Unicorn by ameletters - Corel

I'm brand new to this as well, but until one of the experts chimes in with a better solution, here is what I did for the first few planks (until I ran out of room on the bulkheads to use these).

I found these clamps - http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MX104 and I thought they were pretty neat, but between my impatience to progress, and being cheap, I used the concept of those clamps, and made my own ghetto version.

I took some small binder clips, and cut small pieces of craft sticks (the tongue depressor looking sticks) and chopped them up and glued them to the inside of the binder clips with super glue.

Here is what they look like in action, and they worked really good while the space on the bulkheads allowed them a good grip.

043PlankClamps02.jpg

Modellers Shipyard in Sydney will sell you planking screws. They are a little expensive for what they are but they do work. Have a look at their website, you may be able to make up something similar. I have used pushpins with a plastic piece glued to the underside of the plastic on the pushpin. I hammer rather than screw them into the bulkhead below the plank being attached.

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

• 2 weeks later...

This site is perfectly situated for creative input and some piracy! Dark black tall ships were roaming the seven seas, drifting silently through the endless fog, spreading horror and despair! If I ever grow up I wanna be a pirate! Got myself a license plate today - have a look!

post-14670-0-62687300-1410490626_thumb.jpg

post-14670-0-27721300-1410490637_thumb.jpg

post-14670-0-42337000-1410490644_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

You certainly have accomplished a lot in such a short time... it's looking real good. ... have fun!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TWISTED TALES OF THREE UNICORNS . . .

The H.M.S Unicorn was designed by F.H.Chapman for the British fleet. As a member of the Swedish Royal Academy of Sciences, in his admirable volume “Architectura Navalis Mercatoria” printed in Stockholm in 1768, he gives an extremely detailed account of the calculations relating to the study of hydrodynamic resistances - altogether with a most beautiful drawing of the elegant frigate. The results of Chapman’s hydrodynamic investigations are clearly visible in the sleek lines of the hull, which were quite advanced for the epoch in which the ship was built. The Unicorn was definitely designed for speed and maneuvrability as well as superior fire power - one of the most dangerous tall ships of its time!

The H.M.S. Unicorn was built at Chatham Dockyard in Kent, and was finally launched in 1794 to keep the French at bay, but was unfortunately snatched by the clever enemy not even a year later in the early revolution war - with no survivors recorded. The French seemed to be happy with their fine catch, stocked the ship up with a second cannon deck, a rather pompous golden after castle, and they proudly renamed her as “La Licorne”! As we all know from Hergé and Spielberg was that the English pirate Rackham the Red was more than eager to get his hands on that improved war horse - and that Monsieur Captain de Hadoque rather blew his unique ship up than to relinquish it to the bloody pirate. Hadoque escaped in his launch and is recorded as the only survivor of the fiery battle. That was the Golden Unicorn . . .

But the stubborn Brits were grumpy, and they never give up! Immediately they started the construction of a new Unicorn, which was launched in 1812. She was well underway, until she got in trouble with the pirates of the Caribbean - only to be saved by the cunning Spaniards, who threw all souls over board. They were in a desperate need for fast and lethal carriers to ship the shiny Inca gold to their greedy King. They painted the frigate black and blood-red to deter further pirate attacks, and they renamed her in their tongue “Unicornio Negro” - the Black Unicorn! Sadly a furious storm on the way home with a heavily over-loaded hull knocked off the rudder and ripped the sails - she was blown past Ireland, half way up to Newfoundland, must have hit an iceberg and sank with man and mouse about 1840 in the freezing waters of the arctic seas near Bear Island . . .

But the Brits won’t ever give up: The third one - the White Unicorn - was launched in 1824. She was built with lighter timber and fitted with a rounded stern. Historically she left no big tales of outstanding battles or important missions which so often mark the career of a tall man-of-war. The Unicorn is now preserved as a historic ship and visitor attraction in Dundee, Scotland - without masts and rigging, but a rather ridiculous roof!  But she is one of the six oldest ships in the world, is Scotland’s only preserved warship and is the most completely original ship in the entire world to have survived from the golden age of sail!

Clive Cussler tells us that the American salvage company of Dirk Pitt scanned the waters off Spitzbergen in 1991 for a sunken Viking boat recorded full of silver and copper, but the tireless engineer Al Giordino spotted the Black Unicorn on the radar screen instantly - only two hundred feet under on a mud bank. She was floated with huge airbags, the hull was perfectly preserved by the icy water and all thirty-seven sailors were still looking like alive. The tons of pure gold and precious gem stones in her belly paid fully for the restoration - to fit her out as a modern pirate ship for apprentices and whale watchers, with amenities, a spacious dining room and sixteen comfortable cabins on the lower deck . . .

Edited by ameletters

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ich cha schwarze Hemp-Fade chauffe z' Australie - isch zwar doppled so dick aber das chan ja nur hälfe - so hoffi wenigschtens, Schnu!

Please... this is an English Language forum.  If you need to, use Google Translate.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It`s nice to see someone who knows Swiss German on this forum :D . I am not sure if it is a good Idea to buy it if it is thicker. It might become a problem with the rigging blocks. But you might find rigging line on the internet. I believe that chuck sells rigging rope on his company website.

http://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/miniature-rope.php

By the way how did you end up on the other side of the world?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...