Andrea Gail by Popeye the Sailor - 1:20 scale - Finished

Now, that's a REAL working fishing vessel - one of the things still missing is - - - the crew  ;)   You could also hide some cotton dabbed in Thai fish sauce - - - - -that'll add a realistic fishy smell to it.  No, kidding of course.

She looks really great Popeye, well done.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks for the good word every one......didn't get a lot done today,  but the two last kit aspects are in the works.  then it will be just a few minor things to add,  and that will finish the build.  sure bet it won't be this week........if I keep getting pulled away  :(

you got it Jack.......you should have seen the look on the mail person's face when I showed him what it was.  it was even double boxed.  how I made the drums is back a ways in the log.......dowel cut to size,  with copper {I'll die if was the real stuff} rings glued on.

thanks Mark.......as mentioned,  it's a lot of color,  but it's better than the bland drums they show you in the instructions ;)

thanks Marty  :)

I'm glad your kidding Piet.......the admiral would never let it stay in the house!  :D  :D    I'm working on the other thing......can't say right now......I'm waiting.

cryptic I know........but that's me to a 'T'  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thank you for the kind word Kees..........having to drag my feet a bit.  but it's not all that bad.......when I get back to the table,  the last bits should move rather quickly.   that's a good question.......between the Holiday build and the A.G. build,  I used up most of my wood supply.   hated to do it,  but I robbed some parts from the two fishing vessels as well........I can do some stuff on them,  but their liable to stall until I can replenish.  I really haven't thought much beyond the negatives.  instead of bee - bopp'in off somewhere.......I'll let cha know.    ohhhh,  but if I could do what I really wanted to do.........>devilish grin<

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

this past week was a bit of a let down.........I thought I would have made more progress than this.  I'm beginning to thing these last bits......are going to be like pulling teeth .....OUCH!

well......I did get the beads for the net floats.....

post-612-0-38332700-1431220119.jpg

the other aspect I want to add was laid out as well.  I decided on three of them

post-612-0-61038000-1431220193.jpg

the beads were selected....these by the way,  are wooden beads.   I didn't want metal ones, or any with a metallic finish.  the paint wouldn't stick well ........I think.  augment pattern and color...should be good.

post-612-0-04245600-1431220377.jpg

those tidbits on the table........they're nothing......they meant nothing to me!  :D  :D     {just more sick ideas}.   there's a thing about the life preservers....I learned this early,  from a gentleman here,  whom I have come to look up to as a mentor.  I have met others,  who {in the past} have given me some very neat ideas.   I keep them in my mental book,  ready to use when the need arises.   those plastic ropes.......they gotta go!

post-612-0-74901600-1431220892.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Dennis

It's always the last few details that seem to take the longest; at least that's how it is for me.

As for the life preservers, I agree with you about removing the ropes. I always thought they looked unrealistic, to be honest. What/how are you replacing them?

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

I have to laugh..........I love the way that hemp thread spills from one picture to the other.........that wasn't planned,  I assure you!  :D :D     no sooner get to the table..........and then another distraction.........I can't even get a thought in edgewise!

in the middle of painting the preservers...........oh.....we gotta go to the store.  never tell them that the store is temperature controlled,  and things will keep..........she learned her mother's  'death stare' quite well........

post-612-0-90906200-1431221341.jpg

during another stint at the table,  I managed to make the 'hanger' pegs for the preservers.  one will be on each side of the pilot house.........

post-612-0-50758300-1431221465.jpg

......and the third one will be on the main deck...

post-612-0-44269100-1431221497.jpg

I had taken a length of Billing's thread and wiped it down with some tan paint.........that will keep the 'fuzzies' at bay.   the beads were threaded on and cemented in place.   there's still more to do with this........it may appear long,  but it will be cut into sections later on.    I had to paint up more beads for this to finish the pattern.   I may need to redo it though......they look a bit too large, now that they are all together in a row.  I will see better,   when I can dry fit it.

post-612-0-98899200-1431221811.jpg

the preservers are still a work in progress too.

post-612-0-11097900-1431221852.jpg

more to come soon.........work has now become my present interruption.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

It's a pleasure to watch an artist at work Dennis. And "just more sick ideas"? Almost all great ideas start with a bunch of bad ones at first.  ;)

Edit: Whenever you get the "stare", all you can do at that point is give in. Anything else is futile!  :D

Cheers

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

thanks Patrick..........goes back when I did my first build.   I was going to used them.....had 'em painted and everything.  the suggestion was to replace them with real rope {thread}.   done it this way ever since ;)

your too kind George.........ideas and over imagination..............almost as bad as giving an infant a chocolate cookie :D  :D

{my mother {god rest her soul}......never forgave me for that}  ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

G'day Denis

I agree about the rope around the life preserver, its looks so fake. Love the tiny hooks you made, I've have to look twice to see them, they are so tiny!

There's must be something else you can add to keep your AG log going! I'm going to miss your updates.

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

My own take on the life preservers: The life rings that we put on the boats I've been involved with as a designer, we've used rings that have a line that attaches it to a flashing beacon. Not to add to the list of 'last little details' though :). Attached is a picture of the beacon I'm talking about.

post-17514-0-68739900-1431231438.jpg

Since we are talking safety equipment, another little detail that would add some realism, and that would add authenticity to the boat you're building in particular, would be an EPIRB unit - they found the A.G.'s washed ashore on Sable Island (switched off).

post-17514-0-09785100-1431231445.jpg 

But, even without these details, the boat looks excellent. She's nearly ready to head out to the Grand Banks!

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Hi Popeye,

I'm trying to catch up with your build. My first statement is WOW, I'm impressed! The detail is amazing/  It will take me a few days but I'll catch up eventually. 

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

thanks for the kind comments.......I had to skid-daddle off to work,  so no time to comment ;)  

thanks John........getting them to look better is fine with me  ;)    I'll have to take the advanced 'droopy' class.

thanks Patrick......since John suggested this to me......I don't recall a single build,  where I didn't do it.  sadly....all builds eventually come to an end.  there will be another one to take it's place....one I've already started......or even something new.   I'll do my best to make it just as interesting  ;)  :)

Ben......thanks for the info.   it probably could be done,  if it was a larger scale.   I'm only going to add a bit more,  and this build will be finished.  I do appreciate the suggestion though.

take your time Larry......thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

If that's all you can come up with Denis I don't why you bothered in the first place. :D  :D :D  :D  :D  :D  

Seriously mate it just gets better and better, you fully deserve each and every plaudit.

Gonna stop now before I go all mushy.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thanks Mobbsie...appreciate the kind word  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hello popeye u have done vary well on your build .iam so proud of u cant wait it see it all done keep up the great work.ps iam still working on my victory build 

thanks Dragzz...appreciate the sentiment  ;)   you should post the progress on the Vic,  so we can see 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

it's 1 Am........been quite a day.   actually......the last couple days have been busy...but.........I managed to get some table time in..........here's what I did Tuesday   { I'll do the rest tomorrow......or later on today,  whichever way you want to look at it} ;)

the rest of the beads were cemented in place on the rope {string......thread......imaginative descriptions}

post-612-0-92122800-1431581085.jpg

while I was milling about,  I caught this view of her..........had to snap a picture.

post-612-0-40712800-1431581134.jpg

now.......for some strange reason,  the ca wouldn't stick,  as I attempted to put the rope on the preservers.  tried a few times, but heck no.......   rather than get frustrated,  I thought up a different method.   taking smaller thread,  the rope was tied to the preserver {no knot}.....kind of like the first binding when you tie your shoe.  the thread was wrapped around one more time,  and the same tie was done  {no knot}.   this allows the thread to lay flat on the preserver,  and not become too thick.  the rope being tied on,  was then adjusted,  and a tiny bit of CA was applied to the tie.  I had just enough time to make a last adjustment,  if needed.

post-612-0-88486100-1431581602.jpg

it also helped to have the  'helping hands'........don't know how I got along before without it  ;)    great little tool!   this is the first one I did......in finishing it,  I pulled too much and pulled the rope out.  rather than redo it,  I just fixed it and left it at that.  I'll make sure this one goes on the bulkhead wall.

post-612-0-74556500-1431581827.jpg

the other two came out good......actually have some nice loops.  this method looks better too....the rope bindings make it look a bit more real.   I don't think I'll be slapp'in 'em together any more the way I used to.

post-612-0-39196600-1431582069.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very sweet, Denis. It seems that CA sometimes has it's own will ;). Or some ghost move in ...

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

G'day Denis

The life preservers looks great. Just a thought though: "Don't they normally put the ships name on them?" Just kidding mate!

Haveagreatone

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Nice work on the preservers.  I've seen CA get stubborn as well.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thanks for all the kind comments and the likes!  

Nenad........I don't know what it was.....but it's better to find a solution,  than to get frustrated  ;)

thanks John......what can I say..........YOU taught me  :)

Greg.........yes they do.   when I did the Mary Ann,  I made decals for them......think I did it on another build too.   these are too small.......I could have,  but I may do just as well to scribble some black paint on them  :D  :D  wait till you see the ones for the Boulogne Etaples.......now these are large enough to have fun with  ;)

Wayne..........some do.  I think it would depend on how low in the water the ship sits.   on the higher hulled ships,  I would think just keeping the man overboard buoyant, would be their first priority.  I just can't see someone running to the side with a preserver,  and an armload of rope.  then to think that in the early days.....it would be time consuming to tie a rope on there........but today,  it's much easier due to the use of lanyard hooks {snap hooks}.  yea,  I thought about it too........figured to just keep it simple  :)  

Patrick........the stand she's on already is it.   I like the pillared look,  but have never done it.  I usually used the stand that comes with the kit.   the dilemma that I'm really concerned with is a case.........darn thing is going to have to look like a square box!   I'll post some dimensions later  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Those life-preservers look great Dennis! I've had trouble with CA in the past on certain types of plastic, so like the other guys said, I guess it's temperamental.

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Glad you're going to case her up.  She more than deserves it.  Just a classic, super scratch build.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956