Bounty Launch by jburchfield1 - Model Shipways - 1:16 - SMALL - 2nd build

Nice build so far, I like the chest.  Have to remember to do rope handles if I ever do a ship with a chest.

fairing, as I've read in different books, should follow the natural lay of the planking.  It's part of the use of placing batons, to get a 'feel' for the planking lay.

Current Build Log(s):

-Swift Virginia Pilot Boat 1805- Artesania Latina 1985 no sails kit.  My first wooden ship build.

Carrack - Woodkrafter Kits

Completed Build Log(s):

-Pirate Ship- Woodkrafter Kits Ship in a Bottle - First ship in a bottle kit build.

-The Secret Revealed Boat in a Bottle Kit- Authentic Models - Ship In Bottle

On the Shelf to build:

- Build a Ship in a Bottle Kit - Authentic Models

- The Chesapeake Bay Flattie - Midwest Products

- Armistad 1832 - Serial Modellbau

- San Gabriele 1497 - Serial Modellbau

- Clara May English Ketch - Artesania Latina

- Santa Maria - Scientific

- Margaretha - Tris Model

- Paranzella - Tris Model

Capt Steve - A is the way I have faired as well.  I don't see how I could have gotten form 3 too low since I made sure to bridge at least 3 forms when fairing.  I also used a batten across the forms while fairing and it appeared to be accurate.  

Grimber - The lay of the plank, at least to this new builder, would be more like B in my opinion.  Please correct if I'm wrong.

Another possibility, maybe even more likely, is that I pushed one of the lower planks too far forward causing a small "crimp" that, while I didn't notice, lifted the plank off of form 3 at the curve.  Then as I progressed, I compounded the problem by making each plank line up with the one below it.

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

Oh, BTW, Grimber - I can't take credit for the rope handles.  That's the way it was done on the picture on the box.  Just followed somebody else.  Probably Bob Crane, since it's his kit design.

Well, to fix the problem (I hope), I decided to remove the last 4 planks on the starboard side and redo them.  Cutting new ones by hand since a couple of them split.  It only happened on the one side (starboard).  I looked at it real, real close today and the port side is fine, so maybe not as bad as I feared.

I've GOT to learn to take more time with this fairing thing and pay CLOSER attention to how the planks are going to run!!!!!!!!  :angry:

Well, don't have a picture right now.  Dropped the camera and the focus won't work right.

However, I have completed the planking.  Looks ok, got a few small "cracks" that I'm gonna try to fill with either stainable wood putty (if there is such a thing), or maybe stained sawdust mixed with glue.  May end up having to paint the outside and leave the inside natural.  We'll see.

Meanwhile, working on the tween? frames.

Pictures as soon as I can.

Well, this picture is not very good, it was taken from a cell phone, but it shows that I'm still plugging away, currently working on the thwart risers.

post-12441-0-93082700-1417216346_thumb.jpg

BUT, I've got a small problem that I know others have encountered.

The sheer apparently spread apart when I removed it from the form and some of the thwarts are too short.  Should I make new ones from scratch or try to squeeze the sheer together to make the kit thwarts work?

The dreaded Short Thwart Syndrome ....

Maybe I just got lucky and did not have to experience the effects of this terrible affliction, but, as you mentioned, many others have.

My first suggestion (and bear in mind that, as it didn't happen to me, I can't be certain this will work) would be to fit the gunwales first. My thinking is that this may help pull your spreading sheer back into correct alignment.

Failing that, maybe fashioning new thwarts that actually fit would be the way to go.

.... or, you could try what I did. That is, fit the thwarts on the under-side of the thwart-riser. They do not need to be quite as long if doing it this way.

Otherwise, you're doing a fantastic job, Pops. She's really starting to take shape now !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thanks both,

I got the thwart risers, main mast step, and winch keepers in today.

I was sorta playing with the bow grate, foremast thwart and foremast step in preparation for tomorrow and realized that I'm going to have to try squeezing things together a little bit to get the bow grate to fit properly.  Definitely don't want to have to try to remake that bad boy - not that talented yet.

So here's hoping that nothing cracks/breaks or anything else goes horribly wrong.  

Going shopping tomorrow - I'm wanting to try that poly/stain combination product (MinWax) I saw at Lowes.  Will definitely be testing on scrap but, if that stuff looks OK, then that could solve my issues with glue spots.  Also want to look into some "stainable" wood filler.

Well, more later.  Hopefully some quality images soon.  I'm waiting on a memory card for my camera.

Well, still don't have the mem card for my new camera so no pictures yet.  (Boring huh?)  :(

But still working.  I've gotten the thwart risers, winch keepers, and main floor in.  Will be installing the gunnel tomorrow and I have the thwarts ready to install.  And just about have the quarter deck ready for installation.

But I'm in a quandry............  

I know not too many people are watching this build, but I'm trying to decide if I should create and install the winch and the crane booms as it would have been while still on the Bounty.

I know most people are not doing that - but this is to be auctioned and maybe the winch and crane would provide more interest?  It would also give me more of a chance to "scratch" a couple of parts for the experience.

What do you guys think?  Winch/Crane  Yes or No?  Yeah, I know, it's my boat, do what I want, but I'm not really sure therefore this request for advice.

POPS,

It would add a nice detail to your boat here. Plus as you say gives you a chance to scratch build some items. I did not add it to my launch as i did not add the bowsprit either. The bowsprit shows in Mckay's book. The reason for my decision was I followed Bligh's log. Since there is really no information on the launch. By reading his log, I picked up some hints as to what the boat might have looked like. He was there, he should of known.

Mario

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Pops,

Go for it !! 

As you would know, the MS kit does not include any parts for these, but your plans do detail them adequately for you to build them.

The winch and crane are not done by most people, primarily because it is widely assumed (due to 19 people on board and no mention of its' inclusion onboard in Bligh's log) that they were removed during the mutiny.

So I say, scratch away !! 

:dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

• 2 weeks later...

K, well it's been awhile and this "new" camera is crap, but here's a couple of shots.  Gonna go find me a camera that can take closeups.  You guys can't help me fix the flaws if you can't see them.

1st  Here's a shot of the bow

post-12441-0-56827900-1418689135_thumb.jpg

2nd a shot of the hull

post-12441-0-84610500-1418689156_thumb.jpg

And last, a shot of the crane assembly.  This had to be done 3 times before I got something I could live with and I still need to make the two braces that go from the backrest to the thwart in front of the crane.  Also, don't know if you can see it, but I trenailed the poop deck (correct?) and the floorboards.  Not sure yet if I'm gonna try to do the hull proper.

post-12441-0-12518800-1418689269_thumb.jpg

I'm just about done with the 2nd winch.  Didn't do so well on the first one, but this one's pretty good. Once that done I'll be ready to get all the thwarts and the bow grate installed.

Getting there.

Pops. That looks really, really good.

Great job !!!

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Tks for all the "likes" guys/gals.

Didn't take any pictures of today's progress 'cause of that crappy camera.   Gonna go hunting for a better one at some pawn shops later this week.

But anyway, I finished those two braces for the crane that run from the backrest to the thwart just in front of the crane.  Can't finish the winch until I get the miniature chisels I ordered from MicroMart (along with some miniature wood rasps and a handle which shipped today).

Speaking of which, does anyone know if there is enough of the heavier line that comes with the kit to allow for installation of the crane or am I gonna have to order some more?

Also, got both of the mast partners done and installed on the appropriate thwart, all of the belaying pins are now installed, and I remade the bow thwart because of a couple of issues - 1) the thwart was about 1/8" too narrow.  This was probably because of improper installation/location of the fore mast step (that's my boo boo) which allowed the mast to lean too far forward.  2) I also noticed that the laser cutout for the fore mast was too large.  It actually fit the main mast perfectly and the fore mast is 1/16" smaller, so I figured the extra 1/8" width on the thwart was an acceptable compromise.  It's not really that noticeable when all parts are in place. 

I'm hoping to finish the trenailing for the floor boards tomorrow (I'm using a .5 millimeter mechanical pencil pushed into the board as a trenail substitute - that scales to about 1.5 inches if my math is correct) and damaged it so bad it won't work anymore - gotta get a couple more of those tomorrow.  After that I can install ALL of the thwarts and start working on the masts.

I'm not overly fond of the open sail look, so I'm gonna TRY to do this with the sails furled, but that's for later.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't find an example on here of anyone who installed the crane and I have a HUGE issue that I need to resolve.

If anyone knows of an example build here and can point me to it, it would be much appreciated, if not maybe some one has an answer for this problem.

I've built the launch with the crane installed.  Didn't think far enough ahead and although I have it installed centered on the transom, the rudder should also center on the transom which would put the top of the rudder between the "arms" of the crane and the rope would pass directly "through" the tiller and the top of the rudder.  

Maybe the crane should have extended further past the transom to allow the top of the rudder to pass through the crane, or maybe, just maybe, they would have unshipped the rudder when using the crane?  The reason I think that the latter may be the case is that the rope from the winch to the crane would pass right through where the tiller/top of the rudder would be if the rudder were installed.

Somebody PLEASE tell me that the rudder would be un-shipped and steering would be done with the oars when using the crane????  But only if that's true.  If this is the case, then I will build the gudgeons/pintles/rudder, but just place the rudder (with the tiller attached) inside the boat.

Thanks David, but no, currently no plans for figures.

As much as I would like to add at least a few (for interest-since this is going to Sawdust Dave's auction) that's an area (figures) where my "skills" are lacking.  That's why I decided to add the crane/winch was to give it more interest.

I may do some searching on the web to see if I can find some ready made/modifiable figures but currently have no plans to add them.

Pops,

I found these two pics ...

post-675-0-03257100-1418893068.jpg

post-675-0-73145400-1418893078.jpg

Hope they help with your conundrum !!!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Tks Capt Steve.

I did find another pick on Keith W's launch build showing the rudder as being unshipped with the crane installed but in that case the launch was installed on the Bounty itself.

It "appears" in those photos that the rudder is unshipped also.

Think that's the way I'm gonna go.  I'll build the rudder/tiller and add the gudgeons/pintles but place the rudder assembly inside the launch.

Or is the rudder shipped but the tiller is unshipped? To me it looks like the top of the rudder is between the crane extensions, but the tiller is not there. Either way will work, though.

Well, Tom, that would be an option if I had thought far enough ahead.

As it is, though, the crane does not extend far enough past the transom to allow the rudder to pass through.  I would have to rebuild at least part of the crane (I could cut it off even with the braces and then make the new part longer) but as it is, I think I'll just leave the rudder unshipped and place it next to the crane inside the boat.  

I AM going to put the gudgeons/pintles where they belong so that it looks as if the rudder could just be lifted into place.

Or is the rudder shipped but the tiller is unshipped? To me it looks like the top of the rudder is between the crane extensions, but the tiller is not there. Either way will work, though.

I think UTS is right.

After reading Tom's post, I took another look at the second picture.

And I do believe the tiller is there ... on the floor just near the boat-hook.

post-675-0-12536600-1418984696.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I too am in the process of adding the stern crane and searched high and low for this same information. Thanks to everyone's comments and photos, it's a great help to my progress.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Your winch looks great. I chose to laminate multiple pieces if 1/32 stock into a falf circle jig, once it was set, I cut in half to have two identical sides. Then I clamped them together and drilled all necessary holes to be square and consistent.

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Capt Steve - after looking at those pictures again, the 1st one does seem to show the rudder shipped with the tiller unshipped.  Not sure about the second one since it doesn't quite go far enough astern to be sure.

Tks Mattsayers148.  I just purchased a sheet of 1/8" to cut the two beams and the braces from.  

THANK YOU robin b - you just justified my decision to leave the rudder unshipped.  The only other fix would have been to either disassemble the aft section to rebuild the entire crane (allowing it to protrude aft enough to let the rudder come through) and since I already built it 3 times I didn't really want to do that OR cut the crane in half at the thwart braces which would have resulted in a seam.

I am going to add the gudgeons and pintles on both pieces (hull and rudder) and will attach the tiller to the rudder, then place(glue) the rudder into the rear section just to the side of the crane.  The reason for doing the crane/winch was to add more interest to the interior of the boat - and placing the rudder into the boat will add even more interest and make the boat appear to be "working" - which was my ultimate goal.

I've also decided that I'm going to furl the sails, to justify the rudder being unshipped since they would be "steering" with the oars I believe.

Hello Pops, well I finally got my buildlog up and running. I think I'm done with my crane for now and off to the windlass. I'm looking forward to seeing your rendition, Matt.

Just looked at your post Matt.

Excellent work   :D

My crane looks pretty much as yours, although not nearly as good a job.

Hey Pops, thanks for the encouragement, I think both cranes look awesome! I posted to my build log photos of how I made those little handle things. A lot of the models I've been working on end up shifting gears as I work on them, like the crane, an afterthought because I couldn't find an example of one, I had to do it. Once you get the camera I'd really like to see some close-ups. Great job, Matt.