Andrea Gail by Popeye the Sailor - 1:20 scale - Finished

thank you Lawrence.......and a Happy New Year to you.. :)   I really see this build......going upwards now!

so........I finally got the dash done enough to give you a good idea of what the Billing's kit would supply.

post-612-0-69505500-1420122721.jpg

post-612-0-19038500-1420122734.jpg

post-612-0-60059000-1420122747.jpg

I still have to add the gauges,  which I will use some of those cast off pieces I showed earlier.   there is a seat that also goes in there....I still have to make it :)   I can use either one.......I'll have to weigh out which one is better {after I make an instrument panel for the other one}.  I may not put much more detail into it though......small windows   {learned my lesson with the Cux 87}

the scaffolding is about 3/4 done now.......I need to come up with a few more parts for it.

post-612-0-37346100-1420123113.jpg

the drums are all finished with the sanding......now for the next step

post-612-0-55625600-1420123168.jpg

here is another package of those cast off pieces.......they come from the Half Moon.  there is a question I ask myself.......when all the parts are punched out and on the table,  with these cast off pieces heaped in a pile nearby.........."when is a part,  not a part?"   simple.........the ones you don't use  :D  :D

I had taken off yesterday afternoon........we went to HobbyTown and Home depot.  I spent half of the gift card that I got from HobbyTown.   bought some plastic cement {to be ready},  some decal paper {the one with clear and white},  and I found the super thin dowels I will need for the buoys.....I will go to Hobby Lobby and get the oval beads to complete their assembly

post-612-0-43992400-1420124025.jpg

At home depot......I felt like I was in a time lapse.  I distinctly remember seeing a simple version of dryer ducting.......a four inch tube with an aluminum collar attached to it.  now,  I'll admit...when I last bought one of these,  it was back in the 90's.........but I couldn't find anything that even closely resembled it!

what I did find though,  that will work...was a soffet vent,  a round plastic collar with a four inch tube coming out of it.  near it was a tin square with a four inch hole in the middle.  sliding the vent through the hole,  I saw that it will work......the collar traps it well enough.   we have plenty of box fans.....I'll be sure to show you how this will look.

post-612-0-59900200-1420124578.jpg

I also wanted a tool box......to combine the two trays that hold all my modeling tools.  the organizer,  I will use for my paints.....they're all in a box in the closet.   the tool box works well......all of my small tools will go in the tray inside,  and the larger tools will go in the large belly under the tray.   not exactly what I was thinking of.......I was thinking of a metal one......3 - 4 drawers, and perhaps a compartment at the bottom......guess the admiral figured that it didn't fit the decor  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice work on the scaffolding popeye, that's a lot of neat drums you have there, be sure to secure them properly so they don't cause an oil spill ;)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Nice progress Popeye.  I'm beginning to see what she's suppose to look like.  Crooked drums are okay, they get banged around a lot and most wind up dented anyhow.  You are just makin then authentically dented  ;)

Hey, decals on the drums would be the cat's meow!  Use a few different bands too.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I'm humbled with your comment Doris :)   I'm trying......but it's so hard to attain the level that you instill in your modeling....your work is art!

thanks Aldo....more on the trawl rig soon.......I'll try to be ecologically friendly ;)

thanks Piet........Exactly!   there will be different color combinations......as mentioned,  the deck and structures are dominantly white,  so I'm doing my best to give her a little color ;)   got side tracked yesterday...and today  {my last day of vacation} I need to run a few more.  I hope to get something done..........perhaps another vacation is in order :)

thanks also to everyone who hit the like button!  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Dennis

There is a certain "deliciousness' that comes with a beautifully detailed model; ie one that captivates and draws one's eye to marvel at each and every tiny detail. Concurrently, one's eye is drawn away from the detail to take in the whole model at a glance and marvel at the overall effect.

I have no doubt that you A G is going to be one such model. The level of detail and skill involved in pulling it all together, as witnessed by your most recent photos is testimony to this.

Keep the photos coming!

Cheers

Patrick

thanks Omega for your kind comment.   once I can get some paint and the rest of the trawl rig on her,  then she'll look much better.  beside the first drum,  I have four more ready for paint............seven more to detail ;)     thanks for the good word :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

my first week back at work was.........well.......OK.   at least I was able to find humor in it all  :)   I left the fuel drum assembly on my desk all week end.......I even cleaned up the desk a little.....which made the admiral very happy  ;)     so the count was left off like this.......five are ready for paint.......four of them had the ribbing around the body.......and two are bare.   I tried to do a little during the work week....but as I figured, that didn't happen.

post-612-0-06609600-1420562012.jpg

post-612-0-91786600-1420562027.jpg

I was also on line,  and found the color schemes for quite a few oil companies,  along with their logos,  so I'll be able to splash enough color on the deck,  to offset the white {the dominant color}.  at this point...the other two drums have the banding.....they all  {6}  need the tops

I still need to see if the decal maker will install

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Been watching for a while Dennis and can't keep quiet anymore! The detail work in your AG is outstanding, and I think she'll turn out beautiful! 

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Denis, this is looking so nice , the only thing missing here is George Clooney!! :D

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Please use Clint Eastwood  or Gregory Peck instead of George Clooney  :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Popeye,

those fuel drums look real good...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Denis,

Not sure who you'd use here mate, Clooney just fell overboard, Peck is still fighting the white whale and Eastwood is busy shootin up the bad guys, how about the skipper from Amity, Jaws, ( can't think of his name ). :P  :P .  I reckon the forum brothers can come up with someone.

What you are doing here is I believe, surpassing anything you have done in the past mate, it really is wonderful.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thanks George.......no need to be quiet.   always glad to see new folks looking in.   it didn't look like much when I started it,  but the more I add to her,  the more I'm convinced that I chose the perfect hull to base it on.   thanks for the good word......I hope it holds true when it's finished  :)  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis,

Not sure who you'd use here mate, Clooney just fell overboard, Peck is still fighting the white whale and Eastwood is busy shootin up the bad guys, how about the skipper from Amity, Jaws, ( can't think of his name ). :P  :P .  I reckon the forum brothers can come up with someone.

What you are doing here is I believe, surpassing anything you have done in the past mate, it really is wonderful.

Be Good

mobbsie

That would be Robert Shaw, may he rest in Peace.  Another good choice!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Denis, you obviouslu don't need help of Gandalf or Harry Poter. Anyway, magic work

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

is Gregory Peck still alive??????  :D    I was looking up  'Jaws'........they almost cut Shaw out because of his drinking.  he couldn't stand Richard Dreyfus either!  {....and you thought they were merely acting,  on screen}  can't use George Clooney either......he already took the plunge! >pun <.......{he got married a few weeks ago}.   Eastwood......I think he's getting too old.  either he's trying to get someone to 'make his day',  or he can't remember half the time how many bullets are left in his gun.  :)  :D

anyway......thanks all for the good word ;)   I'm gonna try and get done with these drums,  so I can get going on something else.   maybe even something where I won't be getting CA on my fingers.......my sense of touch is going south fast!  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Sand the CA off with 150 grit paper on a block.  You fingers will be sensitive like a safe cracker!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

usually I just do the dishes for the admiral.......she likes this  :)    I've been holding the ends of the wire down with my thumb nail......you know this stuff makes for great finger nail polish.............hard and very shiny!!!  :D    hey!!!   it's what all the fashionable modelers are wearing these days  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis when you finish her up ,you really have to get Clooney to be in the picture with your masterpiece,don't forget in the movie, he was the skipper of the Andrea Gail, even though his acting ability is on par with the Knight Rider's, he's still your best choice :D :D (for publicity's sake!!)

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I don't know Frank...........but it would be a hoot if I could get him to stop by!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

OK........now I'm going to put the finish on the fuel drums.   then I can get on with some of these other sub assemblies.  there's still a bit more to do with the podium / rack.....the ice maker......still a couple more ladders to make {say it isn't so}.......and for some reason..there's a nagging feeling to cement the pilot house in place {I know I still need to make the roof}.    anyway........I installed the decal maker in my computer......wasn't sure that it would work on Vista.

post-612-0-21337300-1420740849.jpg

happy to report that it does.......now to force myself to get the update for it {keep say'in I'm gonna!}  the next couple of pictures,  you've already seen.........here they are all done up to the point of paint.

post-612-0-03926400-1420741667.jpg

so,  online I found some logos.  I did grab some singular logos.......but thinking that there may be some issue with sizing them down {getting them all to be the same size},  I thought to grab some logo clusters.

Hmmmmmm.......sounds like a cereal,  don't it  ;)    "sit right down and have yourself a bowl of logo clusters!   they're in the cereal isle,  next to the Quaker Sprockets!"

post-612-0-00855300-1420742594.jpg

for some reason......the A.G. decals came out gray.  I did these with the clear decal paper....I have white,  but I'm sure to run into the problem of trying to match the background color.  I couldn't remember what the stern decal looked like.....it needs to be in white.   one saving grace I saw was that the drum color is not that big of an issue.......they used whatever drums they were supplied with,  it seems..... either that, or oil that was bought in bulk,  was drummed by that supplier.  I just got them as close as I could

post-612-0-64534200-1420743573.jpg

post-612-0-73634200-1420743599.jpg

decals were applied after that..........might be a bit on the overkill side,  but I think they look pretty good.

post-612-0-43608900-1420743804.jpg

post-612-0-91637600-1420743819.jpg

post-612-0-63656300-1420743835.jpg

so......on an overly white deck and layout.......I think I can throw enough color into the mix......meanwhile, I'll put the extras away,  in the hopes I can find a 1/16 or 1/8 car model,  I can bash the heck out of  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Creatively done, Popeye.  VERY nice.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Great looking herd of barrels there Popeye  ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

LOL! That's what I was saying Piet. They all need to be lassoed to the deck.  :D  :D

Cheers  :cheers:

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild