Andrea Gail by Popeye the Sailor - 1:20 scale - Finished

I was going to do the second coat on the ice maker........but I saw a couple of spots I missed with the flat black.....so I touched them up.  I'll add the louvers and then I can do the second coat ;)  while I was thinking about this.......I remembered about the louvered blank that will fit in the hole of the pilot house.

darn thing........now where is it.......

post-612-0-89757200-1419874384.jpg

so......this is where the guys have been stowing all the junk!   they gotta get this crap out of here......we gotta work in here soon!

post-612-0-04317700-1419874483.jpg

watching them haul all that crap out,  I didn't see the blank.   they didn't know where it was either,  but there was a hint,  that it may have been thrown in 'the pile'.   NO.........not the PILE!!!

post-612-0-32272300-1419874955.jpg

I will never find it now!  I keep all the larger pieces of flat stock in this bag...if it fits,  it's in here.   I have a bin as well,  that I keep wood in.......but it's looking so picked over,  only small bits and pieces are left.

there's even wood that dates all the way back to the Nordkap.   with a sigh,  I just took a suitable piece and cut it to size.   there was more cutting done with the 5/8 dowel too........I need at least 13 fuel drums.

post-612-0-38933500-1419875429.jpg

I don't have a way to cut them square,  so some of them are a bit off.   when I cement on the top and bottoms,  I'll try to do something creative to compensate.  taking some of the larger pieces of cast off,  more circles were traced

post-612-0-44175700-1419875599.jpg

they were trimmed to the smaller component and separated.  they will be trimmed to shape with a razor blade.

post-612-0-29368100-1419875705.jpg

post-612-0-30446000-1419875722.jpg

post-612-0-37396900-1419875742.jpg

the ends of the dowel pieces were sanded to counter some of the unevenness.   the first idea I had was to use the vise.......capturing them in the center to level them up

post-612-0-30475200-1419875843.jpg

the others that didn't look too bad were done in another way.......bent more towards mass production.

post-612-0-95561500-1419875910.jpg

there are four under there........I may make some extra ones in the event that I find any rejects......but I may be able to use the slants of the decks to counter the ill effect.  we shall see ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

these are just a few of the drums........the book idea didn't do as well as I hoped.  it was abandoned and the vise became the method used.   those that weren't too bad,  I just cemented the tops and bottoms on and left it at that.    I'll make a few extra at any rate  ;)

post-612-0-67572800-1419876449.jpg

the blank was framed in and later trimmed.  it was fitted in place to check how it will look.

post-612-0-07331100-1419876533.jpg

post-612-0-15945100-1419876549.jpg

now that the junk has been removed from the pilot house,  I can do a bit of work in there.  the Billings plans shows a top and front......not much else.   I don't have any pictures that show the interior either....bummer!

post-612-0-25505600-1419876772.jpg

I've already resigned myself,  that the small windows are not going to allow much to be seen.   I could simply blank out the windows,  but that's not me.  ....no reason to short change the build on such a small technicality :)   so it begins with this top blank.........yea.......looks kinda big,  but I think we can make good use of the space. ;)    cut out a little here........put on a backing there..........

post-612-0-31911400-1419877916.jpg

.......do a little sanding to shape and round the edges............add extra material for where the ship's wheel goes.......drill a hole.......

post-612-0-80659600-1419878025.jpg

.......and it turns into a dandy of a dash :)

post-612-0-63349700-1419878117.jpg

post-612-0-38543800-1419878135.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Where are you planning to steam to with 13 fuel drums ....... Portugal?

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hmm kindling in zip lock bags.... not a bad idea. It is amazing what one can do with a few scraps of wood isn't it I like the last barrel press, I guess they were a weighty band.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

My you work fast all that stuff happened as i was composing my last few words. ;)

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

hi there Wayne!  usually as a rule,  I don't refrigerate my beer.   I do chill some for when company comes over,  but I keep mine in a cool part of the house.  I hope to put the finish on the ice maker soon  ;)    thanks for the good word!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

that appears to be how many drums of fuel she was carrying when she was lost,  Augie.   the Billings kit includes the parts for that many,  but it probably wouldn't matter if there are a few less  ;)

sorry for the frenzy Michael........this is a couple of days worth :)   with using the vise,  I am able to straighten the drum body between the top and bottom.  any gaps that appear can be filled with filler.   the center rib line is going to be the tricky part......I was going to use wire and filler,  but I might also try to use 1/32 square stock {soaked and pliable}   I'll have to see what will work.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking great Popeye, you're doing a very  fast and neat work on her, I've been absent for so long that I almost forgot just how fast you build your ships B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

The pilot house and console look jim dandy Popeye and so do the barrels. Oh, I'm sure you'll add the details to the barrels to make them look real, or close to real - - - knowing you ;) 

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Aldo.......my big problem is I think of them faster than I can build them.   to make matters worse........I act on them :D

thanks John........not so much as flattened wire....but I want to simulate the ribbings.  these are in essence 55 gal drums.

thanks Piet......I'm gonna try  ;)   as a matter of fact,  the first one is pretty much done.....except for a little touch up and the lettering on them.  I'll show you what they will look like  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

spent the morning here.......great way to enjoy a cup of coffee  ;)   then I figured I had better get busy with these fuel drums.......I have enough of them to do.   the Billing's kit supplies the parts for about 13 of these little buggers........I hope to make that many.

post-612-0-07476000-1419907933.jpg

post-612-0-26452700-1419907948.jpg

this is how they are assembled and the location on the model......actually,  you can put them wherever you want.   I do have a couple that are a bit uneven,  but I made some adjustment to them at the bottom and I'll simply blend them in somewhere where they can't be seen.   I'm doing hand sanding.......after a few I really can feel it.......so I took a break here and there.   I show you one of my break, later on.........

anyway,  I won't bore you with the sanding part......nor the wrapping of the copper wire {I forget what gauge it is},  to form the two rib bumps on the body,  and the raised ring at the top.

post-612-0-42297300-1419908710.jpg

I searched around......I knew I had them.......the package of punch outs from the AmericA build.  these are all the little cast off pieces  from the laser cut holes and stuff.......I never throw them away.

post-612-0-94379200-1419908826.jpg

these little baubles are just the thing to simulate instrument panels,  gauges,  knobs......you name it

{yup......that's my desk........got years of modeling miles on it  ;).......I need a new one}

sliced down to thin wafers.......they make the perfect bung holes.

post-612-0-37118900-1419909090.jpg

the lettering on these drums is just....  A.G. {looking at the plans}  I looked up some 55 gal drums online,   and since I plan to make decals for them,  I might even try getting some logos,  which is a good indication that some will be done in different colors.   barring touch ups,  this is what one of them looks like.

post-612-0-80624100-1419909371.jpg

post-612-0-82586500-1419909388.jpg

11 or so more to go..........:)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

on one of my breaks.....I jumped back on railing detail.   I figured out a neat way to space the stanchions,  although it caused me to use 9 per side instead of 8,  like I originally figured.   I marked where the holes were to be drilled.....and it was done

post-612-0-48996900-1419910051.jpg

the port side was done first

post-612-0-88286700-1419910139.jpg

then the starboard side....

post-612-0-38300000-1419910183.jpg

these are not fastened together yet.....I usually use CA to do it.   the top rail at the bow is to be bent down and will disappear under the cap.

post-612-0-21097600-1419910340.jpg

I did a dry fit with the pilot house.   oh.......I also trimmed all the other railings and filed the ends flat.  they  are done,  but not cemented in place yet.

post-612-0-54543600-1419910461.jpg

post-612-0-10326700-1419910477.jpg

here is the fuel drum.......per the illustration

post-612-0-99529100-1419910528.jpg

now if I can just drill those darn port holes.......I'm hesitant......I don't want to screw up now!!!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

After all you've done you're worried about portholes?  Start with a small hole and make it ever bigger !

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Denis that's  super nice!!..... sweet job on the oil drums as with everything else. This is a really nice looking build ( as always).

Love the desk :P .... mine is getting there!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Denis that's  super nice!!..... sweet job on the oil drums as with everything else. This is a really nice looking build ( as always).

Love the desk :P .... mine is getting there!!

Frank

Hi Dennis

She's looking really good!  I love the fuel drums and all the other details you're packing in.

Great build!

All the best

Patrick

The drum looks great, Popeye.  Everything else looks great also.   I've always loved the detailing you do on the pilot houses and this one looks like it will be wonderful as well.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm not online for one day and I have to read everything....

It cost me an hour !

But great progress Denis !!

Ice machine....oil drum.....railing....

I think you have vacation ????????

You really need to build the Agamemnon !

I think you bashed it so much that even Nelson don't recognized her anymore  :D  :D  :D

Admiral of Denis....give him the kit !!!!! please ??????

Sjors

she is coming together nicely Denis,

now if I can just drill those darn port holes.......I'm hesitant......I don't want to screw up now!!!

Masking tape my man, use masking tape to lay it out. and start with slightly smaller ones than your final.

Michael

a big thanks to every one of you.......and all who hit the like button!   never in my wildest dreams,  could I have imagined it coming out as well as it has.   I had a duh moment too.   after the railings were done...I had thought about getting some primer on the fore deck.   in thinking of this earlier,  I had drilled two holes where the trawl rig was to be,  so I wouldn't lose the location marks.  looking at it during the dry fit,  I picked up the section and set it in place.......it hit me.   drilling two holes in the base of the uprights,  I cemented in a couple of the stubby pieces of brass from the railings.   trimming them into tabs,  and stuck them in the holes I had drilled.......now why didn't I think of that in the first place?!?!

I know Augie......I just worry.  I just don't want to hit the bulkheads in there....I don't know where they are :o    I'll do it........I'll make a 'map gauge.....the tree boat isn't totally planked yet ;)

yes Frank.......you know,  my other work table used to be the admiral's desk.......it looks better than mine!   maybe I'll switch!

thanks Mark.......perhaps I should do some pilot house dioramas.....that would be an interesting change of pace  ;)

I relayed the message Sjors.........still on deaf ears :D  :D   I did get a ..."why don't you scratch build one!"   good idea if I had the parts panels.........CAD ain't my thing  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The devil is in the details Popeye, and I'd have to sell my soul to get the results you have. Those rails are fantastic and very precise.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

thanks Michael :)   I'll try anything......just as long as I don't hit a bulkhead,  or splinter around the hole.   I brought out the Tree Boat.....I'm going to map out the bulkheads and  make up a template.   thanks for the advice ;)

....and thanks to everyone again for your kind words and support!  :)

thanks Patrick.......more to come my friend!

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking great Popeye, very precise work on those railings :)

I'm with the others on the port holes, mate, lining up with tape or paper strip then using gradually increasing sizes of drill bits and finishing off with a diamond file should do the trick.

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Fantastic looking job Popeye, love the details.  Where did you pick up those railings and what scale are they?

When I do Gwen's father's ship "Musi" I'll need railings and fuel drums and other stuff.  That scale will be 1:50.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Aldo for the advice....still haven't done it yet.....but I will.  

thanks Piet........I hope to see a better alternative to making these fuel drums when you get 'round to it........this method is killing my fingers!  :D  :D   I have a couple of different sizes of railings in my inventory.   at 1:50,  I figured I'd take a look in the instructions for the Nordkap......it's the same scale.   of course,  the instructions I have are very old......the numbers have surely been changed. so I went on the Billings site and looked at the more recent ones.    they are 23 mm.......BF0-299....they come ten to the pack.  they do have other sizes and types.....you may want to look at the BB USA website.......it's still up,  and is run By Ages of Sails {Roger}

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

gee.......I don't see a warped sense of humor there John  :)   I went online looking at drums,  to see what colors different companies paint theirs.   it's the reason why I painted the first one in those colors.....no logo on it though.......no matter  ;)    I then thought it would be neat to get pictures of logos as well to dress up the drums a bit more........wicked.....wicked cool idea!

I need to install my decal program.....not sure if it will work on Vista.  if it doesn't,  I have another tower kicking around that still has XP..........I'll just get the images and put them on a flash drive.  one way or another,  I will have decals to dress them up.   I have to make the   A.G.  decals anyway,  as well as the decals for the vessel.

HA......HA John.........looks like your getting sucked into my delusion too!!!!!!   :)    na-nu........na-nu!

post-612-0-36318100-1420119529.jpeg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!!!!!  :)       the drums are all sanded........and intermittently,  I went to the table to break the monotony.   naturally,  this update will cove a couple of days,  so there is quite a bit to cover  :)

first.....the A.G.  with the brain storm I had after the railings were done.   this is how the trawl rig will sit behind the pilot house.

post-612-0-43118200-1420121244.jpg

post-612-0-74277400-1420121260.jpg

there is a platform that is to be located along the top bar.......I was scratching my head trying to get a better idea of how to vision it.......well....here it is  ;)    from the gangway up there,  two uprights are to come down and locate on the pilot house roof.  looking around for how this should look,  I stumbled on the diagram of the helm and instrument panel.  I figured I'd do it and show you what the Billing's offering  would look like.

post-612-0-32406800-1420121579.jpg

also pictured,  is a scaffold,  to be located on the starboard side,  near the overhang stanchion.   hard to believe,  but I have most of the parts to make it,  in my inventory.    back to the drums.......I have some in various stages of assembly.

post-612-0-44378200-1420121989.jpg

yea.....there's a couple that lean......still a bit more adjustment.......I'll hid them somehow  ;)  there is an instrument panel that will go on that dash......after a lot of sanding it was cemented in place.

post-612-0-48159800-1420122318.jpg

the first bracket was assembled to the scaffold

post-612-0-49031200-1420122368.jpg

the uprights were cut for the aft section of the trawl rig,  as well as the center shafts of the booms.

post-612-0-33372200-1420122476.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: