Andrea Gail by Popeye the Sailor - 1:20 scale - Finished

Nice work Popeye!  I like the way your mind works, real Yankee ingenuity  :dancetl6:

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Augie,  Carl,  Omega,  Appreciate the kind word!  :)

thanks Ed........I think its wonderful when admirals enjoy the medium as much as we do.   pleased to have you two following along  ;)

thank Piet.......when I found that the marks I made on the stern were wrong........I simply used them in the opposite fashion.  I used the scuppers as the line for the others :)   sad to think that I allowed that I let another inconsistency slip through,  but it doesn't affect the overall build......I'm really happy how it came out.   white glue and sanding........the most natural filler you can get ;)

I am very glad you chose to follow along......as I have mentioned a while ago,  I'm going to try and do as much as I can from scratch.  I hope that I can show you {and Nils as well}  that I at least learned........something  :)  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

OK........like Dr. Dafi,  I've gotten the urge to dystroy..........y.......because it's a dysfunctional thing.  the necromantic view of the rack and podium is wrong.   the appendage is in the wrong place........I will cut it off and reposition it.  HA.....Ha..to rip...to cut!   it's all good!   finding the right place......the deed was done.

post-612-0-99989300-1414161005.jpg

I was going to join the side support bars to the foredeck stanchion,  and negate the front uprights,  but after looking at the plans,  I see that they are there.......makes it all the better!  the podium floor was cut, fitted,  trimmed,  and filler was added around the uprights.

post-612-0-40889400-1414161453.jpg

in place on the deck puts it right where I want it.

post-612-0-35165600-1414161514.jpg

to get up there from the main deck,  it needs a ladder  {oh no......not again!}.  I had another idea for it that I wanted to try.   using the same idea as the staple ladder,   holes were drilled.....one side of the uprights will be longer than the other.   you can see that I'm using the improved method for drilling ;)  :)

post-612-0-53683700-1414161769.jpg

to scale down the rungs a bit more,  I did as I mentioned earlier......I used brass.

post-612-0-17436600-1414162068.jpg

after sanding the uprights to a rounded shape,  along with smoothing out the sides,  the ladder looked good enough to use  :)

post-612-0-54672900-1414162235.jpg

post-612-0-12062800-1414162365.jpg

in the Billing's plans,  the ladder does not touch the main deck.........I may also put some flooring on half of the lower level....it's a thought.......I think it would look better as well.   it was time to locate the rack back in place.   with it on the deck,  I was able to see the proper place.

post-612-0-26074400-1414162613.jpg

post-612-0-59112000-1414162632.jpg

I failed to take into account for the flooring.......there is a bit of a step up from the foredeck.  I think I will cut that bar and make an entrance for this side too......I can always add a small piece of square stock to clean it up......there are railings there already {in the plans}.  there is still a little more to add....then to clean up all the joints and get some paint on it.  I can deal with the foredeck later,  when the assembly is cemented in place.   this will happen,  after the hull gets painted.

post-612-0-21382500-1414164042.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I just dropped ... and hardly need that ladder for my roof climbing, it seems they are right scale ;)

Btw, it seems that some photos from begining of log went somewhere in cyberspace? Or it is just my stuppid smarrt phone

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

it might be your phone.....all the pictures are here.   the beginning to this build are over in the Holiday Harbor log........that where I made the decision to do it.   when it got too hot and heavy,  I created the log for it.  all the good stuff will happen here.  I appreciate your looking out for me  ;)

thanks to all who hit the like button  :)  wish I had more to report

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I was messing around on the table this evening......I thought I'd give you a peak at the dry fit of what the build is so far.

post-612-0-51489700-1414370437.jpg

one more work day to go......then I'm back at the table :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

well popeye u are wel on your way here looking great keep up the great work as aways

thanks Dragzz........appreciate the good word! :)

thanks Carl........the rack is for buoys......they have long poles.   there is still more to do to it.   I also need to get some larger dowel,  so I can make 55 gal drums....quite a few of them.  the big thing now is the hull paint......I need to drill some holes for portholes.   cap rails too!

still more to do........thank to all who hit the like button  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

thanks Lawrence.........man.......did I pull the biggest goof!   I posted a picture in the Holiday Harbor log

post-612-0-61966100-1415298997.jpg

...........with a 55 gal drum on the deck!   it's just a start.........when I got the thinner so I can paint,  I bought a length of 5/8 dowel.   looking at it though,  it might be a bit too big.

post-612-0-08996100-1415299143.jpg

I haven't done much else......I took another piece of dowel,  and cut some slices.  looking at them as well,  I have the feeling they might be too large,  for what I want to make from them.

post-612-0-53945000-1415299355.jpg

I'll continue with them though........with what I trying to make,  all of my circle templates are too small.

....more on this soon  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

So is she going to have the working ice machine also  :P

So how do you duplicate the drum barrel ridges,... hum...

this is gonna be like the lobster twins and the holiday ships like the M&M Fun Ship. Just what I wanted for the holidays... the work of a mad genius in overdrive for our viewing pleasure. Free entertainment and lessons on thinking outside and inside the box and even without a box.

Ignorance is Bliss, and watching and wondering the what and how of it is the most fun part :dancetl6:

there's no ignorance here Keith.......just jaw dropping beauty,  from what I see of some of the builds on this site  :)   yes,  there will be an ice machine.......don't know about the working part....I'm not that good  :)

for the drums.......a top and bottom will be made,  with brass rings for the segments.  once filler is added and sanded in the proper contour, I should arrive at a pretty convincing 55 gal drum.  I have quite a few to make.

I hope to have more on this and other sub assemblies soon........thanks for the extreme vote of confidence ;)

thanks also to those who hit the like button......glad your enjoying the build  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Not your ignorance...OURS.... :huh:

We are in the dark as to what ideas lurk in that spinach powered brain of yours. The not knowing (ignorance) is the best part of watching this type of build(bliss).

I love seeing just what your mind will come up with and how you will approach it.

With most kits we pretty much have an idea what step will be next.... but with a custom, the build becomes a real "who done it" mystery. Sometimes I think you've borrowed Mark's cloning equipment as otherwise how do you get so much done.

‘A real "who done it" mystery’ boat?  Don’t give him any ideas, Kieth.  He has enough already. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

your right Cap'n,
with all that spinach activation energy coursing through is veins...I can just see a Scooby Doo Mystery machine in the future if I'm not careful.

imagine this with a keel, instead of wheels.
Scooby-Doobey-DOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo

Seriously though, from re-watching the movie, the ice machine breaking caused them to stop and turn around. If this is historic, you wonder if they might still be alive if it hadn't stopped. It makes me curious, I may have to re-watch the movie as I can't remember if the ice machine was down before they lost radio contact.
Of course movies are poor for historic fact typically ...but it makes you think ... what if...

Every historic build has a story and I love when people engage that aspect, kind of like Dafi and the plate racks.

Thinking about the daily life aspect of any build is fun to imagine.

here is something else to tease the brain.   I had the painful pleasure to see the Robin William's Movie  'Popeye' last evening.  Popeye enters the movie in a dingy.........not that big of a model,  'tis true.   I enjoyed looking at the boats,  especially the one seen in the middle of the harbor........sunk :D    when Popeye finally finds his pappy {ray Walston}  {very good job in the look alike dept}......they give chase after Bluto in a paddle boat.   I tried to find pictures of this boat.........I even showed it to the admiral.  she just shook her head.......walking out of the room saying..........."good luck with that one!"  :D  :D  

post-612-0-94507200-1415379993.jpeg

this is the best I can find at the moment.   this is the boat where Pappy was held captive......that is,  after Bluto tied him up.

post-612-0-92522000-1415380193.jpeg

I'm not committing in doing a model of it.......not without further pictures and specs.  as far as specs go,  throw them out the window........and call it weathering :D  :D   if anyone has seen the movie,  you can agree that it would be an interesting build ;)

as for the movie of the Andrea Gail........the ice maker went down........they were going to turn around,  but then changed their minds.   it was first thought that the storm wouldn't hit as soon as it did,  or that they would be heading right into it.  they lost radio contact soon after the storm picked up momentum.

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

I was in and out most of the day today.   I did manage to do something with this today......hopefully more this evening.   circles........I think I found a suitable circle template to use :)

post-612-0-66157800-1416611040.jpg

this template comes from the Mary Ann......I forget what purpose they served in the build.  I like to keep some of these shapes.    you never know when they will come in handy.  

post-612-0-19004400-1416611671.jpg

then there are the port and starboard cap rails.   they need to be trimmed and shaped to fit the bulwarks,  and then a transom rail can be fitted.  there are two portholes that will be located in the hull for the bow cabin below the fore deck,  that I still need to drill.  with these two obstacles out of the way,   then maybe I can get on with the pain of masking this bad girl,  and do some paint  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I like the new avatar.  That’s the Popeye we all know and love.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

How can I missed this one........

It's amazing what you are doing Popeye.

I have difficulties with a kit and you are just playing around with scratch......

If it cost you know problems !

Great Andrea Gail !!!!!

Sjors

hello popeye u doing vary well on it now keep up the great work .ps iam doing fine on mine took a bit of a breake on it will get back it real soon

Edited by dragzz

thanks to all for the kind comments and the likes....commented earlier,  but I guess I forgot to hit the post button.   I should have an update soon ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

circles......all I see....are circles.   time to get 'round to show you what I'm going to do with them.  I stacked them in a bunch and sanded them.......as round as my eye could see.  I even laid them back into the template.....to see how round they are.   I put a set of  cross hairs on the template,  so I could factor in the centers.

post-612-0-50601400-1417059023.jpg

post-612-0-17632400-1417059036.jpg

I bought these a short time ago......I thought they looked cool.   there is a larger set in the dept where I got them.   some of those would be suitable to use as ship's wheels.   you can buy the parts to make a plaque of a wall clock.....must really be cool when your done with it.    I thought I'd try them out to see what it would look like.

post-612-0-87334700-1417059943.jpg

the other side,  I'm going to do as the kit says to do

post-612-0-54539700-1417060080.jpg

I was surprised to see that the larger gears are the same size as the bigger circles.   they fit quite well.

post-612-0-64508800-1417060150.jpg

....and then with the other side of the reel sanded and ready.....both sides look like this

post-612-0-60690400-1417060212.jpg

I did this on tuesday.......in between making the last preparations for our first snow storm.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Can't wait to see where this is going, mate!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

today,  I put all these bit and pieces I've been playing with....in the works.   I made up the first bracket,  with the feeling I didn't put enough spread on the legs.

post-612-0-54623600-1417060698.jpg

thinking that way.....I made a few more,  but with a wider spread.  I made a matching one.....I'll use it as a test build.  still not sure about the gear thing.....that's why I made two of the other side.

post-612-0-46859700-1417060781.jpg

I sanded them a bit more using my white glue and sawdust method for blending in the joint lines.   the reel was assembled at this time.

post-612-0-25752800-1417061127.jpg

the parts were then dry fitted together and set on the fore deck,  behind the pilot house.  one is to go here,  and three more are to go along the transom.   it looks a bit off......it's not cemented together,  it's my only excuse.  it might be good to trim the height down as well.

post-612-0-01552000-1417061371.jpg

post-612-0-62565000-1417061384.jpg

post-612-0-89939700-1417061402.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I like it!!!!   Great idea on the gears.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Seems that gears are in the air today, nice work Denis.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

thanks Augie......hope you enjoyed how this came out.   once they're adjusted,  painted and assembled,  they'll look better

thanks Mark.......I thought they would give a nice touch.   I think it would be even cooler to show the mechanism,  required in which they operate......of course,  kits show nothing.   I'm going to look around and see if I can get an idea on this.   don't think I can top how Kees does it,  but it's worth a try  ;)

thanks Michael.....gears.....you ain't kidding.   looking at what your doing right now,  makes my head spin.   with all the figuring,  fidgeting,  and frustration we go through,  it's what we see on the other end that makes us smile.  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: