Hanseatic Ship c. 1470 by Foremast - 1:50 scale

Augie, Janos, Michael, Popeye, your words are very appreciated.

I've found some pothos of upper foredeck's building. I used the cutter blade's edge to separate a bit the strips, and so to make the caulking

Cheers

Alex

post-1226-0-29601800-1366473126_thumb.jpg

post-1226-0-32095600-1366473133_thumb.jpg

post-1226-0-43188000-1366473140_thumb.jpg

post-1226-0-22607200-1366473147_thumb.jpg

If any of you cry at my funeral, I'll never speak to you again! (Stan Laurel)

very nice  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye!

Now a new step, the upper aft hull. It was made in the same way of the foredeck, paying attention to the collimation between upper ribs and lower beams. The bended shape of the upper rear hull is a mistake. Anyway, luckily, aestethics is mantained enough .

Cheers

Alex

post-1226-0-53967900-1366738817_thumb.jpg

post-1226-0-66839200-1366738829_thumb.jpg

post-1226-0-27960100-1366738844_thumb.jpg

Edited by Foremast

Looks good from the outside.  But it REALLY looks terrific from the inside on that last photo.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

what mistake?  the way you've done that is superb!   I love the way the colors run.......the ports are cut out so exact.......amazing how you've done that!   the internal framing is a perfect capture of this ship's construction.......I see your pictures in it!  great job all the way around! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks shipmates, for your kind words!

Some other pictures of the aft area. I've shown better the mistake said above: instead of a straight shape, I've done a bended one. I'm glad you think it isn't ugly ... but it's quite possible it's wrong ...

Cheers

Alex

post-1226-0-98730200-1366873792_thumb.jpg

post-1226-0-18116000-1366873805_thumb.jpg

post-1226-0-00908800-1366873817_thumb.jpg

post-1226-0-76916300-1366873828_thumb.jpg

OK, I'll admit it......I wasn't around 500 years ago to see the real thing.  That said, I think the curve of the transom actually complements that of the stern.  If they didn't build them this way, they should have :)

Edited by Augie

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks, lamarvalley!

The transom (I've learned a new noun, Augie has my nomination as english teacher! ^_^)  will remain so. I'm not so brave to demolish it. Anyway, it looks good enough ... I hope Hansa's shipwrights not scold me.

Cheers

Alex

Alessandro,

I think you have perfectly reconstructed the idea of the castel - as it was a castel indeed, a superstructure built on the hulk's hull. It doesn't matter if the transom line was bended a bit or just straight, no-one knows it for sure. The point is you show us how it could look like, and your estimation is quite possible. Your ship, she is a nameless one and she is a generic, late medieval, Baltic ship (and there is no reason to argue with this point of view). Unless there is no important breakpoint, an excavation or an option for a time travel, you are absolutely right with your vision of the model. Keep it going on.

Thanks, Jaro

It helped me the website "flickr", where a few years ago I found various pictures of the Hansa ship Lisa von Lübeck. Some of them (and especially one) show a detail of the internal structure. It was compatible with the Bremen's wreck (despite the difference of about one hundred years) and what is shown in an ancient b/w drawing; I don't find that picture any more, but I rememer the theme: a baron or a king in chains who went ashore from a ship that looked like mine. In the centre of the drawing, the noble on the footbridge who was going to be executed ... and on the left a good detail of the crossed beams that supported the aft castle of the ship.

All the information matched, so I tried to rebuild the whole structure and the final result is shown in my model. I guarantee, the ship is absolutely strong despite the typical strange shape.

I'm glad all this is interesting.

Cheers

Alex

don't you dare change it........I think it looks great!  if you didn't say anything at all none would know the better.  thanks for the extra photo.....the way you did those ports really adds to the beauty of the ship.  she's a real looker!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi, Alex! I like your thoughtful approach to this model!  :) 

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

• 4 weeks later...

just dropped in to say hello..........noticed it's been awhile....is  all OK?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

check in #2...........I need a fix.   hope all is OK.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 4 weeks later...

check in #2...........I need a fix.   hope all is OK.

Hoping all is well here too.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Foremast, ;)

I am doing a bit of catching up, and browsed your log. What you describe as an error or mistake, isn't noticeable. All that I can see is a very beautiful vessel of the period, which I am quite sure that everybody agrees to the fact that you have built a masterpiece to be proud of.

Well Done.

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks friends!

I apologize for my absence, but job issues and family matters took me away from MSW (...and from others good things...)! Whom of us has a wife, :P can understand me: since I got married - about 16 years ago, truely happy years believe me - I postponed a large amount of little works; paintings, repairs, placing of lighting points, ... telling to my wife "soon I'll do it". So, at the beginning of may she gave me the billing: "It's time to do all things, no more excuses!". To do them, first  I had to finish all things in progress of my job, then ... 3 weeks of hard work, and my experience as modeller helped me a lot. When I came back to my job, after a so long time, had to recuperate other matters and now - finally - I can open again the main page of MSW.

I'm looking for something interesting in my folders, and soon l'll post new images

Thanks again for your care, friends!!!

Foremast

Aha-  so the 'real world' reared it's sometimes ugly head!  Happens to all of us.

The important thing is that you and the family are well and your efforts now allow you to return to us :) .

WELCOME HOME, MATE!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks, Augie and thanks, John!

During past days I felt a bit as my avatar .... and while my wife was looking the work in progress, my son teased me all time. Despite all, I survived and I'm still to the helm.

Ahoi!

Yep.. real life does get in the way of our hobby.... :)  Been there, still am there.  ;)   Good to see you back and hope to see some more of you build.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi, Mark! Thanks for your visit!

As promised, here is something new: guns. Typical XV century's weapons: slight caliber and charging at their back. In this kind of guns, the back part of the gun was removable and in that "tin" was placed the gunpowder; after its stuffing, it was inserted in the gun barrel and blocked on the gun carriage with a piece of timber. At this point was ready to fire.

The aft deck's weapons are a bit larger than fore deck's and stern's ones, so they have two wheels for their moving. I had to do the guns at this building point, because the next step was the placement of upper decks and it would have been impossible to place them after.

Cheers

Alex

post-1226-0-35919600-1374227571_thumb.jpg

post-1226-0-41159600-1374227584_thumb.jpg

post-1226-0-66836400-1374227596_thumb.jpg

post-1226-0-69536500-1374227613_thumb.jpg

I am so glad your back!!!!   you've created such a great looking build....I've missed not seeing any progress!  these would be called cannonades......am I right?  ........I gotta get me a ship with cannons :)   they're very well done,  and set in place,  they look even better!

I try and put stuff off as well.........the admiral and I have an agreement though.......she's more than willing to let me show my inner child,  but I have to keep my chores up too.  if I don't,  I can't get the bling and baubles I need for my ships.  she can't use the  'kit card'  on me anymore........she knows I can scratch build Hee....Hee ;)

a poem came to me,  when I saw your post

I thought I was seeing a spectoral ghost

I clicked on it to read your text

and quite surprised at what I saw next

pictures,  pictures,  came to view

of lovely cannons, shiny and new

all set in place,  in neat little rows

which bolstered me to write this prose

we all know life likes to get in the  way

of the modeling we'd love to do every day

words become jumbled, causes me to say

pay the piper...'n...keep the peace

'cuz the more you pay........the more it's worth :)

AHOY!  from New Hampshire

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very interesting guns.  Beautifully deployed Alex. 

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976