Friesland by ChrisLinden - Mamoli - 1:75

Well what a job! Looking real nice. I do like your paint work. Nice job on the rudder.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

• 1 month later...

Had a break from building, now continuing again. Started making the masts and yards:

1662120_936665549686741_8897332388013501

Fitted the bow sprit to the hull:

10991210_935636603122969_378214021230547

10351388_935636626456300_720115018973218

Tester flag, dry fit just for fun:

10929134_936722633014366_913792890312422

Will post more progress soon!

Edited by ChrisLinden

Finished: Pinta, Amati

Current Build:  Friesland Mamoli 1:75

I really like the look of the "warhammer" paints (inks?)  that you are using --- are they similar to a "wash"  used for adding depth? Please add some specifics on the technique and supplies you use......thanks in advance.

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Hoi Chris, I wish you a speedy recovery and the flag looks great.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello,

Its been a long time since I posted. Ive been away from the hobby due to starting a new company, becoming a father and getting a new band together to record music. Recently I felt a strong pull again, so I picked up the Friesland build.

Long overdue on the todo list was wiring up the last LEDS. I had pondered long and hard how to tackle the LEDS in the lanterns. I couldn't really figure out a good way to do it. Finally I decided to just "start" and troubleshoot along the way. I think I found a decent way to do it, and will describe it here so if others like to try something similar, they can take cues from what I did. Theres likely many ways to do this, but here's what I ended up with:

1. Saw of the top caps of the lanterns so you have an open space to work with.
  2. Remove the inner excess "circle" to clean up the interior
  3. Drill 2 holes in the bottom to receive the wiring. See first picture below.

Lanterns_PoppedTheCap.jpg

Friesland_Lanterns_RemoveInnerRing.jpg

Friesland_Lanterns_FittedWires.jpg

1. Dry fit the lanterns into the wood
  2. Pull wires through the back of the ship, run them into the lanterns
  3. Make sure you have enough access wire so they stick out at the top
  4. This makes it easy to solder the LEDS onto the wires (and why I popped the tops of the lanterns off) 

In the wood backside (don't know the jargon) of the ship, drill holes to fit the lanterns plus 2 smaller holes to pull through the wiring. At least for me the wiring was branched of from the leds under the decks. Make sure you leave the wires at excess length so they come out at the top of the lanterns. This makes it easy to solder the leds onto the wiring. When done, you pull back down the wires and led into the lantern. Tuck away the excess wires underneath the deck. 

Important note: The metal material of the lanterns acts as a current for the electricity. I found its important you keep a little bit of the plastic wire shielding in the holes at the bottom, to act as shielding. I forgot this at first and the leds/wires were touching the lantern, making everything flicker. 

1. Occasionally check all LEDS still work
  2. Once the LEDS are soldered on, pull them and the wires back down into position
  3. Secure the Lanterns into position

Friesland_LanternsAllFitted.jpg

Friesland_LanternsAllFittedBackside.jpg

You can see above that I have excess length of wires, but these will be "pulled" back in and then glued to the metal poles of the lanterns.
I will then paint it all to hide the wires as good as I can. On the ship side, I plan to drill some gutters into the wood to receive the wires, then plank over it. 

Once you feel confident everything is ok, you can glue the top parts of the lanterns back on. In my case I will paint the whole metal material in a custom color with wash inks to age it. So Im painting first and adding some fake plastic glass before glueing everything down. 

A few tips I discovered: 

1. The wire is from a railroad model shop, the thinnest thickness I could find
  2. Buy 2 different colored wires to make it easier to keep track of Plus - Min.  I had 1 color and it drove me mad to continually double check what was plus and minus. 
  3. Cut the metal LED rods short so they fit into the lantern. You only need about 6mm length to solder your wires onto. Mine are still a bit too long, Try to make them as short as possible. 
  4. Consider leaving the LED rods longer if you like to have the LED bulb end up inside the "dome" at the top of the Lantern.  I tried to get mine in the middle of the lantern. Do what you feel looks best.
  5. The electricity wires, even how thin, still are hard to hide from sight. If you don't like this consider not LEDding your lanterns.

Hope this helps some of you who consider adding LEDS to your Friesland.

Looks very nice Chris and thanks also for the explanations on the how to.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I kept checking in to see if you had done anymore posts. I have this kit too and have been following your build to see what I'm in for. I do like the interior lighting that you have installed, looks amazing.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

Hi Chris,

nice work on the lanterns. 

When reading your post right now I had two ideas to hide the wiring better. Maybe it is still of use to you?

1. you mentioned that the lanterns are metal and conduct electricity and you have to protect the wires from touching the lantern. I would try to use this as a feature by connecting one pole of the LED to the lantern and the other to a wire. In this way you need only one wire and let the lantern feature as the other wire. On the inside of the ship you can attach the other pole to the lantern. For instance: source attached to minus wire, minus wire attached to LED, LED to lantern, lantern (on inside of the ship) to plus wire, plus to source. Just like a lot of halogen desk lights. If you cannot solder to th lanterns, use conducting glue.
  2. Since you will not have any serious current running in the wires, why not reduce the wire to just one (or two or three) strands? This will be much thinner than your wires. You can probably insulate these with paint (lexan paint??) or glue in the places where it is needed. 

You also might take a look at telephone wire. It is also very thin.

I hope this helps you in any way  ;)

Fair winds and following seas,

Jan-Willem

current build: Billing Boats Bluenose "the anonymous schooner" (enhanced-bashed-scratched-whatever) in a scale between 1:55 and 1:69

Hi Chris,

nice work on the lanterns.

When reading your post right now I had two ideas to hide the wiring better. Maybe it is still of use to you?

• you mentioned that the lanterns are metal and conduct electricity and you have to protect the wires from touching the lantern. I would try to use this as a feature by connecting one pole of the LED to the lantern and the other to a wire. In this way you need only one wire and let the lantern feature as the other wire. On the inside of the ship you can attach the other pole to the lantern. For instance: source attached to minus wire, minus wire attached to LED, LED to lantern, lantern (on inside of the ship) to plus wire, plus to source. Just like a lot of halogen desk lights. If you cannot solder to th lanterns, use conducting glue.
  • Since you will not have any serious current running in the wires, why not reduce the wire to just one (or two or three) strands? This will be much thinner than your wires. You can probably insulate these with paint (lexan paint??) or glue in the places where it is needed.
You also might take a look at telephone wire. It is also very thin.

I hope this helps you in any way ;)

Hi those are great tips. I will consider trying it thanks alot!

Perhaps you should dim the light somewhat.

The lanterns look good, but quite bright.

The original had oillamps and candles in the lantern, so not a very bright light....

Jan

Hey Jan, theres a dimmer underneath the main deck i can turn to lower the lights. Right now its turned to 10 :) the photo also exaggerates a bit. IRL its more subtle

Hey Chris, don't feel sorry. I have not started this kit yet as I am finishing off the rigging on the HMS President. Hopefully in the next month or so I shall lay the keel.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Just tagging on with the electrics I believe you can purchase some component that simulates a flicker just like candle light. Actualy I think I have seen it on this site somewhere. If you want to get real serious of course.:)

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Just tagging on with the electrics I believe you can purchase some component that simulates a flicker just like candle light. Actualy I think I have seen it on this site somewhere. If you want to get real serious of course.:)

Yeah i felt that would get a bit too tacky :) the electronic chip and dimmer etc is already stuck in place from way back at the start of the build. Im not going to change that anymore. I dont think i will do Leds again on my next ship. Its a lot of trouble imho

I that thought about doin LEDs on my Mississippi build but opted out for the same reason.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Looks good Chris. Can't wait to see this beauty again in Duizel

Hey Jan i had planned to be far on with rigging at Duizel 2015 but I have yet to get started, and i even have much work todo on the deck fittings which will not be reachable again later if im correct. So i guess I have to lower my goals :)

Hi Jan

See this link http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/threads/3e-editie-ontmoetingsdag-duizel-zaterdag-26-maart-2016.227235/ for the next meeting in 2016.

This is becoming the #1 meeting for historical sailing ships in the Netherlands.

keep that date free in your agenda and hopeful we can then meet

Jan

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

Im having a busy week at the company so progress will be slow. I managed to finish the Leds and begun finishing the deck fittings. In paralel im making all the masts and yards and reading up on rigging.

Will try to post an update with pictures again soon :)

Edited by ChrisLinden

Worked on the Friesland for 2 hours today to finish up that last upper deck and the railings. I am taking a little bit of liberty in this area. The Mamoli plans show differences and my Hollandischen Zweidecker plans are another variant. I also made a few calculation errors way back in the beginning of the build that I've only noticed now. So ... trying to fudge it here and there :)

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

Once the railings and deck fittings are fully in place I will stain to age the woods and paint the metal castings. 
Probably when everything is done on the hull I will go back one final time on touching up the paintwork on all the stern decorations as well. I am not 100% satisfied with that yet.

Edited by ChrisLinden

It looks real neat. Are those green strips the kit color or did you repaint them? The ones in my kit were real lite in color so I think I will repaint them.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Worked on the railings and balustrades some more. Slow going as usual with only a few hours to spend after the little one is asleep. 
But slow going is better than no progress :)

Also I have to take out my proper camera again, cause these iPhone pics are looking kinda sh*tty :) 

FullSizeRender-6.jpg

FullSizeRender-7.jpg

Edited by ChrisLinden

Done a nice job on the handrail. I like the look of your strakes. Well done.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction: