Rock/Sugar Maple this is certainly the case, and fortunately this is the species usually sold by lumber dealers.  Well worth using.

Water/Soft Maple is another thing altogether.  Not nearly as hard and can be brittle.  No data here on what other species of Maple are like.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I'm wondering if it's silver maple?   Hard, almost pure white.  Has been used as a substitute for holly.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have used a fair bit of maple from CMB and although i have nothing to compare it to i found it a a nice wood to work with  . Like all wood order a bit extra as there will be slight variations in color ,texture etc . Seems to hold an edge well and is relatively easily bent and  although i only used 0.5 for my final planking between wales i found it easier to work with than the cherry i was also using . 

I planked the underside of my SOTS in 4mm by 2mm maple from CMB.Yes it is hard and does like to dull cutting edges,however it is durable,especially compared to lime.I ordered more than necessary because you do get some strips with a wacky grain pattern that would not look right on a model.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thanks for the info shihawk, yes that was indeed what I meant by fingernail test :)

Nigel, thanks for chiming in with regards to the durability of maple and beautiful planking work on your SOS Sir, from my observation, it seems that CMBs Maple more or less has the same color as lime B)

Not sure where you are from but there is a large variety of maple here in the U.S. midwestern states. Maple is always included in the list of hardwoods. Good for furniture, cabinetry, and paneled doors. Silver Maple here is a very soft white wood, as trees were used extensively to line neighborhood streets in the 50's through the 70's because it grows relatively fast and provides alot of shade.

When I start my POF project, I will be using Maple. I love to work with it.

Sincere Regards,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L