Charles W Morgan Whaleboat by Salty Sea Dog - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:25 - POF - first wooden boat build - SMALL

Hello Buck,

I glued the ropes with this cement. It is transparent, gets dry about 10-15 minutes, lets me manipulate, does not change the color of the robe, does not concrete the robe as CA, let the robe be flexible and is removed very easily after getting dry... Ideal for rigging... There is more than enough... :)

I am putting a very small drop on the thick rope and encircling the thinner rope onto the glue and around the thick one. If you leave the rope at the middle of the work, the spiral does not loose, get glued around the thick rope.

BTW, I have seen Robbyn's suggestion for the trunk of the masts. But I found that idea very interesting and wisely for rigging ropes. Thank you Robbyn.

post-2145-0-57072300-1370498008.jpg

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Thanks for the encouragement Matti! It gives me a needed boost while I'm venturing into this new territory of rigging. 

Hi Ferit. I found that glue here at the Michael's store. I think they have changed the packaging, but it appears to be the same glue. Does your actual tube of glue look like this? By the way, nice crow's nest with the bent wood! You have serious skills!!

post-218-0-97565100-1370544877_thumb.jpg

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

13) Finishing the Finish:

Now that the centerboard slot was cut, the hull's finish could be finalized. I had done one last sanding and French polish session just before making the slot. After the slot was completed, the last padding sessions were done using alcohol only. This clears the finish and adds more gloss. The trick at this stage is using a pad that is barely damp - too wet with alcohol and you would just be wiping the shellac off. It is also important not to rub in one spot to long for the same reason. To get the perfect barely damp alcohol pad, place the alcohol pad in your pad jar on top of your regular shellac pads and drizzle a little alcohol on top. Seal the jar up and let it sit for about 30 minutes. The alcohol seeps through the top pad but the trapped fumes keep it damp.

post-218-0-35875500-1370574355_thumb.jpg

This is how it looked after the alcohol rub downs.

post-218-0-83053900-1370574427_thumb.jpg

After several days, the finish was rubbed out with a fine swirl removing polish. This really brought the gloss up. I will do one more rubbing out in a few more days. Here's how it looked in daylight after the first polish rub. The honeysuckle smells really good!

post-218-0-61098000-1370574389_thumb.jpg

Here's the polish I used. It's Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #9 which you can get at some auto parts stores or at automotive paint supply shops. You can also use something like Novus plastic polish and get similar results.

post-218-0-26005800-1370574373_thumb.jpg

Any of these pics can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Best wishes,

Edited by Salty Sea Dog

-Buck

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

That finish is a pleasure to behold. 

I had the chance once to stay outside Copenhagen on a work related trip.  The city was so full for some event, I wound up some 50Km from town in a nice quiet inn by the water.  Having seen some Fallow Deer in the area, I got out at sunup to explore a bit before hitting the factory.  Deer there were.  But I eventually wound up down at the waterfront.  I was stunned by the boats in the small harbor.  A variety of fishing and work boats.  But they had one thing in common.  They were all wooden craft and some of them.......well actually most of them....had a finish as if you had just polished them.  Unforgettable.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Augie! The nicely varnished wood was one of the things that really attracted me to traditional Dutch boats. Seeing a harbor full of similar Danish boats must have been a treat.

Keith - Those T/As were pretty hot in the day. Fast and cornered nicely! 

Thanks Matti. I've flipped the boat over so I can finish up the interior details now. The end is in sight. Woo hoo! wings.gif

-Buck

Buck,

That finish is beyond incredible.  I salute a master....post-76-0-39983600-1370750964.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Buck,

It's the weekend, let's both have one.    :cheers:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks David and Carl!

The weather has been pretty nice lately and I've been out riding my motorcycle. ricky.gif But I have made a little progress with the boat. The steering oar brace was fitted with chafe mats  and a 'leather' wrapped strop. The mats were made by wrapping sewing thread around the wood and the strop was made from cloth insulated wire that was stained and shellacked to give a leather look. The strop was terminated with a figure 8 stopper knot. The super macro shots are kind of cruel! (so don't click to enlarge the pics, OK?!! lol8.gif) guess I need to try to get some of the fuzz off.

post-218-0-08977800-1371178868_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-90054300-1371178859_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-27402300-1371178845_thumb.jpg

Some leather was scraped really thin and used to line the clumsy cleat in the thigh board.

post-218-0-03381500-1371178854_thumb.jpg

Best wishes,

Edited by Salty Sea Dog

-Buck

I really need to ask MSW to add a love button for your posts!

I always thought making a boat will be easier until I read your build log :) really like the way you finish the hull, and thanks for sharing out! 

cheers!

Visit My Blog! 

http://malaysiamodelship.blogspot.com/

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

Sorry to disappoint you, but I can't find anything clumsy about your build ... Should get myself a motorcycle for some major touring (will prpbably have to wait)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Buck, I am impressed as usual. I cannot believe the amount of detail you have added to this build, it is truly a beautiful work of art.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

ZyXus - Thank you for the awesome comments! I have been reading your blog (not finished yet) and your stern lantern is incredible! The way you 'decorated' the bulb to look like a lantern is genius! Really cool! clap.gif Thanks for visiting my build.

Ferit- Thanks for the kind words. They really mean a lot coming from a master of detail like you! I'm going back to your build to study your barrels.

Matti- Thanks for the great comment. Just don't click to enlarge the pics - step away from your mouse sir! lol8.gif To put a size to it, the steering oar brace is 10mm long horizontally and the leather lining is 6.5mm wide at the widest outer points.

Keith - The Golden Hind has been getting a lot of attention with me checking out her plans and handling her parts. ..wait that sounds a little pervy...anyway she is happy! :D

Carl - Thanks for the kind words! Just stay away from that mouse clicker to enlarge the pics! I think I will try to carefully burn the fuzz off the oar brace with a soldering iron. You should get a motorcycle! Riding in Europe would be amazing!

Wayne - Thank you for your nice words! If I could learn how to get really small, it would be easier! So were you able to get the house in Maine with the view and the great drydock/sewing loft?

Robbyn - Thanks for your awesome comments.They are much appreciated. Have you made headway on the enclosed porch drydock?

-Buck

Buck,

I'm beginning to think that riding a motorcycle has a hand in adding details..... :)  Not sure what the Admiral would say if I came home with one... "Hi dear, I bought a new tool to help me make ship models.  It's a Harley!". 

Great work.  I'm fond of alternate materials when needed and you did a bang up job.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Robbyn - Thanks for your awesome comments.They are much appreciated. Have you made headway on the enclosed porch drydock?

Buck, not a single thing has been done on the drydock as yet. The last two weeks have been spent creating and building an area for the dogs. We have 4 and the cost of kenneling them when we leave is astronomical. So, the really nice metal shed (old dog house) that I originally thought would make a nice shop, has been purposed back to its original purpose. Spent 8 days, just cleaning it out, sanitizing and scrubbing the concrete floor, insulating the walls and ceiling, and lining the whole thing interior with plywood. Then we cut a hole in the side for doggy access, cleaned out the wood stove inside, and put in a new window air conditioner and wired it all up.

Then we put up a fence, giving the dogs a large 50x30 play area, complete with a huge old tree to provide shade at all hours of the day, put in a plastic kiddie pool, so they can submerse themselves and cool down. So now they all have their own large, heated and cooled house to hold their individual kennels and blankies, and a huge front yard to run and play...and do their business in, complete with toys and a pool.

I think that was the last major outdoor project for the year, so hopefully now we can begin on the front porch/drydock!

Buck,

I'm beginning to think that riding a motorcycle has a hand in adding details..... :)  Not sure what the Admiral would say if I came home with one... "Hi dear, I bought a new tool to help me make ship models.  It's a Harley!". 

Mark, I really believe there is an advantage from riding a bike (motorized one). Riders have to be constantly on alert and extremely observant. High speeds and other unobservant drivers, or wild critters spell disaster to riders and passengers alike who have nothing to protect them.

Plus, a ride on a bike opens your senses to so much more, than a ride in a car.

I have always loved driving through the mountains, love the sights and smells and sounds...then I RODE through the mountains...the difference was amazing.

My advice, go buy that new tool...it doesn't have to be a Harley...but, if you want the Admiral happy, make sure it is a touring model of whatever manufacturer you choose...buy one that is designed for the passengers comfort and she can't complain :D

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Robbyn,

I did my share in my younger days...  :)   And I think the Admiral would have a cow if I brought one home.  She's known more than her share of people who got mangled or killed on one.   There's some other issues, but that's the big one. 

You're right about the senses... not just sight and sound but smell... We have a tandem bicycle that used to ride up until a couple of years ago.   In the hills and mountains out here, there are sights and smells and sounds you never experience in a car.  Especially the smells.

I'm going to give Buck his build log back... :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Robbyn,

That sounds like quite the project on the dogs' luxury hotel! We have 3 dogs and it's cheaper for us to take them with us and rent a cabin in Colorado than board them and stay for free with my folks. So when you go out of town, does someone come over to feed them and give them water, or did you work out an automatic feeding and watering system too?

Mark,

I always feel like the long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs when I ride my motorcycle in traffic. It seems every 3rd person is on their phone or checking emails and texting these days. The type of riding I like is on back roads, paved or dirt, where there is hardly anyone else.

post-218-0-41172400-1371398957_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-57725400-1371398962_thumb.jpg

There are a quite a few "adventure" bikes these days that are designed for the open road and off road. Around where you live, I would go nuts! You have the mountains, the coast and those amazing redwoods not too far away. Of course you would want to make sure that it was a fast bike because of all those bigfoots lurking in the woods where you are! lol8.gif

-Buck

Hey Buck ----- get that bike out of the river.......I'm fishin' over here :D  :D :D  

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Buck beautiful job on the boat!

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.