ROYAL CAROLINE by Doris - CARD - 1749 -1:40

Doris,

I'm not usually a fan of figures on ship models but yours complement the model perfectly. May I ask how you made them (or where you purchased them)?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Wow Doris! Your models are fantastic! I've never seen models built this way and I must say they are stunning.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

I have just finished going through the entire post and I am facinated that you are able to produce  such an awsom model with bits paper, card, clay and paint. We have several card modlers in our group and I can not wait to show them this posting. I have printed out a couple of pictures of you somewhat completed Caroline to show it to them.  Do you plan on rigging her?  I Look foward to your future work

Guy

The Learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

Doris - I have been a fan for a long time. When you first started to post your models and talked about them being out of paper. I had never heard of paper models. I have since come to understand what a wonderful hobby it is and that you are one of the finest at that craft. Today I finally got my wife to sit thru this whole build log. She also finds your work unbelieveable. She has asked me to tell you that you are a real artist. I look forward to seeing the RC fully rigged. Thank you for sharing with us.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Doris,

I want to say something again but every word that I write gives not the expression that I want.

I just sit here and enjoy your work.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hello dear friends!

I am very honoured you like my work, thank you very much for your comments, I appreciate them a lot.

Hello Doris,

Just fantastic! Thank you.
I'm really looking forward to your work on the interior with the decorated furniture.

Take care,

AnjaHello Anja, I have just started with decoration and furniture, soon I will bring some pics.

Hello Anja,

I have just started with decoration and furniture, soon I will bring some pics.

Kind greetings to you and your husband.

Hello Doris,

how you manage the clean surface that looks like real wood?
I know that it's carton, but it just looks fantastic.
I admire your great work.

Hello Johann,
I use special foils with wooden look for finishing the surface. I work with these self-adhesive foils for many years and I am very satisfied with the durability and unchanging shape and colour.

For example:

http://www.fototapety.cz/4174-imitace-dreva-d-c-fix/

http://www.tapety-folie.cz/samolepici-tapety/drevo/c-2757/

Doris,

I'm not usually a fan of figures on ship models but yours complement the model perfectly. May I ask how you made them (or where you purchased them)?

Hello Greg,
I often create some crew members for size ratio of the ship and also try to make realistic clothes from that period. All these figures are hand-made from clay and some of them are created according to real people i know. I am going to bring another video- tutorial, how to make these figures.

I have just finished going through the entire post and I am facinated that you are able to produce  such an awsom model with bits paper, card, clay and paint. We have several card modlers in our group and I can not wait to show them this posting. I have printed out a couple of pictures of you somewhat completed Caroline to show it to them.  Do you plan on rigging her?  I Look foward to your future work

Guy

The Learner

Thank you, I am pleased and honoured.

Of course, I plan to make full rigging on Caroline. I like that work and prefer complete sailing ships with rigging and sails, it gives a monumental appearance.

Doris - I have been a fan for a long time. When you first started to post your models and talked about them being out of paper. I had never heard of paper models. I have since come to understand what a wonderful hobby it is and that you are one of the finest at that craft. Today I finally got my wife to sit thru this whole build log. She also finds your work unbelieveable. She has asked me to tell you that you are a real artist. I look forward to seeing the RC fully rigged. Thank you for sharing with us.

Hello Floyd,
I make paper models for many years, I have started when I was only six years old. There are still some things, I should improve at my work, but I make models for joy and relax and like to share them with my friends.
Kind greetings to you and your wife.

really fantastic.
thank you very much for the way you work.
My wife is also a big fan of his.
soon try to do something with fimo polymer clay.
a greeting.
cabrapente

Hello cabrapente,
the work with clay is enjoyable and after training it is no problem to create anything you like.
Best regards,
Doris

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

Hello Doris

Absolutely marvelous work! I feel privileged to watch a true artisan at work. Thank you.

I had a look at your finished models and I’m stunned again.

Questions: What material do you use for the sails – paper or fabric? And how do you the make the sails – are you painting and gluing or sewing?

Cheers

Peter

Thank you for your comments, dear friends, your words mean a lot to me, I am very honoured and have a great motivation to work.

About diodes:

I use common LED orange-yellow colour. There are two types of LED - brighter/strongly luminous (used in interior of cabins) and classic with normal luminosity (used in lanterns and outside parts of the model). Inside the model Royal Caroline there are four separate electrical circuits, each one has 2 or 3 LED connected in series with resistor before first LED (+).

Kind regards,

Doris

Hello Doris.
I love your work.
already got the clay. soon try some figure.
but looking diodes, found these, you do not need strength.
run on a button battery.
thank you very much for eneñarnos another way to build beautiful boats.
a greeting.
cabrapente.

post-407-0-65788900-1363734158.jpg

post-407-0-69654700-1363734160.jpg

Hi Doris,

I just came across your build. Fabulous work! I see in your pictures how you built this from card, but it looks exactly like a wooden model in the end. Exceptional craftsmanship.

Mark

Hello Doris,

perhaps you can't hear any more compliments, but this is absolutely great! I saw your Victory and your Sovereign and now the Caroline und i must say that your skill becomes better and better!

Good luck,

Hartmut.

What is "Card" and where does one get it?

Current Build:

La Nina, Latina - Wood / 1:65

On The Shelf:

San Francisco II, Latina - Wood 1/90,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic  / 1:96 (Remake),     H.M.S. Bounty, Latina - Wood / 1:48,     H.M.S. /Mayflower, Latina - Wood / 1:64,     La Pinta, Latina, Latina - Wood / 1:65,     La Santa Maria, Latina - Wood / 1:65,

Completed:

San Francisco / Cross Section, Latina - Wood / 1:50,     Coastal Submarine, Revell - Plastic / 1:144,     Cutty Sark Wall Plaque, Revell - Plastic / 1:50,     H.M.S. Victory, Revell - Plastic / 1:146,

H.M.S. Bounty, Constructo - Wood / 1:50,     Oseberg, Billings Boats - Wood / 1:25,     Clipper Ship (Sea Witch), Unknown - Wood / 1:46,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic / 1:96,    

Man Of War, Scientific - Wood / 1:50,     Robert E. Lee, Scientific - Wood / 1:45,     PT-109, Revell - Plastic / 1:72,     U.S.S. Enterprise, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,    

R.M.S. Titanic, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,     Numerous other wooded tall ships and boats from companies named: Ideal, Dumas, Pyro.

Hello dear friends!
Thank you very much for your comments and praise, I feel privileged to be here together with you and appreciate it a lot. Thank you also for watching my build.

Hello Doris

Absolutely marvelous work! I feel privileged to watch a true artisan at work. Thank you.

I had a look at your finished models and I’m stunned again.

Questions: What material do you use for the sails – paper or fabric? And how do you the make the sails – are you painting and gluing or sewing?

Cheers

Peter

Hello Peter, I use synthetic fabric and after sewing they are painted and impregnated.I will show my procedure again in this thread.

This will go into the anals of modelbuilding as the best Royal Caroline ever.

Jan

Hello Jan, Royal Caroline is at this moment my best card model, I really enjoy the work on her and this is reflected in the result. I know, there are still some things I should make better, but it is important to learn and search new ways how to improve.

What is "Card" and where does one get it?

This is a thick paper, you can find it for example on boxes for packaging....

Kind regards,

Doris

Doris

Current build:

I wish I was small enough to live on your fabulous ship.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

Hello Doris,

this is once again an excellent job.

What color do you use?

Hello Johann,

Thank you for you words. I use Testors enamel:

http://www.modelcars.com/model-master-military-enamel-gold.html

or acrylic spray:

20110216104134-106969-n.jpg

And for patina water-thinned paint from Tamiya (acrylic mini) - flat black, brown, dark copper and gun metal (mixed together with plenty of original Tamiya thinner X-20A).

Kind regards,

Doris

Doris

Current build: