US Brig Syren by _SalD_ – FINISHED - 3/16" scale

Mast tops finished and unpainted.  Railings are not glued in position yet.

post-11922-0-98284600-1453822265_thumb.jpg

I decided to use the more accurate method of hanging the blocks below the tops as Chuck noted in the instructions.  To thread the rigging line through the holes I used a wire I removed from a needle threader.  This allowed me to remove the wire while keeping the loop above the top.  To keep the loops from pulling back through the holes I used the scrap shanks from eye bolts that I had cut off previously.  After getting frustrated trying to insert the proper size pin in the loop I found it was a lot easier to put in a longer pin than required and then trim it to size after it was in place.

post-11922-0-38149600-1453822269_thumb.jpg

To keep the 3/32” clearance between the block and the underside of the mast top I made up some zip-seizing and cut them 3/32” long.  These were then slipped over the rigging line to act as spacers.

post-11922-0-69214800-1453822270_thumb.jpg

I used a third hand to help hold the blocks in place while I tied the line around them.  I wish the tops were painted some other color than black because believe me, black thread on a black background was tough.  A pin was used to help keep the deadeyes in place while I tied them.  I must be getting better at this because I didn’t launch any of them into never-never land.  Also notice the pins below the loops.

post-11922-0-21915900-1453822273_thumb.jpgpost-11922-0-84071100-1453822271_thumb.jpg

Finished tops

post-11922-0-17662900-1453822274_thumb.jpg

Finished lower masts and I have to say that these two pieces were one of the more complex assemblies I’ve done on this ship.  There are a lot of parts that need to be coordinated that I wasn’t fully aware of until assembling everything.  My one big faux pas was the placement of the bibbs.  When I installed them on the mast cheeks I thought I had aligned them square in the fore and aft direction.  However, when I installed the mast tops on top of them I discovered the tops were angled to one side. To fix this I squared the tops to the masts which made the bibbs slightly angled off the trestles. It’s a good thing everything is painted black because it’s hard to notice.

post-11922-0-77996700-1453822276_thumb.jpg

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

Wow! Looks really good!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

The mast tops look amazing! Great job!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Thanks Bob, George and Jesse and Elijah, I really appreciate the comments and the likes.

Edited by _SalD_

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

Thanks Lawrence and if you enjoy rigging how would you like do do mine? :)   The more I look at all those lines the more apprehensive I get about starting.  I know I just need to take it one line at a time, but that's a lot of lines!

We got about 12" of snow but the temperature is back up in the 40's (F) so it's melting pretty quickly.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

Trestle and cross trees construction. To ensure these pieces were assembled properly I put a piece of two-sided tape down over the drawing and used it for a template to alien the parts.  I took Chuck’s advice and predrilled the holes in the cross trees before I removed them from the laser cut sheet.  Be very careful while drilling these holes the parts are very fragile.  I ended up splitting two of the ends that I had to glue back together.   Let the drill do the work and resist the urge to push the bit into the wood like someone I know did. :rolleyes:

post-11922-0-42895500-1454340307_thumb.jpg

I shaped the top and topgallant masts using the same procedure I used for the lower masts.  The only deviation I made from the instructions was to the very top of the topgallant mast.  What I did and it wasn’t from lack of trying but after I broke the mast two times while trying to make this little pole at the top I decided that I would just make it a separate piece.  I made the topgallant to just above the upper most sheave then drilled a hole in the top so I could insert the pole which was made from a toothpick sanded down to the right diameter.

post-11922-0-96751700-1454340308_thumb.jpg

post-11922-0-33191800-1454340311_thumb.jpgpost-11922-0-21672100-1454340310_thumb.jpg

The mast parts were all assembled and painted.  I believe (and hope) I installed all the blocks that were shown on the plans.  I can see where this would be a pain to do after the masts are in place, if you see something I missed please let me know.

post-11922-0-58688700-1454340312_thumb.jpgpost-11922-0-10656500-1454340317_thumb.jpg

post-11922-0-61391600-1454340315_thumb.jpgpost-11922-0-98988100-1454340313_thumb.jpg

Masts temporarily installed

post-11922-0-48081700-1454340318_thumb.jpg

The final pieces I made up were the mast coats which I covered in cloth from a handkerchief to make them look like they were covered in canvas.

post-11922-0-92127300-1454340319_thumb.jpg

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

Thanks Dirk and Craig. Makes a big difference with the bowsprit and masts in place.

Dirk, you look a lot warmer now.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

Wow :o! Those masts are very tall! Great job! They look great assembled :).

-Elijah

Current build(s):

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Stepped the masts!!

To help align the masts I find that a 45 degree drafting triangle comes in handy.  I use the triangle to help me center the mast side to side.  First I scribe a line in the plastic triangle bisecting the 90 degree angle and perpendicular to the hypotenuse, pay attention Elijah there’s going to be a quiz on this.  Then I measure the overall distance outboard to outboard of the cap rail where the triangle will be placed.  Dividing that distance in half I mark that distance on either side of the scribed line along the hypotenuse of the triangle.  Then standing the triangle up against the mast and with the two marks at either edge of the cap rail the apex of the bisected 90 degree angle will be centered on the ship and 90 degrees to the deck. For the fore and aft position I used a gin pole arrangement braced back against the cannons.

post-11922-0-62781100-1454507571_thumb.jpgpost-11922-0-05131900-1454507570_thumb.jpg

Both fore and main masts were done the same way.  Fortunately I was able the use the opening between the hammock netting at the boarding panels to place the triangle for the main mast.

post-11922-0-04658800-1454507573_thumb.jpgpost-11922-0-41133900-1454507574_thumb.jpg

The advantage I find with this method is that the ship doesn’t need to be leveled. As long as the ship is built with a reasonable amount of symmetry and the triangle is properly placed across the rails then the apex of the triangle will always be at the center of the ship and 90 degrees to the cap rails (deck).

Final step was to push the mast coats down into position.

post-11922-0-49674700-1454507575_thumb.jpg

Please excuse the mess

post-11922-0-93144600-1454507576_thumb.jpg

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

Sal, thanks for the tip. I had not thought of using a gin pole to brace them. Will use that on my model. Model is looking great.  BTW What mess ? ;)  Looks very well organized to me :P

Sal -

What a great idea!  And I actually have an old 45 - 45- 90 drafting triangle similar to yours.  Glad I never throw anything out.  I have such a bad "eye" that I could never do it freehand.  In the past, I tried to line the mast up eyeballing with a door frame in the background to get it straight.  Your approach is so much more straightforward.  Thanks for sharing.

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

Where is the best place to get one of those 45* drafting triangles? Yes, I screenshot every helpful post I see :D! Maybe I should get a binder and print out all the helpful tips, then I could organize them by category! This idea might be worth saving :D;). Your workshop is great, better than my father's (which people throw stuff into all the time). Great job on those masts! Now I just need to find a binder and a whole lot of printer ink…

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for the comments Gary, Elijah, George & Lawrence.  Elijah like George mentioned Amazon is probably a good place to buy a drafting triangle or if you have a Hobby Lobby nearby they should have them or any art supply store will have them.  It's been a long time, a real long time, since I've purchase one myself.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

Sal,

Really nice work and great explanations.  These are a big help to me.

FYI, hobby lobby has a 40% off one item coupon on their website.  You can use a new one each day. That's good for me because I have one just down the road.

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Hey Duff, Jimmy, thanks for looking in and the nice words, see you Saturday.

and thanks for all the likes

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

Started the chain plates and made them pretty much as described in the instructions.   The only difference was I added two additional pins to the jig for the deadeye strops.  The two extra pins as seen in the photo below helped me keep the bent wire together and made it easier to bend back the loose ends.

post-11922-0-83214000-1455036942_thumb.jpgpost-11922-0-31169000-1455036944_thumb.jpg

Chain plates assembled.

post-11922-0-81520900-1455036945_thumb.jpg

Deadeyes in position with edge strip added to the channels

post-11922-0-12506500-1455036947_thumb.jpg

Chain plates fastened to hull.  I decided to use the photo etched preventer links because they looked a lot nicer than what I made.  The only problem I found with these links was that the brass nails provided with the kit to fasten these links to the hull did not fit though the holes in them. :huh:  So instead of the brass nails I used some sewing pins I had that fit nicely and actually had a smaller head than the nails.

post-11922-0-05420400-1455036948_thumb.jpg

Prior to starting the rigging I decided to mount the ship on its display board and pedestals.  The board is ½” oak from Home Depot stained with the same 40-60 mixture of golden oak and natural stain as used on the model and the pedestals are from Model Expo.

post-11922-0-19625700-1455036949_thumb.jpg

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

Very nice solutions!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Fabulous work Sal...she looks great on her display board..love the stain color.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild