Charley Noble is just one of the tricks sailors play on recruits.

Send them to the supply office to get a quart of relative bearing grease, 100 feet of water line, a spool of lubber's line, two dozen fuze quicks, a side buoy, three geedunks, a smoking lamp, four sheets, etc.

Find Davy Jones' locker, Iron Mike, the ship's bloomers, Ralph O'Rourke, Lee Helm, etc.

Or ask a new lookout if he sees a Gu11 (B1RD, etc.) off the port bow.

Ask: how to splice the main brace (or when), what do you weigh with a Beaufort Scale?

A jewelry components company that I used to buy from had a sale on tape measures for 25 cents each.  I bought a bunch of them and we put one in each room of the house.  After a while they would all end up in the same room and we would have to redistribute them again!

no_photo.png

To be honest, I first didn't get the 'van Gogh' jokes, as in Germany we are used to pronounce it the Dutch way, with a soft guttural ch: vɑŋ ˈɣɔx/

While we pronounce Gogh correctly there are lots of mispronounciations of Breughel around, which should be with the sound in the middle. The problem for English speakers is that there no such sound in their language I think.

6 hours ago, NRG OFFICE MANAGER said:

A jewelry components company that I used to buy from had a sale on tape measures for 25 cents each.  I bought a bunch of them and we put one in each room of the house.  After a while they would all end up in the same room and we would have to redistribute them again!

no_photo.png

I never knew that tape measures were social creatures and gathered in herds but it seems to be true.  LOL.

9 hours ago, NRG OFFICE MANAGER said:

no_photo.png

Tape measures are actually a product from another dimension but have the ability to appear in any dimension for a time being.... very allusive creatures they are.

4 hours ago, wefalck said:

The problem for English speakers is that there no such sound in their language I think.

Correct. It takes a bit of work for English speakers to achieve the sound when learning another language, even though many do have it (German, Dutch, even Greek has a form of it) - Scottish "loch" has a similar sound, but they usually say it as "lock".

I remember my son was in a choir and they learnt to sing "Silent Night" in the original German - I think German speakers will understand when I say the the choirmaster stressed that they shouldn't pronounce "nacht" as "nackt"*

*"naked"

Steven

Cough doesn't work I think, because it is an 'f'. Steven is closer with 'loch' as the English would pronounce it, rather than the Scots.

In German we don't have this sound deep down in the throat either, but something close, pronouced a bit higher up. However, the Dutch and Swiss Germans are notorious for it. It sound a bit to us, as if they were choking on their language.

I found a way around the nine month rule for Kids #4 and 5.

I have come to the conclusion that the ONLY possibly effective form of birth control is to lock all of the doors, don't answer the phone, turn out the lights, and to move without leaving a forwarding address! Even that is only probably 95% effective! 

We are 72 years old and our youngest turns 14 today.:stunned: