Bounty Launch by jburchfield1 - Model Shipways - 1:16 - SMALL - 2nd build

Bet you guys thought I was gone.  Sorry, still here.

Haven't been able to post any pics - still looking for a camera.  Don't want to buy one that can't take close-up shots and have to find one in my price range (cheap).

But, I'm still working on the boat.

I've gotten all the thwarts in, as well as the oar locks.  The crane and winch/windlass are finished, including the handles.  Was working on the gudgeons/pintles and found that super glue really doesn't hold that well, so I've ordered a pencil torch, silver solder, and 3rd hand.  Gonna learn to silver solder.  Meantime I'm working on the oars, masts, and spars.

I promise to get some pics just as soon as I can.

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

Lookin forward to seeing how your boats comeing along. I'm sure it looks great Pops.

Matt

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

I was just looking at the anchor with this boat and realized that it's the same size as the anchor on the Longboat by Chuck.

It really really looks too small for this boat.

Am I crazy, or just mistaken, or is it too small?

BTW got my rope from Chuck today, and it's awesome stuff.  And the service was phenomenal.  I ordered it on Dec 23, and got it today.  That's AMAZING considering Christmas was in the middle.

I was just looking at the anchor with this boat and realized that it's the same size as the anchor on the Longboat by Chuck.

It really really looks too small for this boat.

Am I crazy, or just mistaken, or is it too small?

I couldn't agree more, Pops !! If you check Plan Sheet 5, there is a drawing of a grapnel anchor. From memory, I think the haft was 26mm.

Personally, I will be ditching mine and going with something more like this.

Also, don't forget that they lost a fluke off the grapnel at one point (3rd May, 1789).

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hey Pops,

So how's your build going? Let me know how your anchor is going. I got sidetracked on the oars and it'll be a few days before I get them done, then I can go to the next item.

Have you found a camera yet?

Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

The build is going kinda slow right now, Matt.

I decided that super glue just wasn't strong enough for the brass to brass gudgeons/pintles.  Ordered a pencil torch, solder, 3rd hand that kind of stuff.  Got everything but the silver solder, due next week.

I'm also working on the oars right now.  Wishing I could find a way to use "power" on them, but by hand seems to be the best way.  I've got 6 shaped but not yet wrapped.  I'm not doing that fancy thing you did, just gonna do a single, straight wrap.

Unfortunately, no, I've not found a camera yet.  I don't really know what kind I'm looking for, (other than macro capability) and I've been doing research on what kind of point/shoot camera can do a decent close up.  Can't afford much so I'm hoping to find something used for under $100.00

Been watching your build tho.  I also ordered that collection of small brass bit/tubes so I can try to build a new anchor.  This one just seems to small for this particular boat.

Hey Pops,

I don't know much about cameras, but I got this one a couple years back for under $100, I think at Home Depot. I don't use it much since my whole internet world is through my iphone. It seems to take pretty good pics, it's my all-in-one computer on the go(I don't even have a computer, not a great fan of technology).

The oars, hand sanded mine an it seems like more comes off than stays on! The finished product seemed too fragile for turning.

I haven't soldered anything on my builds yet, so this anchor will give me an excuse to bust it out.

Matt

post-17116-0-70664800-1420379374_thumb.jpg

Since your hinges will be blackened you could use a silver bearing solder like Stay-silv.  It melts at low temps and can be blackened.  I use it every now and then when I d not want to silver solder.   Just have to clean up the pat afterwords with a file.

David B

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just to let you guys know I'm still here.

Pics soon, got my camera, just need to learn to use it well enough to get close-ups.  Nothing fancy, just a pawn shop buy.

Still working.  All my oars are done, but look nothing at all like Matt's.  Just oars with a plain, rope wrap.

Also, got all my soldering stuff.  Took me a couple of days to learn not to use too much solder (used to soldering copper pipes) and have the hinges for the rudder 'bout half done.

Should be starting the masts/spars this weekend, so getting closer.

Pics real soon.

I've been thinking about my oars, too, as something to do in between waiting for soaked planks to dry. There's a nice diagram on p.145 of Roth's Ship Modelling from Stem to Stern that gives the "proper" ratios of different parts of the oar relative to the beam of the boat they're used in. Can't seem to find a version online. It's a nice chapter on small boats in general.

Hey Pops, that's great you got a camera. I bet your oars look perfect. I just did the "crazy" oars. Now all I need is a coffee pot on board.

Matt