Ian B

ship models of damaged/wrecked

Purely out of interest has anyone made their model represent the ship immediately after a battle/ship wreck?

I was just day dreaming about the number of models of Victory on here and made over the years and thought how cool would it be to have made the model showing the immediate aftermath of the Battle of Trafalgar. I have seen painting of the ship in various states of damage and there are lots of written references to how she was hit during the battle so just wondered if it had been done? .... 

I have a model of a 32 gun frigate after it took a full broadside from a cat.

Seriously,  I have seen a few in the plastic arena that depicted battle damage but nothing to the extend of missing spars and masts.  A wooden model can be a fun challenge to get the splintering and  fragmentation of the wood to look scale. 

Interesting idea but sounds like a lot of work and research and you could finish with a disaster me thinks

"I was just day dreaming about…"   this sounds like you have just designed your next build.

I say do the research and go for it.   If you build it we will watch…. at least I will!

Sounds very intriguing.

Edited by lamarvalley

I haven't, but I found some pics of a diorama of the Macedonian and the United States called "Striking Her Colors" on an auction site a while back...

post-961-0-19069700-1414071861_thumb.jpg  post-961-0-92774200-1414071931_thumb.jpg 

This caught my eye because of my interest in Macedonian, but also such models of sailing subject are relatively rare compared to WWII subjects - or so it seems to me.

Thanks for the comments, it is as you have said many a plastic model thing and it was the 'warspite' diorama thread on here that set me off., I am far to new to this hobby to experiment yet but perhaps one day- a lightly damaged frigate with frayed and shredded sails with cannon ball holes in them and perhaps one of the upper masts hanging...simulate smoke damage etc.  nothing to extreme...just enough to make people stop and take a second look..

The Wisconsin Maritime Museum in Manitowoc, WI has a great shipwreck model of the Edmund Fitzgerald on display.  It was originally made following the initial USCG inquiry into the cause of the wreck by the artist that was hired to make illustrations for the inquiry from video footage shot by ROV's.  It is made from heavy watercolor paper and the frames and hull plating were formed to take on the curves and bending of the damage.  Subsequent dives have shown some inaccuracies of the wreck as depicted in this model but nothing that detracts from its original use or its current worth as a display model.  An interesting display feature of the model is an overhead light shining down on the case with a revolving rippled blue filter that makes it look as though the overhead waves are causing the ripple effect you see when looking at the model though at 629 feet deep there is actually zero light.  The light was turned off to take these photos.

Kurt

post-177-0-36801200-1414075150_thumb.jpg

post-177-0-84625900-1414075167_thumb.jpg

post-177-0-43584100-1414075176_thumb.jpg

post-177-0-85043600-1414075185_thumb.jpg

Sheperd Paine (well known in the plastics and figure modeling world) built a diorama of the Bonhomme Richard in the aftermath of her battle with the Serapis. It is in the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. 

post-11003-0-76067600-1414075590_thumb.jpg

post-11003-0-13617000-1414075595_thumb.jpg

The Wisconsin Maritime Museum in Manitowoc, WI has a great shipwreck model of the Edmund Fitzgerald on display. 

Kurt

That is really well done.  Unfortunately, now I can't get Gordon Lightfoot out of my head... :huh:

Funny you should mention it. It's been a long time goal of mine, after seeing a painting of HMS Victory after Trafalgar, to do a model of it. So many ideas, so little time . . .