USS Constitution by fletch944t - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76 - 1812 Era

Yesterday and today I worked on the first steps toward modeling the gun deck.

I cut the spar deck framing away from the bulkheads, faired the bulkheads, and test fit them. As previously discussed, this required lowering the height of the false keel and the bottom of the gun deck opening in bulkheads to account for the thickness of the gun deck planking. Since I plan to put down a 1/16" sheet of basswood and then 1/16" planking, this required lowering everything by 1/8" total.

So, I marked a line 1/8" down from the top of the false keel along its entire length and then cut it. I first removed the spar deck framing from the bulkheads. So, the next step was to lower the bottom of the gun deck cutout in the bulkheads by 1/8". If the opening in the bulkheads consistent from port to starboard, you could simply mark a line 1/8" down from the bottom of the opening for your cut. However, this is NOT the case. You have to determine the cuts in the bulkhead measuring out from the centerline of the bulkhead to get the correct shape. I won't go into a drawn out discussion of that here. I can provide it to anyone who needs it.

Here are some pictures of the final bulkheads temporarily installed and the first bulkhead in its final position (fingers crossed and knocking on wood).

post-16296-0-90036200-1419816030_thumb.jpg

post-16296-0-10876500-1419816060_thumb.jpg

post-16296-0-70931800-1419816098_thumb.jpg

Clark Fletcher

Current Build: USS Constitution - Model Shipways - 1812 Era Specs

So far it looks very good. The gundeck will look great when it is fitted out. Nice work.

Russ

Nice work on the framing so far Clark! Doing it this way, it appears you'll be able to fit the sub-deck and plank the whole gun-deck off the ship. Sweet!  You're blazing trails here!  B)

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Clark, I'm glad to see some bulkheads getting to their final resting place. I know from experience that cutting those bulkheads down wasn't a particularly easy task.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Thanks Patrick. My next step will be to begin work on the stern framing similar to what you've done. I'll need to get that in place before I can work on the base for planking the gun deck.

Off all the things necessary to model the gun deck, to me getting the stern framing correct is going to be the most daunting. I suspect that mine will look very similar to what you've done.

Fletch

Clark Fletcher

Great start indeed, Fletch !!

I await work on your stern window configuration eagerly.

Now, I be wondering ... will ye be giving thought to the horseshoe imprinted between the false keel and stem pieces ??

This shows up in most (all??) drawings of Connie in AOTS, and is one detail (of many) about which I remain quite curious.

Also, any plans for internal lighting ??

("Not !!" is perfectly acceptable, just that I thought it pertinent to ask at this point.)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Captain Steve. Have not gotten to the point of deciding how I'm going to handle the work on the stem yet. I've really been too engrossed in figuring out how I'm going to make the stern framing work out.

And yes, I do plan to use internal lighting on the gun deck. I starting looking at options for that several weeks ago. However, I think I'm going to have to order several different sizes of LED bulbs and install them temporarily on the gun deck to determine the actual type, number, and placement I need.

Fletch

Clark Fletcher

Fletch, which window configuration do you plan on using? There are many thoughts on how many are there for 1812. I'd like to see what you come up with for lighting as the electronic aspect of modeling is a not a strong skill for me.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Well Patrick. It's funny you should ask about stern window configuration because I had a bit of an epiphany today (not five minutes ago) related to this.

From the outset, I was convinced that I would use at least a six window configuration (possibly the 8 window configuration you're considering). Most likely though, I would lean toward the six window considering that is how the Hull model appears.

So, as I was working on development of the stern framing today, a light went on. Most likely the number and placement of the stern windows would have been dictated by the stern framing (i.e. windows between each of the stern frames).

That being said, any even numbered window pattern would require a stern frame dead center on the stern. Since this would interfere with both the rudder head and the tiller (rudder head extends up into the Captain's quarters), from a strictly engineering standpoint, it would be impossible to have a stern frame dead center.

The only way around this would have been to put stern frames on either side of dead center and those two frames would have cross-framing to support the center two windows.

Consequently, and again from a strictly engineering standpoint, a five window pattern makes the most sense.

So, to answer your question, I have no idea what I'm going to do - yet.

Fletch

Clark Fletcher

As it happens, I was browsing the Byrnes Model Machine website and went to the "About Us " page and found that Jim's been working on a scratch-built Connie, depicting the 1797, as she was launched, version. So when I talk to him on Thursday, when they return after the New Year, I've already made plans to ask a couple questions about stern configuration and where to obtain whatever plans he's using for his build.
   As for the number of windows, like Fletch, it does make better sense to me to use the 5-window design, and eliminate the need for a lot of extra fabrication.

Cheers and Have a Happy New Year

:cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

In retrospect, when developing the templates for the stern framing, it would have made it much easier had I left the "R" bulkhead uncut until after I had drawn up the stern framing diagrams. Uncut, the "R" bulkhead would have given me a point of reference for the level of the spar deck and I would then be able to use the stern frames provided in the kit to develop the new frames.

With the "R" bulkhead cut down to the gun deck level (minus planking thickness), I still needed a spar deck reference point to get the shape and height of the stern framing correct. So, I constructed temporary spar deck framing on the "R" bulkhead to use as a reference point (first picture below).

Then I started developing the stern frames using a combination of the stern frame pieces provided in the kit with pieces of wood glued to the bottom and then shaped to get the correct configuration. I then used this as a template (second picture below) for cutting the needed frames.

In light of my recent epiphany, I'm now inclined to model a five window stern as opposed to the six or eight window stern. That being said, the frame show in the second picture wouldn't be centered on the false keel as it is in the picture.

post-16296-0-46545900-1419987647_thumb.jpg

post-16296-0-48695600-1419987943_thumb.jpg

Clark Fletcher

Fletch, I too had thought about that stern timber being cut in two when drilling for the rudder. I made the decision to go ahead anyway as the counter planking and window framing should hold everything together nicely when I do it. The planking I've started putting on the counter has been cut to shape rather than bent so there won't be any spring back action when the center stern timber is cut through.

Your R bulkhead looks great and the shape of your stern timber looks good too. Great work.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Fletch, I am glad to see you are going with a five window configuration. I like your logic. I did it to match the Corne painting, but it also meant I could use the supplied transom extensions, with a little modification. I don't feel so alone now.

Today, after finishing fabrication of all of the stern frames, I was pondering how to best attach them to "R" bulkhead and keep everything aligned correctly in the process. I also wanted to make sure that the stern framing was very solid. So, I've decided to take a bit of a different approach to attaching the framing.

One of the things that both Patrick and I came to understand when we started working on the stern framing is that the bottom of the frames more or less form what would have been the counter. As a matter of fact, when I cut my frames, I shaped the bottom of the frames to approximate the shape of the counter.

So, what I've decided to do is to cut individual counters to go between each stern frame. I'll construct the stern framing as a complete assembly off the boat. Once the stern frame assembly is constructed, I'll glue it to the "R" bulkhead, drill holes through the bulkhead, and secured the assembly to the bulkhead with brass rods.

I've already started work on the stern frame assembly and it's going well so far. I should have pictures of the completed assembly to post sometime tomorrow.

Fletch

Edited by Captain Silver Beard Jones

Clark Fletcher

I can't wait to see Fletch. The stern timber issue is quite the hurdle to jump when converting to another version from Model Shipway's excellent model.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

After receiving some wood from the Constitution (thanks Henry), I started cutting and dimensioning pieces to construct a keel for my build. [Comment #24]

I placed an order to the USS Constitution Museum for some Constitution Wood and received a block 2 1/2" square x 3/4" thick for $5.50; not much to work with. How did you get such large pieces? I would love to incorporate some of the real ship's wood in my model when I start it a few years hence but with what I have, all I'll be able to do is mount the copper Constitution Medallion I also have made from her copper sheathing. There should be a new supply of wood once the new restoration gets into full swing this year, so hopefully there should be larger piece available ideally at reasonable prices.

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

I placed an order to the USS Constitution Museum for some Constitution Wood and received a block 2 1/2" square x 3/4" thick for $5.50; not much to work with. How did you get such large pieces? I would love to incorporate some of the real ship's wood in my model when I start it a few years hence but with what I have, all I'll be able to do is mount the copper Constitution Medallion I also have made from her copper sheathing. There should be a new supply of wood once the new restoration gets into full swing this year, so hopefully there should be larger piece available ideally at reasonable prices.

Bill (robnbill) suggested I contact popeye2sea (Henry) here on MSW. Henry is a member of the 1812 Marines who dress in period uniforms and conduct tours on the Constitution. They are a private organization and one of the things the do is recover wood from restorations of the Constitution. The wood currently available through the museum is spar material. while it's a good souvenir, it's not suitable for modeling anything.

I contacted Henry (a very nice guy btw), told him what I was going to use the wood for, and he cut me some pieces from some frame timbers they had recovered. Plus, being a huge fan of the Constitution, I made a nice donation to the 1812 Marines via PayPal through their website (www.1812marines.org).

Fletch

Edited by Captain Silver Beard Jones

Clark Fletcher

Thanks Fletch, I've sent a PM to Popeye2sea and now I can only hope for the best.

You might want to tell him you are looking for hardwood. I received a large piece, it was a spar. So I will be using it in the three ships boats and the name plate support.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Today I finished construction of the stern frame assembly. It won't win any beauty contests but, I figure it's all going to be covered by planking anyway. Here's a picture of the assembly after completion (still have some cleanup to do) and a couple of the frame assembly temporarily installed.

post-16296-0-61258700-1420148005_thumb.jpg

post-16296-0-47115400-1420148031_thumb.jpg

post-16296-0-84810200-1420148060_thumb.jpg

Clark Fletcher

Fletch, the stern framing looks good. Are you shaping your stern filler blocks next?

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Sorry, Fletch ...

:cheers:

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

No problem Captain Steve. What really bothered me the most from the very beginning is that the Isaac Hull model clearly shows a six window stern configuration. Regardless of how every one else has modeled it or painted it over the years, for major configuration items of that era, I still think the Hull model is probably the most reliable.

Even if I had stuck with the five window configuration, I was probably going to redo the stern framing anyway. Reconstructing the assembly with an additional frame would have been simple enough. However, being the extremely self-critical type, I knew I could fabricate frames that were much more precise than the ones I had come up with for the five window configuration.

That being said, I left the five window stern assembly as is and cut all new frames for the six window frame assembly. And, I must admit I'm much happier with the new frames. I've also attached temporary battens to the aft-most bulkheads that extend beyond where the stern will end. Hopefully, this will allow me to get the alignment of the outer frames port and starboard such that the hull will follow a nice smooth line all the way to the stern.

Clark Fletcher

William P. Bass' book shows the hull with a 8-window config., but only until about 1805-1807. After that it gets sketchy.

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

What really bothered me the most from the very beginning is that the Isaac Hull model clearly shows a six window stern configuration.

Exactly !! Sure, other details could have been open to interpretation (just like for any modeler), but you wouldn't think that sailors from the very ship would just take a guess, or use artistic licence, on the number of windows.

And, yet, the Corne paintings show a 5-window display ...

(But I do recall reading somewhere that he was not a naval man)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

There are many threads here with discussions on what source has wht bonifides. When i asked one of my questions to the Connie historian she referred back to the Hull model. My understanding of the model, second hand, is there are inconsistan ies within the model. Levels of detail changing depending where you look. What others have surmised, is the model ws built by a number of different sailors and somewhat rushed at the end when they learned Hull was leaving the ship. I don't know. It would ge great if there were actually detailed phots of the Hull model, but i have never found any.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

I ran across this beautiful rendition of the 1812 Conny by Mark Antczak. He has eight windows!!

http://www.shipmodel.com/models/constitution-old-ironsid