/fantasy. But basically Nuln Oil = just black ink. Calthan Camouflage = Green etc... 

Games-Workshop-Citadel-Paints.jpg

Edited by ChrisLinden

Finished: Pinta, Amati

Current Build:  Friesland Mamoli 1:75

Hi Chris,

just out of curiosity: do you exclusively use Citadel paints? Do you brush these on or do you use an airbrush (as well)?

Thanks!

Fair winds and following seas,

Jan-Willem

current build: Billing Boats Bluenose "the anonymous schooner" (enhanced-bashed-scratched-whatever) in a scale between 1:55 and 1:69

Hi Chris,

just out of curiosity: do you exclusively use Citadel paints? Do you brush these on or do you use an airbrush (as well)?

Thanks!

Yes i find working with them very userfriendly. Sometimes i use a can of black acrylic spraypaint to "prime" metal parts. It dries in minutes after which you can easily put any color on. If you like lots of golds and yellows, a brown undercoat works best to get a clean metalic finish. I use brushes. Airbrush is a lot of hassle and usually not worth the trouble of masking everything

If you want some photos/tips you can find them in my guide on the forum

Edited by ChrisLinden

Amazing work Chris. One of the things that I think detracts from models is the contrast between finished wood and painted areas (especially, where photo etched or cast metal parts are used). You did a really great job tying all those areas together.

Can I ask what you use for the white areas? I find that most white paints are still too bright, and I would like to find a way to dull it either with a wash or something similar. I've toyed with the idea of using a light diluted stain, and other options would be to try an off-white paint like ivory or cream.

Yes that was my goal: to get a more unified look instead of the brass parts feeling tacked on.

You mean the white of the underwater ship? I mixed a tiny bit of ochre into white to make it yellowed. Using a wash to stain it is nice because you will bring out the texture of the planking. But its really hard to get an even finish on such a large area, It will look blotchy quickly.

A good way of making rich whites on ornaments is basing it with a light gray first. Then add layers if slightly watered down white. This will look much better than a single coat of white.

I just can t stop looking at the last pictures, it s like all of a sudden the die cast ornaments that come with the kits make much more sense, i built the San Felipe many years ago, pity it was before the internet. The wood also looks great! Fantastic and very creative!

I just can t stop looking at the last pictures, it s like all of a sudden the die cast ornaments that come with the kits make much more sense, i built the San Felipe many years ago, pity it was before the internet. The wood also looks great! Fantastic and very creative!

Thank you Tomas! :)

Still looking great, are you looking at using the kit supplied rope or goin to source some better lines for the rigging?

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Your a very very busy man! I'm actualy not too sure with Mantua rope. Should be ok though.:)

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

Hey how is the recording going? Hope the Band is all good. Waiting patently for the next installment. :)

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

• 5 months later...

Hey guys

Ive not had a chance to build the last half year. We moved into our new house, my 2 companies has been really busy (in a good way) and we are expecting a new baby. I do want to get on with building cause I miss doing it, but its hard to find the time really.

The silence was deaffening ... good to see you're still up and mostly running. Take your time, good to know you're still around

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Ahhhhhh. Yes. Good to see you back and glad to her all is going well for you and the family.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Hi Chris,

enjoy your free time with your daughter and the coming newbie. 

before you know you have time again for your ship modell  :D

maybe in your spare free time fix a work space in your new house out of range of children and then after a busy day you will start again :D

I had the same experience with my children and new job.

Edited by JanV

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

Somewhat related... Movie on Netflix... "Admiral"   about Holland .. and Admiral DeRyter  several ship battles with ships very similar to Friesland....

Current Build:  USS Constitution ( Model Expo)
Past Builds:

HMS Victory Bow Section
   British Armed Launch
   Friesland (Dutch 74 - 1663)
   Roger B. Taney (US Revenue Cutter )

There are plenty of those in the scratch build forum. But EdT has some real nice ones, furthermore, you could try Archjofo's builds I like his tutorialS a lot

I wonder if those guys at Moamoli's even thought about anything

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Exciting moments.! The shipyard is firing back up again. :)

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Hi Chris,

Although Edt's anchors are great, Dutch anchors did look a bit different.

No iron bands on the wooden parts being a very distinctive one

Jan

Hi Jan, 

Do you have a good reference? I might have to dig up my 7 Provinciën PDF somewhere to see what's in there.