"The Seventy Four Gun Ship" by Boudriot and the L'Entreprenant

The French 74 L'Entreprenant (launched 1751 at Brest) was destroyed during Siege of Louisbourg (1758). Would "The Seventy Four Gun Ship" by Boudriot be useful for modelling her? I ask because I am dispersing a large collection of maritime history and ship modelling books from the estate of an acquaintance. The first three volumes of Boudriot's series are part of the collection. I am not very knowledgeable about this period and can't really tell weather Boudriot's books cover all French 74s or just a subset from a particular period. Building the L'Entreprenant would be a project for the distant future but there is little sense in my selling the books if they might be useful to me at some point.

Thanks

Brian

Brian

Hi Brian.  "The Seventy Four Gun Ship" is a wonderful series, and I would imagine that it would shed a lot of light on your subject.  However, Boudriot, in his forward to volume 1, he states that the series is a window into the French 74 circa 1780.  Undoubtedly, L'Entreprenant would have been slightly different in design and construction being built nearly three decades prior.

Thanks Jason,

That's exactly the type of answer I'm looking for. I have some very specific projects in mind for the future and will only keep those books that fit the program. If I'm not carful I'll wind-up with 300 books I don't really need!  They are beautiful but perhaps Boudriot's books should go in the sell pile.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian

Hey Brian,

If you decide to sell those volumes of the 74 gun ship, l'd interested. PM me what you have avaible :).

Sincere Regards,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

• 3 weeks later...

If I had ANY of the series of these books I would not part with them. They are rather expensive and difficult to come by and these attributes are matched with spectacular comprehensive content that is beautiful. Its on my list of "if I ever win the lottery" things I would buy for myself if price was no object, in fact they would be near the top of the list.

Niagara USS Constitution 

If I had ANY of the series of these books I would not part with them. They are rather expensive and difficult to come by and these attributes are matched with spectacular comprehensive content that is beautiful. Its on my list of "if I ever win the lottery" things I would buy for myself if price was no object, in fact they would be near the top of the list.

I agree 100%; they are beautiful books.  I acquired them as part of maritime library from the estate of an acquaintance. There are about 200 books in boxes covering the floor of my tiny office.  As I've catalogued them I've learned (mostly from MSW) that many are rare or desirable.  This makes it hard for me to part with them.   But when I agreed to take the collection I made a promise to myself only to keep what was truly going to be useful to me. Given the number of projects I have planned or underway across all my hobbies I will never get to build a 74 of the type described in Boudriot's wonderful books. So I will probably sell it along with at least 80% of the rest of the collection.  Once I've finished sorting them I will give my model ship club first dibs and then I will bring them here.

Regards,

Brian

Brian

Hey Brian,

If you decide to sell those volumes of the 74 gun ship, l'd interested. PM me what you have avaible :).

Sincere Regards,

Bill

The same here how about posting them.  I remember perusing some books by Boudrout  very nice but I was building anything like what they were describing so I did not buy them.  Bob Freidman from Seawatch LLC tried to get them translated in English but was informed that there would be no English versions for a long time.  My french is lousy and therefore I never bought any. 

David B

Brian, the Boudriot series of books on the French 74 is VERY useful and indispensable in building a 74 for the 1751 period.  I use these anytime I build an 18th C French warship (I am currently building one of 1785).  These were also very useful for my Soleil Royal of 1689.

i too am interested in buying some books when you are ready.

Duff

It seems that Volume 4 in English is the pricey one.... :(

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The Admiral bought me Volume 1 in an old book shop in Greenwich U.K. for £75.00 about 16 years ago.

The other 3 Volumes, I was lucky to buy from Amazon at a very good price over the years.

Regards

mij

xebec 1:60 scale, scratch build