Mary Rose 1545 by tarbrush - Scale 1:72

John, I just read through your build log. What impressive work! That photo of the bow section pointing skyward is very cool. That must give quite a sense of satisfaction to build something like that from scratch. I'll be following your build with interest.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Thanks for your compliment Steve, I have been enjoying your Shenandoah build as well! 

I also really like your the quote in your signature. 

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

At last the framing is pretty much done.  The three hull segments come apart and go back together in the framing jig.  Next step detailing the interior of the mid-ship section

post-769-0-46588200-1425781814_thumb.jpg

post-769-0-53116300-1425781881_thumb.jpg

John

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

Very nice, John.

Just wondering - will you always have the three parts detachable so that you can view the interior from the front and back?  Probably not, I'd guess because that spell real problems for the masts and rigging.  Would be pretty cool, though, if you were able to achieve it!

Cheers

Patrick

thanks Patrick, that would be cool to have the sections detachable.  My plan is  to join the three segments after I get some of the internal structure shaped, the riders and hanging knees especially.

John

Looks beautiful, John. Are those 3 sections pretty rigid and strong? I'm curious as to how you faired the frames--did you bevel them before you installed them? Newbie questions, I know.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Hi Steve, the bow and stern sections are pretty strong.  The mid-ship portion is now.  I spent some time today gluing extra battens to the frames to make sure it's strong and won't shift while I am working on the interior.  It's important that it not shift around at all while I am working on the insides or it might not fit back in the framing jig to join the three sections together. 

For beveling the frames I did a rough shaping of them first but the final sanding  won't be done till the sections are joined together. 

post-769-0-61000000-1425957437_thumb.jpg

post-769-0-69996100-1425957468_thumb.jpg

John

Hi John,

Amazing work...can't wait to see how you detail the interior!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Thanks John. I was just looking back at the photo of the three hull sections in your post #65, viewed from the top. It's very interesting how sharp the bow of the Mary Rose was. I wouldn't have expected that, but then, I don't have much experience on which to base expectations. I wonder if that was common in that day.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Hi John

What plans are you using for your build and interior details?  I have been building the Jotika 1/80 Mary Rose kit and having Rick laser cut me a 1/48 enlarged version. I have all of the Mary Roses trust books and other books for my builds.

I would like to get a set of plans that you are using. Maybe they have details that my library that I have now on the Mary Rose desn't have. Sent me a PM on getting the plans.

Your frames and progress looks great. I am working on my Panart 1/47 Royal Caroline until Rick gets me the decks for my 1/48 laser cut short kit that he has been working on and cutting for me. I also am working on the 1/80 Caldercraft Mary Rose kit.

Keith

Steve, I know I was surprised too at how fine the lines of Mary Rose are.  Look at the lines drawing on page one of my log. 

Keith, the plans I am using were drawn by David Meagher and I believe they are still available from Taubman through Loyalhanna.  Try this link:

http://www.taubmansonline.com/

I have a photo of each sheet on page one of my build log.  will pm you with more info.

John

thanks JK Lee,  I will keep you posted on how the re-assembly goes. :)   I am not expecting to have problems but you never know.

John

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I thought I should give an explanation of what happened rather than just disappearing.  My Mary Rose project in on hold now for an indefinite period.  Sometime in March I fell on ice and hit my head hard on my cement driveway.  Now after 3 weeks in the hospital and 2 brain surgeries later I am home recuperating.  I start physical therapy this week to try and recover my fine motor skills.  Hope to be back in the saddle eventually but it may be several months away.

john

John

John,

I'm sorry to hear that.  I hope and pray you have a full recovery. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

As Mark...hope n pray you have a good recovery.

Mario

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

OMG

just goes to show you never know what tomorrow will bring

Praying all your tomorrows are exponentially better

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Thank you all, Mark Taylor, Mark Tiedens, Jan, Druxey, Mario, and AON,  As you said life can turn upside down on you in a heartbeat doing the silliest little thing.  it's scary how fragile these old bodies are!

John

John, sorry to hear about the accident. Life does get in the way of the important things like modelling, doesn't it? I hope you have a full and satisfctory recovery.

Steven

Thank you Steven, Keith and Nigel.  I go for my first physical therapy tomorrow.  Today I am working on coloring a cardboard pirate ship with colored pencils.  It's just the right amount of difficulty for me at the moment. :)

John