KW49, Antje 1959 by Kees de Mol - FINISHED - scale 1/75 - Dutch side trawler

All the woodwork on the wheelhouse is done now and i guess it will look great after some varnish. I also made a mast. It took a lot of time to find out all the dimensions and how all the rigging was. This week I got some new photo's wich are very helpfull to me.

P1020954_zpspkkc6fcl.jpg

P1020955_zps6voxldxi.jpg

P1020956_zpsl2vqihxy.jpg

P1020960_zpskeeyrpk6.jpg

P1020961_zpsfasdogwl.jpg

P1020962_zpslvfm7nlr.jpg

P1020957_zpsy8g5fpqi.jpg

P1020958_zpsfocdb9q0.jpg

P1020959_zpsyy6wi7ze.jpg

P1020964_zpscltzd4p4.jpg

Edited by kees de mol

gonna be a sweet looking helm room!  nice technique in cutting out the windows ;)     nice fittings on the mast as well.......very well done.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

The reardeck and wheelhouse are finished now so I post some overall pictures for yoy to see how it's looking now. At this moment I started working on the winchhouse, the mast and the fishingbeams. These are later additions on the ship but they where allready there when my grandfather started to sail with here so I have to build them. It wont be easy because there are no drawings of this later additions and I have not much pictures of it. But with the help of some old fishermen I will make this to a succes.

Regards, Kees

P1020979_zpsld57qle2.jpg

P1020984_zps4y0czvvh.jpg

P1020980_zpshe0txgda.jpg

P1020983_zpskd09mmjj.jpg

P1020981_zpshddodqis.jpg

Edited by kees de mol

very nice work Kees.....love the detail you've put into it.  well done indeed!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Very nice work Kees,

deck housings and all fiiting out details are beautifuly done, a super model

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hello Kees

I want to tell you, that your skills impressing me very - it is very inspiring! ... and I especially like the detail work on all of the fittings and little parts! 

I'm looking forward to more ...  :) 

Best Regards!

Mike

Edited by mikegerber

current scratch build 1:15

Colin Archer - RS14 "Stavanger"

The last few days I have build the -Portaalmast- (don't know the english word for it) and the fishingbeams. These things were added ten years after the ships birth.

P1020987_zps5yhc0awr.jpg

P1020990_zps0gifsr8z.jpg

P1020991_zpsc1t4l0vo.jpg

P1020992_zpssgek8tz4.jpg

P1020994_zpsqdx60wzl.jpg

P1020997_zps2dubpftx.jpg

P1020998_zpsnncrddfo.jpg

P1030002_zps7isrxd6h.jpg

P1030004_zpsofwskrqk.jpg

P1030006_zpsnz9sltnt.jpg

P1030007_zps1cyrunym.jpg

P1030008_zpsiahx1q6w.jpg

Edited by kees de mol

Fantastic work Kees, looks like steel alright!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

quite a bit of detail in there Kees........the assembly looks just super!  it's amazing what your gleaning from mere pictures ;)  very awesome job indeed!  :)

I was looking at your railings again.........made me think of my last visit to the craft store.  I saw some 'parts'.......resembled the stanchions you made.  I really like the way you put on the cap rail.  definitely food for thought ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Today I finished the frontmast. I lost my camera so almost no pictures of the building but the final pictures show enough I think. It was a lot of work to find out how the rigging and lights in the mast had to be because I had no good pictures of this and it seemed different on any other ship from wich I had photo's. But I think it's done right now.

P1030027_zpshqlr1dcq.jpg

P1030026_zpsibgmeeh4.jpg

P1030009_zpspmghkikj.jpg

P1030029_zpsajekgkif.jpg

P1030028_zps8cj5sani.jpg

excellent Build Kees,

I see, you have amoungst other skills developed yourself to a master of modeling in styrene. I have seen this material once in the shop of a professional modelbuilder for shipyard models

Very good work

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

super looking masting Kees........really neat how it's put together ;)   even without clear pictures,  you have good attention to detail...I love It!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello fellow shipbuilders,

Thank you for all the comments and for the likes! Man, I like the like-button! Miss it so much on the Dutch forums. Sometimes you dont't know what to say but with the like-button you can always let te author know you appriciate his work and his postings.

Today I worked on the trawl gallows. These gallows are placed on starboardside of the deck and they hold a pulley/block trough wich the fishingline runs into the sea. You can imagine how enormous force is exercised on these gallows so they were made from heavy steel and were anchored directly on the ships construction.

On this photo you can see the rear gallow with the heavy pulley/block. On the front of the ship there is also a gallow. The nets had two fishingline so the nets stayed open and with the pulleys/blocks the nets were hauled in.

IMG_0019_zps47e3938e.jpg

And here some photo's of the building. Each trawl gallows containes more than 50 parts plus all the parts that fell on the floor and became unfindable. :(

P1030034_zpsttdg9usf.jpg

P1030035_zpsb2y0dx5f.jpg

P1030036_zpsdtnegk4b.jpg

P1030038_zpsuiljhupj.jpg

P1030042_zpsxxvz5ddj.jpg

P1030044_zpsqgll9odq.jpg

P1030046_zpscg9cr0eg.jpg

I hope you enjoy watching and reading my postings. I enjoy reading your topics and I am amazed by the skills you have. Thank you for everything

See you with the next update

Regards, Kees

Edited by kees de mol

Fantastic work Kees.  If, or when, I'm goin to build the Musi I may just venture into styrene.  It resembles steel so much better then wood or paper.  I just need to get familiar with this "strange" material, it's so much different from aircraft aluminum ;)  

Love the pic of the Guilder too, I still have a few as well as a "daalder" and a few other old cons.  

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

you certainly are a master in your medium.........they look so real  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Today(saturday) I went for a trip to Amsterdam. Wow I've seen so much, maybe a little to much :o I felt like being in another part of the world. So much people, so much cultures and nationalitys.
But yesterday I had a full shift of building at the attic and I finished the (10 years later added) port side trawl gallow. It looks different than the starboard gallows. And I made a sort of pole with a roll on it. Don't know what its for and how it's called.
And the anchor winch wich wasn't really a winch. It has no motor or gearing on it. Just a roll on wich they attached the fishing line. Then the anchor went overboard and it rolled the fishingline on the roll. When they had to lift the anchor they just hauled the fishingline in and the anchor.... well.. I hope you understand my Louis van Gaal english  ^_^  (are there any english people here? They will understand the joke)  The winch consists of more than 60 parts and it was very good therapy for me to build it.

Regards, Kees

P1030047_zpsdutvdcks.jpg

P1030048_zpsd0tzxi22.jpg

P1030049_zps5hsmm0h8.jpg

P1030050_zpsoarbwxim.jpg

P1030051_zpsnnurfc4c.jpg

P1030056_zpsrugvsqzc.jpg

Edited by kees de mol

Kees,

very nicely made Details.....

Are These basicly styrene Profile (semi materials) you are using ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Are These basicly styrene Profile (semi materials) you are using ?

Yes and no.

I make the most of the parts out of styren plate 1.0, 0.5 and 0.25 mm. And i use o lot of styrene profiles from different brands. The most commonly known brand is Evergreen and you have Plastruct but it's not very good availlable here in Holland.

Building a model of a modern ship is IMHO pretty mutch like building a full scale ship. In full scale they make use of plate-material and a lot of different profiles like tubes, H-beams, angled steel etc etc. In modelbuilding you do the same only with smaller materials and to meet the right scale you have to make a lot of profiles yourself out of plate-material.

Regards, Kees

looking super Kees......when all the sub assemblies are in place on the deck.....it's gonna look great!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello fellow shipbuilders. First I like to tell you I started a blog. Not to replace my activity on this marvelous forum but just to bundle all my building-photo's etc on one place. the blog can be found on http://www.modelfishingships.blogspot.com Please bookmark and share!

Now on with the build.

I needed new primer and so I went to my local diy-shop where they sell my favourite brand but when I got there... not my primer on the shelf! Bummer... but there was another brand wich promissed to be a very good primer for plastics. When I tested it on a piece of plastic it was ok but when I primed my model this was what came out of it.

P1030059.JPG

P1030061.JPG

I was so mad!!!! The wheelhouse was a total mess and ready for the garbagecan. All those hours of work....

After crying a bit I managed to remove the ****** paint and now she is nice and shiny in a new coat of primer again. Tomorrow I am going to destroy the faulty can of primer. Dont know how yet but I will find a way.

P1030065.JPG