Bomb Vessel Granado Cross Section 1742, 1/48 scale by mobbsie - Finished

First off let me say Hello to all the Lords of the Dark Side, your tolerance will be gratefully accepted.

I would like to give plaudits to Jeff Hayes of Hobbymills for superb quality materials, the timber really is first class, also to Jeff Staudt for a fine set of drawings.

A special thanks to Grant for all his hard work in working out the quantity of timber required and the different types, I just had to make some minor adjustments to the order. Below is a taster of the timber to be used.

post-493-0-56989100-1414855143_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-73506900-1414855166_thumb.jpg

As you are probably aware this is a group project build with Grant, Jack and myself, ( at the moment ), this the first scratch build for all of us apart from prefabricating kits parts that were not happy with and I think we've all done that.   

It would be great if others wanted to join in. We will be working in unison and posting in our own logs and this is the start of my log.

I started by practicing with my tools and would you believe it this framing jig appeared, as this was a practice piece and it didn't count towards the build but on investigation I found I hadn't got any more material I could use and so had to keep it. :rolleyes:  ;)  ;)

post-493-0-64695600-1414853633_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-82487100-1414853663_thumb.jpg

Following on from the jig, I started practicing on the frames themselves and I found out a few things I need to work on, 1st, Don't cut so close to the lines, give your self a bit of room. 2nd, Easy on the sanders, don't put so much pressure when sanding down and 3rd, It doesn't take much to remove the skin from the knuckles with a disc sander, this had been switched of and was slowing down, I helped it stop and found out how good my bandaids are.

I made a double frame but will not be using it, I can and will do better.

post-493-0-81364300-1414854251_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-91762100-1414854314_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-20356800-1414854368_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-62801700-1414854406_thumb.jpg

Following on from that I attempted the Keel, this is made up from 4 pieces, Ebony for the Keel, followed by Swiss Pear for the False Keel Upper and Lower and the Hog. This Keel looks difficult but in reality is quite simple, you just need to be accurate, a rabbet is cut into it when all the pieces are assembled. I was going to use my router for this but there is a deviation 2/3rds along it's length so this had to be cut by hand, I used my trusty Stanley knife carefully, (we have a history) and finished with a triangle file. Below is the completed practice keel

post-493-0-12657200-1414855333_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-00898400-1414855363_thumb.jpg

So, that's the start of my new log, if anyone has any questions please don't be afraid to ask Grant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D  :D

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Jumping right into the front row on this one, since I'm building the Caldercraft kit of the Granado at the moment. 

Great start. Did you loft the frames yourself and what source did you use for the plans!

Really looking forward tot he build Mobbsie!

Edited by Joe V.

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Good luck Tony!!...... looks to be an interesting build.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Joe,

I must apologise for any confusion, I am building the cross section, the heading needs to be changed to reflect that.

The plans came from model ship builders, here is a link http://modelshipbuilder.com/page.php?135

They really are a good set of drawings.

With regard to the frames, they are cut out from the timber billets, I will post a couple of pics to show you.

post-493-0-68202300-1414857981_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-02875100-1414858047_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-21231500-1414858080_thumb.jpg

Best way to go is to copy the original page onto sticky A4 labels, these are then cut and placed onto the wood, a tip gleamed from Grant is to put painters tape on the wood first.

Cut out the frame sections and sand down to just above the lines, position the sections onto the main label, clean up the joints until a snug fit is obtained, when you are happy with the fit glue together using PVA white glue, when dry clean off excess glue and sand down to the lines.

Hope that makes sense Joe.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Ah... seats still available.  Your practice work looks great, Tony.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good to see the log up and running Mobbsie. Don't go doing too much "practice" now, or you'll end up like Rusty's infamous "set-up"! :P;):)

Thanks for the comments guys, and thanks for hitting the like button.

Pull up a pew Mark, your always welcome.

It's going to be an interesting build Frank, more importantly an enjoyable one.

Never mind Dave, you may be able to play catch up, this is going to be a slow build.

Now Grant, I've served in the Army and seen active service, but let me tell you, I would do that all over again rather than cheat and face the wrath of an Ausie Naval Officer, I aint that brave.

Anja, thank you so much for helping out an old man who cant help making mistakes.

Hopefully more updates soon.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

This is going to be awesome - looking forward to following your build Mobbsie!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hey Mobbsie,

I'd like to grab a seat and follow along with the gaggle. I'm jumping into an Echo cross section build soon and need all the examples of any scratchbuilds. Best of luck.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Congratulations Mobbsie!  Great start, I will jump in as soon as my timber arrives.

It is nice to study what you guys are doing before I start making sawdust.

Can't wait to join you and Grant.    :cheers:

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

I'm a little late but I'll be here !

Mark, make room for me please.....

He is all ready started ?????

I will follow those guy's with what they are doing 

Wisch you all a smooth build !

Sjors

Arrr ... count me in !!!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hi Guys,

Mike, glad to have you on board mate, I just hope I am able to full-fill your expectations.

Ken,  your right mate, a few Echo gents are here, hope we are able to assist with useful info mate.

Alan,  now that Sjors has taken a seat mate we do have Popcorn on offer, cos if pies are around I'll likely eat them.

Sjors,  better late than never my friend, I just hope you brought your Popcorn with you.

Captainsteve, welcome aboard me arty.

Hope you enjoy the ride guys, I'm really looking forward to this trip.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Dang - been wicked busy and almost missed this one!  Nice looking "practice" work, Tony!!!

I think I see a seat in the 3rd row near Sjors I'll grab so I can follow along as well.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Hi Wayne,

Hang on mate, I'll get a torch and show you to your seat, bloody dark in here. :D

Good to have you along my friend.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Wow, this log sneaked under my radar...looking very nice so far Mobbsie.  How did you cut out the template, is there a plan for that?

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Jason,

Thanks for looking in mate.

There is no plan for cutting the templates. The plan is copied onto A4 sticky labels and a sharp blade used to cut around each part ( I use a Stanley Knife ). Painters tape is placed on the timber sheet and the template stuck onto that.  The painters tape peels off so much easier and doesn't leave any residue glue.

The frames were cut out using my Proxxon Scroll saw and sanded down with my Belt and Disc sanders.

Hope that helps mate.

Be Good

mobbsie.

mobbsie

Hi Tony, I missed that you finished your Aggy and started this one.  Now that I've found your build I'll definately follow along.  I wish you the best of luck!

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

Hi Guys,

Welcome aboard Wes, glad you could make it mate.

Just a short update, nothing much to show at the moment.

I have completed the proper keel and it fits nicely into the framing jig, the practice piece and the proper one to show that there has been no

Following a discussion with Grant this morning it was decided that we would start on the frames, I decided that I was going to make-up the 0 frame, this is the 5th frame in and is the first double to have the cut outs for the sweep ports and filling lintels. I haven't  made one of these yet.

First up was to copy the template onto a A4 sticky label, cut out the templates and stick onto a prepared sheet 1/4 in Pear. Using my trusty Proxxon Scroll Saw ( which only cuts crooked lines ) I then cut out the parts of the frame, the wedges which are really small have a bit extra left for easy handling.

Next up was to sand down the frame parts, so using my trusty Proxxon Disc Sander ( you know the one, it's got my DNA on it ) I sanded down the outside curve, why just the outside I hear you ask, well I need to get a larger diameter drum sander. Its too easy to wear down a small area with the sander I have and that doesn't make for a pretty frame, so it's a trip down to the DIY shop to try a get hold of one.

I do have a few pics but please don't get excited, this is really work in progress.

The old and the new

post-493-0-19659200-1415551146_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-44740100-1415551167_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-53485400-1415550162_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-03566600-1415550190_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-28608900-1415550367_thumb.jpg

Not much as I say but there will be more to follow, just not tonight. Please ignore the attached thumbnail gents.

Be Good

mobbsie

post-493-0-46278000-1415550329_thumb.jpg

mobbsie

Looks pretty exciting to me!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

puts a case of belgian beer next to the popcorn machine and sits down to watch the show :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Looking good Mobbsie, 

Let me know how you go with the drum sander - my offer stands ;)

I'm going to have another crack at frame D tonight - I'll post pics on completion.

Looking great Mobbsie!  

I am trying hard to finish the Oseberg.  I cannot seem to concentrate on it though.  My mind drifts to the Granado and I have to drag myself back.  

Talk to you soon.

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Mobbsie,

I'll be seeing what you are doing and it seems that you have to do a lot of cutting and sanding.......

It holds you from the street !

Sjors

Hey there Mobbsie.......knew I'd find you sooner or later!  I see your making fine use of all the new power tools :)    did you make the jig from plans?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch