San Francisco 2 by Shaz - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Wood

Sjors, nope, no gaps this time...I really am happy with that! And you know I believe I have a pair of those gloves out in my old tackle box....think it might be a good idea to go dig them out, thanks for the suggestion!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Hey Robbyn, looking good! I see you decided to stain your rubbing strakes ebony :) that seems to be the popular option. I'm glad to see you are back in full swing again.

Aaron

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” - Augustine

Current Build:

Artesania Latina San Francisco II 1:90 Scale

On the Shelf:

Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop 1:48 Scale

Very nice! :)

Good to see you're finally back on track after... What is the count now? One redone paint job, a gunport error and a misguided attempt to amputate a finger? :P

May Murphy leave you alone to finish your build in peace!

Andy

Andy, from your fingers to Murphy's ears :D  I m hoping today and tomorrow I can actually make some new progress instead of redoing previous work. But I do have to admit, all the practice is making me better!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Sam, just planning on a satin clear coat of poly for the top coat. I would really like to put it on now, but I have been told if I do then I will have trouble getting everything else to stick to it well. So, I will wait and do the finish coat once everything is attached to the hull. And I believe you are right about the minwax red mahogany....it has some serious issues at least as it applies to ships

Randy, I m thinking next time I might just try the tung oil. I like the idea of letting the natural wood come through, I just worry that I wont be able to get glue to stick to it at all.

Russ, that thin veneer is both a blessing and a curse that is for sure. I do like how it is easier to bend and fit along the curve of the hull, but it splinters and peels so easily on the raw ends...Seems I am constantly losing little chips and bits off the end pieces. I need to find a way to prevent that from happening!!!

Robert, thanks for the link to your build, I will most eagerly go look through it!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Good to see you back building again Robbyn, nice work on the hull planking.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I prefer a natural finish almost all the time and a good tung oil really brings out the colors and depth of fine hardwoods like mahogany. Tung oil also absorbs into the wood rather than surface coat so as long as it doesn't contain polyurethane or some other top coat additive the wood fibers are still available for gluing. I wouldn't want to use it before major work but for stuff like cannon doors and such it should work fine. I haven't yet but I plan on testing that theory long before it becomes an issue, i.e. finish a few pieces of scrap and glue them together. We'll find out then. :)

Andy, from your fingers to Murphy's ears :D  I m hoping today and tomorrow I can actually make some new progress instead of redoing previous work. But I do have to admit, all the practice is making me better!

I'd agree - the practice has made your veneer planking fantastic!! Nice job!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

I am tickled pink by all the compliments....I have seen your own builds, so all I can say is thank you very much!!!

Today I began my own kit bashing, I have never been very happy with the die cast cabin doors provided in the kit, so I spent the day working on fashioning my own instead. I needed something to do while I wait for glue and stain to dry :P

First I started by cutting legths of left over basswood planking strips, 2 for each door

post-127-0-61225300-1363484877.jpg

then I glued the edges of the strips together and clamped

post-127-0-74558100-1363484902.jpg

While the glue was drying I took some 25 guage brass wire

post-127-0-91692900-1363484911.jpg

And began flattening it with a hammer

post-127-0-11119400-1363484931.jpg

I cut these flattened bits to length

post-127-0-94302500-1363484959.jpg

I plan to work on these a bit more, but I want to use them to simulate the brass hinge plates on the doors.

post-127-0-44722700-1363485203.jpg

By now my wood doors were dry so I created my own fancy little jig to hold them so I could use a #5 chisel blade and "plane" them to the proper thickness.

post-127-0-97129100-1363485217.jpg

sanded the doors and used the kit-provided doors as a template

post-127-0-76930300-1363485226_thumb.jpg

Cut and sanded to shape

post-127-0-10827900-1363485236.jpg

Stained, and am now waiting for that to dry to continue

post-127-0-81809000-1363485246.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Nice doors, Robbyn.   Isn't dabbing in the "darkside" fun?  :rolleyes:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, ssshhhhhh 42 rocker will hear you, and he will be calling me again from the dark doorways of my imagination to come join him and all the rest of you there :D .

Still don't know how these will look or work out yet, but I pretty much dreamed what I came up with so far last night, hopefully tonight I will dream up the second part!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

The doors are looking good so far.

I like the idea simulating hinges. If the flattened wire does not work out, you can get very thin brass strip or sheet to make them. You can also use paper or tape painted black to simulate them. The hinges can be made from your wire.

Russ

Thanks Russ, the thought of paper or tape had not occurred to me. I was thinking everything needed to be brass colored. but black would be acceptable too, thank you so much for that idea!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

You can paint it with a brass color if you like. See what the crafts store has in artist's acrylics. They are usually 40-50 cents for a bottle that will last forever.

Russ

I actually went looking online at the photo etching stuff, decided that was too pricey for me, and not sure I really want to go that far. But I did find brass sheets at .005 thickness  4" x 10". 6 individually wrapped for only $15 including shipping. I think I will invest in those for the future, I think at that thickness I could cut through it easily with an exacto blade and form my own little parts. for now though, I think paper will suffice.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Robbyn:

You can cut that .005" thick sheet material with a pair of scissors. I do that all the time. That is how I make my strips for everything I need. However, I do not pay $15 a sheet. Check your local crafts store.

Russ

Ah, you have truly entered the ranks of the ship modeller, this is confirmed in two ways.

1 You were not happy with an aspect of the kit so you decided to make the parts yourself.

2 You are even dreaming of the solutions, good, the craft is well established in your mind. :D

Seriously though, well done, I think the new doors will look much better.

Hello Robbyn

I got my hinges for the doors made ​​of wood that works well.

20130113_120620.jpg

Note the doors of the kit is too low

20130113_115705.jpg

Sorry for my language my english is not very good.  :(

Robert

Current builds:
Prins Willem - Corel
H.M.S. Victory - Deagostini

Complete Project: San Fransisco II Artesania. / King of the Mississippi Artesania

Robbyn,

Nice start on the doors. There is something very satisfying about looking at a kit part and saying "I think I can do better" And yes, it seems to be contagious and addicting, watch out. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.

Sorry, the Star Wars geek in me just came out, I'll put him away now. 

I would agree with Russ, $15.00 is way too much for brass sheet. If the hobby and craft stores dont have it you can try the hardware stores they frequently have a K and S rack somewhere in the hardware section. 

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

$15 for 6 brass sheets 4x10...that is too much?

First attempt at paper hinge plates (not sure what the proper term is). Don't like it so I am still experimenting.

Did get my first rubbing strakes put on today....no pic yet as everything is taped up and drying. But at least this time I have them in the right place :D

post-127-0-16552800-1363568667.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Robbyn:

I thought it was for one sheet. Ooops.

On the hinges, try making each one in one piece. Curve over the corners of the "arrows". For the bolts, try a very small dab of CA on the end of a toothpick and see if that works. 

Russ

Here is my second attempt at the doors.....the poly is still wet, but I think I am getting closer

post-127-0-00496900-1363575648_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

That is quite good. The color on the plates is very nice. Good work.

Russ

Robbyn,

Those doors look pretty darned good. Hinges and all.  The hinges look like brass but they're paper????

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)