Benjamin W. Latham by frenchguy - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

Hi all,

here are some pictures of the work in progress. As you can see, I'm not too good at taking pictures..

Standing rigging is near complete (still need to do the ratlines, and pin racks). I finished the running rigging for the main mast and started eh fore mast. Still a lot to do, touch up paint on blocks, more details etc..

And I'm still exploring ways to remove the fuzz on my lines..

Stephan

IMG_9858.JPG

IMG_9859.JPG

IMG_9861.JPG

IMG_9865.JPG

IMG_9866.JPG

IMG_9867.JPG

Current Build: Hesper (kind of on hold), Wide A Wake

Completed Builds: Benjamin W. Latham, Le Renard, Smuggler, Bluenose, Pride of Baltimore, Alexandra, Jolie Brise, Marie Jeanne -1 and Marie Jeanne -2

Hi Tim,

I would highly recommend it, but of course I love fishing schooners 🙂

The plans and instructions by Erik Ronnberg are very detailed, as expected, and again I have the good fortune to see his model at the Cape Ann Essex museum http://www.capeannmuseum.org/collections/objects/schooner-benjamin-w-latham/

Plus the scale of the model makes it easier to work on details.

Stephan

Completed Builds: Benjamin W. Latham, Le Renard, Smuggler, Bluenose, Pride of Baltimore, Alexandra, Jolie Brise, Marie Jeanne -1 and Marie Jeanne -2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Tasmanian.

For the deck, I airbrushed the Badger Model Flex Marine Color, 16-418 Slate Gray.

Stephan

• 2 months later...

Well, hard to believe but I actually finished this build!!!! Well, almost, I still need to varnish the display board. I started this kit four years ago, and the lesson is that it's way too long. After a few months , I don't remember exactly where I left, I actually prepared spars that I already done and misplaced (and found them later!), etc..

As usual, I see a lot of areas that could be improved. I have also to admit that I may have rushed the past few months, because I really wanted to get it done before the 4 years deadline 😉.

So, when the varnish is dry, I'll take pictures and post in the finished model gallery.

Now is the time to think about a new project. Benjamin Latham was my 8th model ship. I could resume scratchbuilding Hesper (see my other blog), or start the Emma C. Berry which has been sitting on my shelves for years (never did a plank on frame before). Also, I have seen recently some building blogs of Hermione, a kit available from Artesania Latina, but on the expensive side. I have never built vessels that old, and I have special bonds with l'Hermione, which I can detail if I start that project. So we'll see.

Cheers

Stephan

• 1 month later...

Hello Tasmanian,

I used the fabric that came with the kit. it was Ok, but I still have to find a thinner fabric for sails in general, especially furled sails.

Stephan

• 8 months later...

Hello Frenchguy ,

I am looking to build the Benjamin Latham soon .When you are masking off with tape to paint the hull , can you tell me what you mean when you said " Burnishing the Tape " before use ? Do you think this is a good choice model for an Intermediate build ?

Thank .

Mike