KW49, Antje 1959 by Kees de Mol - FINISHED - scale 1/75 - Dutch side trawler

Thanks very much Kees,

a very smart way of producing the hull.

I was just thinking and imagining of Popeye`s Holiday Harbor fleet following your idea and producing a whole Harbor full of fishing Trawlers.

Please continue to share youre great modeling ideas I like so much. I asume you have some more surprizes "up the sleeve". A great enrichment for this Forum,

Cheers

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Kees,

Didn't see that one coming. I thought you were up to a good oldfashioned solid hull...

Jan

I am full of surprises B)  A solid hull gave some problems because the ship has a bulwark. So I had to hollow it out or I would have to saw a big peace out and replace it with aluminium bulwarks. The vacuumforming gave me some work but I can go on now much easier and I can make more hulls in the future if someone else wants a ship like this.

Regards, Kees

Edited by kees de mol

I used to work in a cabinet shop in Florida........they did vacuuform for vanity doors and drawer fronts.   the machine they used is huge and used a vacuum system to create the forms.  the forms were placed in the machine......they had little holes all around to remove the displaced air..........unfortunately,  the rest of the process was hidden by the machine itself.   but,  as you did,  the heated plastic was lowered onto the form and the vacuum sucked out the air trapped in between.  I would help in the dept sometimes,  if they needed it.  I used to do the router work on the filler boards {doors and fronts},  to put in the formed plastic.   later the edges were trimmed and the backs were painted white to match the formed fronts.

a pretty cool process!

well!   that's what I get for not turning on the sound!   I didn't even notice that there was a vacuum hooked up to the form box......watching it the second time made even more sense  :)    yepper!  if I had something like that,  I wouldn't have had to do all that planking.  :D  :D

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 5 weeks later...

Due to some healthproblems I haven't let hear something last weeks.(sorry Iam not a very healthy person) In the meantime there is some progression in my shipyard so here are some pictures.

The hull is cut out of the surrounding plastic
P1020858_zps6325036c.jpg

The beginning of what will be under the front of the ship. You will see it hardly when the ship is finished but I rather make to much then to little and regret it afterwards.
P1020859_zpse4d1bcad.jpg

And I made a beginning with the halfround. I tried to immitate the strakes (?) by taping them on the hull and then I sprayed filler over it and removed the tape. Whats left are some subtile strakes. Just ennough for the effect.
P1020860_zps97c8f833.jpg

P1020861_zpsa0d6cd63.jpg

Hi kees

Looking good already! I shall be following along with great interest. Always wondered how vac forming was done properly......always worth a YES!!!!!!! When everything goes to plan!

P.s I still haven't done that explanation of how I made the case for the sloop but I haven't forgotten!

Hope your health stays good

Festive greetings

Cheers.....mick

hope you are doing better Kees,  and hope that you had a great holiday!  looking forward in seeing more ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I managed to do some work on the KW49 Antje and I came some further with her. What was in the begining just a piece of raw plastic is now becoming more and more a ship. I really like working on here. I need to figure out a lot of things every time I have to build something, but its fun.

All the half round is added, the hole for the anchor is made. I adde al the visible ribs to the deck and I made the front deck and under it some hatches and a winch.

Now I started working on the upper structure and the bridge.

Regards, Kees

P1020885_zps3510a68b.jpg

P1020888_zps95a83a83.jpg

P1020886_zpsc77d9fe2.jpg

P1020891_zps0026ac78.jpg

P1020889_zpsf25842f2.jpg

Edited by kees de mol

good to see some progress Kees.........nicely done Hawse hole.   deck structures are 1/2 the fun....can't wait to see how you'll detail her out!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The last few days I worked on the upperstructure of the ship and the bridge. I used only polystyrene and glue. I am using lesser CA-glue these day but use super thin ps-glue. It glues fast and strong but you have the possibility to position the pieces you want to glue.

Pictures say more than words.

P1020911_zps920d50d0.jpg

P1020912_zpsd630cdb5.jpg

P1020913_zps70eaca77.jpg

P1020914_zps9442b993.jpg

P1020915_zpsb6e4aad8.jpg

P1020916_zps61fd1e4c.jpg

P1020917_zps1a435252.jpg

P1020918_zps2b257a33.jpg

P1020919_zpscfcba93c.jpg

P1020920_zpsbf5b1499.jpg

P1020921_zps2f2fbc32.jpg

P1020922_zps6da9c9f0.jpg

Edited by kees de mol

that looks pretty sweet Kees!   could you have used a heat source to make the bends around the corners?  I like what you did,  but I'm thinking it might have saved you the sanding and putty work,  your going to be faced with.   Like the shape of the structure very much..... ^_^ very well done ^_^ :im Not Worthy:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello Popeye,

It is possible to use a heatsource to bent the plastig but then you need to make a mould. Otherwise the corners would not have the same radius at all places. And in real life it will never bent like you want it to bent so you need to sand and putty any way. I made a lot off wheelhouses with round corners and I found this way the best way to do it. Today I sanded the corners and they are nice and smooth now. Pictures will follow.

Regards, Kees

sounds like you've tried a few different ways....to be honest,  I've been out of the loop {working with plastic}, for quite some time.  I still kick myself for taking the hiatus from modeling in my mid life.    it's cool to see other concepts of shape.  looking at your photos again...I see the rail structure continues aftward,  making the judging of radius harder.    darn nice work! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks for the responce and for everyone who hit the like-button.

I managed to do some more work on the Antje. I build an exhaustpipe a roof for the wheelhouse and I added the first detaills on the ship.

P1020924_zps3be1c162.jpg

P1020925_zps952f0361.jpg

P1020927_zps76a9c7f7.jpg

P1020928_zps357091f7.jpg

P1020929_zpsaf4282f6.jpg

P1020930_zpsa85861b5.jpg

P1020931_zps6906bc37.jpg

Edited by kees de mol

I am amazed watching you work with plastic.  Well done. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

awesome!!!   the funnel looks great!    love the brass bit too..........truly nice work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Some progress on the little trawler from Holland.

I made some antenna's, a compass, a searchlight and some other bits and pieces.

It's hard to build an acurate model. Drawings don't show enough detaills and the photo's are made from to far sitance or are bad quality. I have to use lot's of photo's (also from other ships), drawing, the internet and the help from an old sailorman to make the parts but its very rewarding to do.

Now I will start working with a very strange material. Its has a brown collour, has a smell, splinters when you break it, and is not very easy to bend. I think it's a high tech new material from Nasa's laborotery's. Do you know the name? Very strange.... It makes me sneeze when I sand it :blink:

P1020934_zps2027792c.jpg

P1020935_zpsa92ffef0.jpg

P1020936_zpsb324ce55.jpg

P1020937_zps1562fefb.jpg

P1020938_zps9adb7dc8.jpg

P1020940_zps04e680b2.jpg

P1020942_zps447a7e6f.jpg

P1020946_zps32e4e6fa.jpg

P1020947_zps835fb255.jpg

P1020948_zpsafb75935.jpg

P1020949_zps8a1697d3.jpg

P1020951_zps638a768d.jpg

P1020952_zpsf3e3a13f.jpg

Edited by kees de mol

Fantastic detail Kees, looks real!  Hey, I like the Gulden too!  I have a few left over myself  ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Beautiful work on those tiny parts.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

very nice detail there Kees.........really cool searchlight,  and those tiny lights are very realistic. :)   the curved parts of the structure came out very well.  I know what you mean about pictures........some of the ones I try to follow are less than helpful sometimes ;)   none the less though,  you've done well in filling in the blanks  :)     really super job!!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Now I will start working with a very strange material. Its has a brown collour, has a smell, splinters when you break it, and is not very easy to bend. I think it's a high tech new material from Nasa's laborotery's. Do you know the name? Very strange.... It makes me sneeze when I sand it :blink:

I work with that strange brown material all the time.  They call it wood.  I have to learn how to work with the old white low tech material like you do.  What you do with it is very good.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray