Friesland by ChrisLinden - Mamoli - 1:75

Worked on the Friesland for a little bit yesterday. Started making the 64 cannon port hatches. I think I won't continue adding them to the hull yet as they are super fragile and I imagine they will get knocked loose frequently when I'm rigging the masts.

It does look nice though :) Light at the end of the tunnel for constructing the hull. 

post-9645-0-21376500-1444038268_thumb.jpg

post-9645-0-36597800-1444038269_thumb.jpg

post-9645-0-14499000-1444038270_thumb.jpg

Finished: Pinta, Amati

Current Build:  Friesland Mamoli 1:75

Ahh yes the repetitive job of gun port hatches. Still looking good. I noticed on your middle picture the cannon on the left of the frame is black. Will you be blackening the rest of the cannon barrels?

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Ahh yes the repetitive job of gun port hatches. Still looking good. I noticed on your middle picture the cannon on the left of the frame is black. Will you be blackening the rest of the cannon barrels?

Yeah the one thing I cant stand about this hobby is doing 1 task 50 times the same. I guess some enjoy that but not me haha

The canon color is all over the place. The black is a spraypaint primer. Others i tried variations of metallics, inks, pigment powders etc. Not decided on a look yet. Overal my model is quite a patchwork to be honest. Oh well... :)

Wait until the time arrives for tying the Ratlines!

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

worked on finishing up all sorts of leftover jobs around the hull/decks. Trying to get a more consistent paintjob/color on the railings in the process. Fitted the guns on the forecastle. Im keeping the rigging super simple cause frankly Im not feeling up to the challenge of rigging it accurately at this scale. This one rope already drove me to frustration so yeah, dark times ahead :) 

FullSizeRender-5.jpg

Friesland_FInishingDeckFittings.jpg

Friesland_ForecastleGuns.jpg

Chris,

Your Friesland is looking great.    Yes Ratlines take forever on this ship , but it pays off when you see them all finished.. 

Same with the gun ports when you look down the side and see them all lined up.

I actually built this ship as well a good 10 years back.  Took me a couple of years to complete.

You may already know this but there is at least one, maybe two Dutch replica ships that are very similar to Friesland.

Google TS Holland.

Best

Current Build:  USS Constitution ( Model Expo)
Past Builds:

HMS Victory Bow Section
   British Armed Launch
   Friesland (Dutch 74 - 1663)
   Roger B. Taney (US Revenue Cutter )

The hand rails look great. Is that a gold trim you have on the length of your catheads

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

The hand rails look great. Is that a gold trim you have on the length of your catheads

Yes but I think I might have to do it like add a piece of thin wire and then paint it gold.

Cause the paint alone only registers if viewed from a certain angle.

The handrails I painted solid and then sanded the edges so that the lighter wood shines through again creating a sharp highlight. Leftover habbit from my Warhammer painting days ;) 

Edited by ChrisLinden

Worked on adding the belaying pins (dryfit) and started adding the glass parts to the lanterns. Those still need a bit of work to tidy up. 

Im going to continue finishing the deck fitttings, canons etc.... I had to order some more gratings cause the ones from the kit are all broken. So I might have to wait a couple of days before I can continue. In the meantime Im studying other logs and ship rigging videos to learn. 

DSC_0384.jpg

DSC_0386.jpg

DSC_0387.jpg

DSC_0389.jpg

DSC_0390.jpg

PS I am aware the anchor wood thingies are wrong. I'll fix that later :) 

Great work Chris.
I always like lines of Friesland. After I heard that Mamoli factory was caught in fire and completely destroyed, I decided to find one kit for future build. Yesterday I finally find one and immediately order it :)  . I assume that this kits are going to be rare on Ebay.

Also I recommend watching Michiel de Ruyter movie where Zeven Provincien could be seen in battle.

Edited by SimonV

Simon

Current build:

Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston by Vanguard Models

Mercury by Victory Models - scale 1:64 - (99% scratchbuild) - on hold

Finished: Bluenose by Amati - scale 1:100

Hi Chris,

battle scenes of movie are my favorites, other is like you said so,so,... :) .

When I am going to start with build? I am planing Friesland as my next project, because normally I do not do multiple projects at the same time. But I will not deny that it is very tempting  :rolleyes: .

Will follow your log with great interest as reference for my future build.

Simon

Current build:

Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston by Vanguard Models

Mercury by Victory Models - scale 1:64 - (99% scratchbuild) - on hold

Finished: Bluenose by Amati - scale 1:100

Your doin a stunning job Chris. How do you get your wood to look like that? With the aged look. Especially like the wood around the figure head. I see on the box the picture shows the figure head lion is a bright red. I won't be doin that. I will be painting it more the way you have done. Looks better.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Your doin a stunning job Chris. How do you get your wood to look like that? With the aged look. Especially like the wood around the figure head. I see on the box the picture shows the figure head lion is a bright red. I won't be doin that. I will be painting it more the way you have done. Looks better.

Hi,

Ive used a few different approaches and experimentation. I recommend trying it on spare parts first before going onto your real ship.

For the metal ornaments: I spray them black with a matte acrylic spraypaint. I get these 2,- a pop at a local Action store.

Its a perfect base to then paint on with water based acrylic paints such as Valejo or Warhammer Citadel paints. 

I've written a tutorial here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8417-painting-tutorial-ornaments-cast-metal-parts/?p=249680

Basically start building up from a dark, subdued color, then slowly build up more highlights by drybrushing. Use inks/shades/washes to create shadows and a matte aged look.

Bow wood: The wood on the bow was the light white bendy wood (dont know the english name) cause I had troubles bending the walnut.

I used Nuln Oil wash from Citadel on it, 2 coats. It soaks into the wood and stains it, giving that deep, old, aged wood look. Mind that wood glue remnants are really visible, the ink wont do anything there.

Railings wood: The wood here was walnut that I painted solid with Dryad Bark (Citadel color) acrylic paint. So I completely covered the natural wood. When dry I used a fine sanding paper to sand the edges, creating a "highlight effect" because the lighter original wood color pops through again.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you want a step by step walkthrough with pictures!

Thanks Chris, that is a big help. I will have to look into these Citadel paints. They seem good quality.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Hi Chris, interesting tutorial. Unfortunately I can only see part (1, 5, 6, 9) of the pictures. The others (2, 3, 4, 7, and 8) seem like a broken link..

Just where it gets interesting...  :o

Fair winds and following seas,

Jan-Willem

current build: Billing Boats Bluenose "the anonymous schooner" (enhanced-bashed-scratched-whatever) in a scale between 1:55 and 1:69

Hey Chris. Any activity in the dock yard lately?

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

• 3 weeks later...

I hope all is well. Looking forward to another post .

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys

I was away from the hobby for a while. Since I've made a big push on finishing the hull

Here's a brief summary: 

• Finished the lanterns on the stern
  • Started adding the last deck furnishings for the rigging, gratings etc
  • Started adding all the canon carriages
  • Started adding the gunport hatches
  • Small repairs here and there

One thing I found particularly useful was adding a small nail into the back of the gunport hatches. This makes them easy to pick up and turn during painting. But the main reason was to add strength of fitting them onto the ship and ease of placement. I drilled tiny holes just above the gunports. Then put some glue on the hatch and stick the pin in. You don't have to hold them in place while drying. And they don't snap off so easily as just glueing them. I love it.

Here's some pics of my progress.

IMG_5660.jpg

IMG_5661.jpg

IMG_5664.jpg

IMG_5666.jpg

Hey it looking great. That's a good idea with the nails on the gun port lids. Your getting closer and closer to the rigging stage!!

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Chris,,, I just love what you're doing with this build..... a fantastic job!!!... your ageing techniques  are outstanding... I really like those inks you used, might give them a try myself on my next build... Will be following  along on your progress... Thanks for sharing!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)