KW49, Antje 1959 by Kees de Mol - FINISHED - scale 1/75 - Dutch side trawler

Nice work in the railing Kees and a great tutorial.  

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks for showing us how it's done.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

After the KW49 Antje this will (most likely) be my next project. The KW88 Pelikaan a Dutch beamtrawler build in 1999. L: 42.4 meters. It will be in scale 1:75 the model will be +/- 22 inches

PELIKAAN_836746.940x1000_zpscodxhszg.jpg

That's one handsome looking trawler Kees.  At that scale it'll be a miniature and a great challenge for detail work.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

those are super looking railings Kees........very well done indeed!   I think I mentioned it before.......on one of my jaunts to the craft store,  I saw some jewelery fittings that look just like them.......even have the holes predrilled.   if I see them again,  I will pick them up.....I'll show 'em to you  ;)   

the stanchions I work with are sold by Billing Boats....I had quite an inventory........I'm now starting to dwindle down on them.   really neat idea to make them,  something to keep in mind  ;)    

future build idea look really cool!   are you going to make the hull the same way as this one?

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice work on the brass railing, I too thought the ship was much bigger looking at that one photo with you "holding" the ladder.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

are you going to make the hull the same way as this one?

Thank You all for the likes and replys. My goal is to make the hull the same as the KW49 so I can always build more of these ships.

Regards, Kees

I have been very happily watching your wonderful work, thank you for sharing it with us.  The railings are beautiful.

Speaking of beautiful, the KW-88 is one very clean and nicely turned-out craft.  Most of the trawlers I grew up watching (In Gloucester and Boston, USA ) looked a bit more like the below-water section on the Dutch vessel...

Some little jobs had to be done on the Antje before I could give her a fine coat of primer

First I made some horizontal bar on the mast. It is a guard to prevent the net from swinging above the deck
P1030137_zpshxj5oone.jpg

P1030138_zpshosqs10j.jpg

Things for the ropes
P1030139_zpsgqijkdw2.jpg

Here we miss some parts
P1030141_zpsvpxqtvjs.jpg

P1030142_zpsojgjkafh.jpg

P1030143_zpserqxk1kc.jpg

P1030144_zps7klzmykk.jpg

Overall picture
P1030145_zpsebbqu0ok.jpg

And a dryfit with the oakwood baseplate
P1030146_zpsaauunwd8.jpg

paintspray
P1030147_zpsxwwacnqc.jpg

With a good coat of primer
P1030149_zpstnsq58kn.jpg

P1030151_zpsg1cr3nng.jpg

Kind regards, Kees

Edited by kees de mol

Your canvas is coming together nicely Kees, very narrow in the beams compared to the KW 88, from some distance I have seen a lot of new builds coming together in the Visser Shipyard in Den Helder, they built quite similar to Maaskant I guess, for Kattekers Maaskant was the prefered ship yard?

Edited by Jan B.

for Kattekers Maaskant was the prefered ship yard?

Yes Maaskant it had to be! Nice that you know how they call us, Kattukkers. De KW88 is the ex UK153. Casco build in Poland and finished at Maaskant.

Looking great Kees and all powered up too!

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

... and I'm already looking forward to the KW-88.  :)

Yes me too! This week I will recieve drawings and photo's so maybe I will start a new topic to introduce the ship soon.

Kind regards, Kees

awesome progress Kees...fore deck and outer hull work is phenomenal!   I'm truly enjoying your scratch techniques :)   so......does this mean that there could be two builds in your dry docks?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

so......does this mean that there could be two builds in your dry docks?

No only one ship at a time. First I will finish the KW49 and then I will start building the KW88 Pelikaan. Only searching for photo's and drawings now.

Edited by kees de mol

These are the last pictures before painting with the airbrush. I special love the first picture because with all the parts on the table it really looks like a modelkit.

Modelkit. Anyone knows the brand? All the piece apart is very handy when you paint them. No masking needed.
P1030158_zpswn3tdvnd.jpg

Here al the parts together for a nice snapshot. Very proud of what I have accomplished. Started with some bits and pieces and now I have a complete ship.
P1030159_zpsnsqeyjzo.jpg

P1030160_zpspyuwmx63.jpg

Now on with the painting and maybe the next update I can show you some collours.

Regards, Kees

Edited by kees de mol

I agree......the way you made the hull alone, is a stroke of genius.   precision is evident from bow to stern.......yes sir.......you be darn proud of what you've built.....hey!   I'm proud just watching you!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You have all the right to be proud of what you have accomplished.  She's a very handsome vessel and I picked up a lot of good ideas, just hope I can remember it all and find my notes back.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

You've set a new level for scratch building in plastic Kees. Schitterend, truly magnificent, wunderbar, magnifique ... I'm almost sorry to see it end ... Lucky us you've a new project ready :D

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hello saillors! :cheers:

A little photo of the baseplate I made for the Antje. I think you will all be glad if I tell you its  made of wood... not plastic. I got a nice peace of oakwood for free and I rubbed some oil on it. The model stands on two inox stansions. I like the wood very much.

P1030164_zpsbrnv51lg.jpg

And the next thing. If you build a ship from the sixtys the biggest problems occur when you are ready for painting. Because then you have to ask yourself wich colours you need. Well the only colourpicture I have is the pic below. (its the ship in the back unfortunately)

11075234_527778134028725_667604110713907

That doesnt help me a lot. But you can see the wheelhouse is green, not white anymore. To find out what colours I needed I made colourcards wich I showed to some old saillors. They helped me to pick a colourmixture for all the components

P1030153_zpsisiubo0e.jpg

P1030167_zpsvl1n04x6.jpg

Today I started painting the hull red. It was a drama! I got a cracked effect and had no idea what was the cause. I made teststrips with the primers I used and the primers apart and a clean peace. I found out it was not the primer but the paint itself and aftes some more tests I found out the airbrush thinner was the problem. Very strange because I used the right thinner and both the thinner and the paint were the same brand. Tommorow I will start painting again and hopefully without any more problems.

Kind regards, Kees

Edited by kees de mol

Kees,

It could be the thinner reacting on your primer ... not the paint. Way to go to ask sailors for colour information, for on that picture I only could see black, ochre (yellowish), light green, and white ... The deck would be impossible to devine, same for the bulkheads. Have a steady hand with the airbrush! Looking forward to a colourful result ;)

Edited by cog

Carl

Hello builders!

I found out its really the thinner. After Carls message I tried it on a piece of plasticard with no paint or primer on it and it gave the same messed up result. Now I tried a piece without primer and sprayed it with paint mixed with water and ther was no problem.

Today I ordered some Isoprophyl alcohol. They say this is the correct stuff to thin Valejjo so I will try it.

Regards, Kees

I've heard of adding alcohol ti the paint.......enables it to dry faster as well.  you'll get past this small wrinkle....I've no doubt  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye, I betcha he's past the point of no return already ... if I'm not far a miss ... :D  Should have recalled that alcohol bit to ... :huh: used it meself ... dunno if Vallejo paints can be diluted with it though ...

Carl